Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Adze found in Polynesia came from Kahoolawe

Pages: 1 13 replies

Read the Whole story here

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:51 ]

TD

if you look real close ,it says 'SNAP-ON' on the side.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:52 ]

Thanks for that link Filslash, that is a huge discovery!
I've been interested in Polynesian voyaging and the Hokule'a since I read "Eddie Would Go".
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: tiki royale 2007-10-03 10:16 ]

TD

YET,in your profile your interests are music tiki,babes, beerand fun. lighten up son.

T

On 2007-10-03 07:28, filslash wrote: I am interested in Polynesian Voyaging not who has witco chairs.

Concur...
good article, I always thought that was so incredible to make it that far on a raft and to find out now there is evidence that they went back as well.

On 2007-10-03 09:24, tikihai wrote:

On 2007-10-03 07:28, filslash wrote: I am interested in Polynesian Voyaging not who has witco chairs.

Concur...
good article, I always thought that was so incredible to make it that far on a raft and to find out now there is evidence that they went back as well.

Not that hard to believe considering prevailing wind and seas. If you were to enter the Alenuihaha channel or the Kealaikahiki you would drift to the next landmass, Society Islands, Tahiti. The ancient Polynesians knew this and would travel to the fertile fishing grounds in the northern Hawaiian Island like Necker. There they would fill there canoes with as much fish as they could. the trip home is all down hill. The Tahitian have been doing this since at least the 12th century, as the Hawaiians claim the pahu drum was introduced to them by the Tahitians around that time. Some 800 years ago at least.

A friend of mine rents dive cameras to tourist here on Maui. One day a renter lost one of his cameras, he thought to Davie Jone's locker. Long story short, 18 months later he gets a call. They found his camera on the shores of Tahiti. It even had a little coral polyp growing on it.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-03 11:13 ]

T

On 2007-10-03 10:58, AlienTiki wrote:

Not that hard to believe considering prevailing wind and seas.

It is for me...Even with todays modern tecnology, radar, gps, global cell etc. boats get lost everyday.
To rely on a current to take you over 2000 miles in blue water is a huge gamble. So many variables that it isn't even funny. See "Eddie Would Go"...

Yeah, I've read the book.:roll:

I guess my idea of a "huge gamble" is a little different.

On 2007-10-03 09:23, TIKI DAVID wrote:
YET,in your profile your interests are music tiki, babes, beer and fun. Lighten up son.

Try This Link Tiki David

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:52 ]

T

AlienTiki said:

Not that hard to believe considering prevailing wind and seas. If you were to enter the Alenuihaha channel or the Kealaikahiki you would drift to the next landmass, Society Islands, Tahiti.

This is just total BS...I hope no one is naive enough to believe this.

It's okay if you don't want to believe me. :)

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-06 12:49 ]

T

Cool...I have an entirely different outlook on this. Nothing but respect for the people that are still doing this voyage in the old polynesian style. My experience with the Alenuihaha Channel is that it is one of the most treacherous 30 miles of water anywhere in the ocean. I believe the part about the camera is quite possible but that anything unnavigable that enters this channel is just as likely to end up in China. Just Sayin'

T

On 2007-10-03 12:03, filslash wrote:

On 2007-10-03 09:23, TIKI DAVID wrote:
YET,in your profile your interests are music tiki, babes, beer and fun. Lighten up son.

Hahahaaa. Nothing like a little flame to ignite a thread.

Yes, those ARE SOME of the things I am interested in. I wrote that in 2003 when I joined this board and really haven't thought about that line in my profile since.

That line in my profile doesn't mention plenty of my interests...

I have a great respect for voyaging traditions. Without the greatest sailors the world has ever known, Polynesian traditions would have never spread throughout the Pacific. I have been to all 3 corners and a few spots in the middle of the South Pacific as well as all of the Hawaiian islands. This is actually a really thrilling discovery for those of us that follow the actual science of it all.

Try This Link Tiki David

peace,
fil/

[ Edited by: filslash 2007-10-03 12:05 ]

It's a very cool find! I haven't read the articles yet, but I'm going to. I certainly believe the polynesians frequently traveled back and forth between the islands; not saying it was easy or without danger, risky, etc.

Very neat to have scientific evidence tracing the route that settlement may have occurred throughout the islands or signs of trading activity.

Also - I think TikiDavid may just have been kidding. "Snap-On" - get it? Snap-On tools! Haha! That is pretty funny. :lol:

Pages: 1 13 replies