Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

mai kai oh so deadly

Pages: 1 10 replies

I
irishf posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2007 9:36 PM

Anyone know the recipe for Mai Kai's Oh So Deadly? I was there last week and had a few, would love to know how to make it. That is one tasty drink.

I tasted alot of John D Taylor's falernum in it, and it came in a short martini shaped glass lined with a thick layer of shaved ice. Very tasty drink!

I
irishf posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2007 6:13 AM

Thanks, Rarin'. That's a great clue, and I think you're right. I think it had dark rum, too. If only I was still there and could do some more taste tests. 8)

M

At least as of Hukilau #5, the Mai Kai didn't use John D Taylors.

I
irishf posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2007 7:42 AM

Another clue! Thanks Martiki.

I have a whole page of Mai Kai photos on my blog, from my trip there last week. Including the Oh So Deadly.

http://yogaluca.blogspot.com

Those recipes are well-protected secrets. No one knows them!

I
irishf posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2007 2:49 PM

I don't think it hurts to ask, or to try and figure out what's in there. All part of the fun, IMO.

Well, all of the locals are going to be there next friday (more here) so I'll ask around and see if we can get enough drinkers and try to reverese engineer it.....

G

That's a week from next Friday (the 19th). But count me in on the taste test. I'll make sure to order one.

I
irishf posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2007 6:06 PM

Thanks! And I'm jealous. Loooove the Oh So Deadly.

Chip&Andy, thanks for the blog post and warm welcome, I certainly would have alerted you had I known a meetup was possible. Love your blog.

Suddenly, I have a craving for crab rangoon...

Reviving an old thread with a link to the recipe, which we just posted on our Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/

Oh So Deadly is The Mai-Kai's version of Don the Beachcomber's Never Say Die, which was featured in Beachbum Berry's "Grog Log" and "Remixed." There's just one important tweak.

Pages: 1 10 replies