Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

tiki mug holder

Pages: 1 22 replies

K

I made this today, dont really like my design. So the first one is free to the first person who posts a reply and likes this thing can have it without the mugs I know the mugs suck I never have good luck at the thrift stores. Shipping is even free in the us. If no one replys to this well I will know it was a bad idea.

[ Edited by: keigs20 on 2003-02-04 23:54 ]

Hi Ken,

I for one think it's excellent and am glad you tiki carvers are coming up with fresh ideas. After photographing ChikiTiki's Tiki "Sewing-basket" last week, seeing Gecko's "Mug Shrine" and now seeing your mug-holder, I'm encouraged and anxious to see what you guys come up with next.

I personally like the design. But then again, I'm a fan of Witco's long, attenuated tiki faces. I'd encourage you to work on it until you come up with a design that you're happy with. I think a set of Westwood mugs would look great hanging from this one, and it would give a bartender easy access to them. I think other mug collectors would go for it. And I'd be happy to buy or trade for it and pay for shipping. Honest.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-02-05 02:00 ]

K

Its yours no cost. I was bored thought I would try something different. Thanks for the reply and compliments I hope you like it. Email me your address at [email protected] and I will send it to ya! Thanks again

L
laney posted on Wed, Feb 5, 2003 5:15 AM

Boo! I thought I'd be the first. But I'd like to offer my opinion as a humble Witco collector. I love the style but think small shelves may go over better to the tiki mug collectors on ebay and here, as most mugs don't have handles. Also a skinny shelf unit would work well between art (like velvet paintings) on our crowded walls as well as adding depth to an art display.
I especially LOVE the guy on the bottom with his tongue out. Beautiful work, Laney

I wish I had been first! I really like it and we have lots of handled mugs that would love a new home (they usually get pushed to the back of a shelf). Oh well, that's just my luck. I think you do great work though and always love seeing it!

Successful or not, with this you are in the tradition of Bill's "no apology for bad taste/I'll try everything once" spirit that makes Witco stuff so great. He always had a sense of humor about his own creations, that's what comes through.

Cool idea Keigs! I am really excited that "us" tiki carvers are doing new stuff. Hopefully we will grow as artists and business people by introducing new things. So we benefit from the challenge and the collector's benefit with cool pieces. Nothing wrong with that!

K

Lenay and Waikiki Thanks for the input and compliments. I have antoher one in the works I think it will be a little more mug friendly. I finaly found some big grained swamp cedar and think I have almost got the Witco finish down with a few tips from Bill of course. Bigbro thanks for the encourgement hope to meet you some time in the future and buy your new book when it comes out. Chikitiki thanks I have a lot of ideas but the builder in me has not figured out how to work with the carver yet.

K

Here is the new improved model. This one is not free. It took forever to build and I am still picking slivers out of my hands. Probably sell it on ebay or something.

M

Much better.

Look forward to seeing more work.

midnite

i would love a shelf like that....but wider to handle 1 more mug/glass per side....and a MIRROR behind!!!!. but i would settle for the one pictured now and put my own mirror in!. there is a huge need for tiki glass/mug display shelves(HINT HINT).email me at: [email protected] for my deposit when your ready!. "F" ebay, who wants to wait 6 days!.

Man, that is nice!...I have been wrecking my brains on how to include some of your work in my book. I am already doing a chapter on Bosko, and you deserve a couple of pages for sure, but my dilemma is:

A.) I want to stay consistent with the "Studio lighting" look of all the newly photographed objects

B.) You are selling your best pieces, and I can't photograph them anymore (which is off course what you should do)

...so that leaves us only
C.) I trust you kept a photographic record of all that you have carved so far (digital only?), so I will have to work with that material and see how it would fit in the art direction of the book.

Anyway, keep up the good work, the book is still miles away, but keep fotos of all the stuff...

I agree, this one is great! Really nice work. You're right twowheelin.....a mirror would be great behind that!

I love the mug shelf!

Sounds like bigbrotiki needs a little help -- surely with all the creative people on this list there MUST be a photographer with a healthy tiki obsession in the Seattle (?) area who could light and photograph Ken's work for the book!

Anyone?

-Mike

K

Thanks you guys and gals. A mirror is a good Idea but it would probably break during shipping. I think those UPS guys just throw the boxes off the trucks.
Bigbro- I do have a ton of pictures but they are all digital. I also have a roll of slide film I have not developed. I dont know if there would be any pictures worth putting in your book though. I am definetly not a photographer. I have sold most of my creations to people in California some of them TC members so you may be able to photograph a totem that is in the area. I will try to take some good slide film pictures of the shelf and future pieces. Just tell me when you need them and I can send them your way.

big "K", they have this cool invention called "packing materials" when combined with a roomy box with bubble pack will get that shelf and mirror to my tiki paradise with no damage!(just sassing ya). but seriously, when and how much??. the money is burning a hole ...........plus if i wait too long, another motorcycle might become available and i'll be broke again.

K

Hey twowheelin, I emailed you last week told you to make me an offer I cant refuse. I have been in Kauai for the last week drinking mai tais and playing music with a guy they called braddah Joe. I got back yesterday and the email I sent you had been retuned. So email me with your offer and I will try to take some of your extra money thats burning holes in you pocket.

S

I just can't believe the talent here!

ITS MINE, ALL MINE!!!!!. damn this boy does some damn nice work.my wife loves the smell of the wood(sharpened pencils), what is it?.you folks need to spend you hard earned bucks on his stuff, you will be happy you did.

DZ

A pair of masks Ken made just arrived today (damn, they are sooooo nice!), and I was just commenting to Z Girl about their 'burnt-wood' aroma when I read your post - what is it? I really like it! It conjures up images of something dark and mysterious, yet reminds me of something from my childhood as well. Very, very cool...

K

Hey twowheelin and docter Z I am glad you are happy with your shelf and masks. The smell is a mixture of burnt cedar and wax all buffed together. It reminds me of old schools or houses. I am working on more shelves seems like there is a shortage of mug shelves if anyone is interested I will work out a deal with TC ers you will have a few different choices of styles and prices.

just make them and post pics!, the rest is easy!. dont forget to pay tribute to bigbrotiki!!

K

Ok here is the first few styles. I am sure you have already seen them on ebay. I hope to have a few more styles in a few days. Shipping will be $15.00 for the small ones and $20.00 for the bigger ones. If anyone is interested email me [email protected]

This one #1 is $70.00 and measures 30 inches long by 20 inches tall and 6 inches thick including mask.

This one #2 is $70.00 and measures 30 inches long by 20 inches tall and 6 inches thick including mask.

this one #3 is $45.00 and measures 30 inches long by 20 inches tall and 6 inches thick including mask

[ Edited by: keigs20 on 2003-03-06 22:13 ]

Pages: 1 22 replies