Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Be on TV with The Maikai Gents/Chikitiki Feb 18. Lava Lounge

Pages: 1 33 replies

IG

Aloha, Friends of Tiki Central! Come on out and see the show. New old-songs! Audience tippling participation! Chikitiki's art! Earn points to get yourselves future invites and swag! Fun! Here's the info:

AlooooHA!
The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa invite you to join us on February 18 for a very special evening of music and art at Lava Lounge in Hollywood. Not only will you see us strumming and crooning favorite tunes from Hawaii's Golden Age, but you'll also experience the dazzling carvings of famed tiki artist Chikitiki. Be prepared to take home a Chikitiki original creation, as he's providing a free doorprize to a lucky audience member! Of course, there will be a free Maikai Gents souvenir for all in attendance. This will also mark the stage debut of Kiwini Hekili Hoku, our new bass player. You afficianados will remember him from such fun and influential bands as The Finks, The Witchdoctors, The Huntington Cads, and The Mighty Kegsmen. Following us will be the wild, instrumental surf sounds of The Volcanics. Lava Lounge is located at 1533 N. La Brea at Sunset (323)876-6612 The doors open at 9:00pm and we'll start up shortly thereafter. All this island magic can be yours for only $3.
In the meantime, please visit http://www.mkgents.com, sign our guestbook and include your e-mail address. This will ensure that you get all the exciting news and intriguing promotions we have to offer, including how you can be invited to special Maikai Gents hosted parties (and other gifts & prizes) for coming to our shows. Details will be announced at Lava Lounge on the 18th. Looking forward to seeing you in this exotic paradise. Mahalo!

-Your friends,

The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

Sway your hula hips over to http://www.mkgents.com

[ Edited by: iuka grogg on 2003-02-12 11:19 ]

T

My advise to anyone close to LA? Get in your outrigger and GO to this event.

I have seen the Maikai Gents perform twice and they are a great group to see.

I think that the Volcanics are performing after the Gents. I have not seen them but heard that they have a great surf sound.

Whatever tiki pops into my dream tonight is what I'll carve starting tomorrow for the door prize. Unless any folks out there that are going to join us have suggestions?

AlooooHA!

Be on TV with The Maikai Gents! This coming Tuesday, February 18, a team producing a documentary on Southern California tiki culture will be taping our show at Lava Lounge. Here's a great chance to show the world what a great scene we have going on down here. Get into the spirit and wear your finest and flashiest aloha attire. What a night it'll be: The fabulous Lava Lounge, the caressing music of The Maikai Gents, the provocative art of Chikitiki, the wave-crashing sounds of The Volcanics, and your chance at TV immortality! Lava Lounge is located at 1533 N. La Brea at Sunset (323)876-6612 The doors open at 9:00pm and we'll start up shortly thereafter. All this island magic can be yours for only $3.

Your friends,

The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

p.s. Dont' forget - Chikitiki is providing a fabulous one-of-a-kind door prize to be won by a lucky audience member. Free Maikai Gents souvenir to all in attendance!

JUst finished up the door prize a couple of days ago. Hope y'all are going, because I would like for this to go to a good tiki home.If I have time I'll do another prize.

What channel is the documentary being filmed for (PBS,KCET,etc)? I'd like to make sure I tape it since I probably won't be able to make it on Tuesday. I've decided to stay home with my family after the guilt-trip Bong put on me the other day...

S

Aw, c'mon Pop! This was one event I was gonna try and catch! Take the family with you. I've seen our Ohana and yous will look good on TV!

Aloha,

Arty

As Tiki as I wanna be.

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-02-12 18:48 ]

Arty, believe me - I really want to go but wifey doesn't get home until around 10pm. Plus, I don't think taking the kids would be a good idea. A 3-year old and a 6-month old might be just a tad out of place!

Damn, I feel like I'm missing out already! :(

S

I hear ya, Popster. It's gonna be a challenge for me to get there but I'm working at home for the month, so I just might make it if T wants to venture out on a school nite.

When is the next local weekend gig, anyhoo?

Stentiki,

Me and Popster were just talking about that yesterday. WE NEED ANOTHER LOCAL EVENT!

Jeez, it's been 4 weeks since our last drunken luau.

I'll try to think of something, but if anyone else has any ideas (that don't involve castor oil or sulpher) speak up in the name of KU!

Polynesian Pop - Bring the kids, it's a wonder how far a couple fake ID's and false beards will get you! Come on, we're having a luau, everbody will be there, all your friends you will see there.

Stentiki - We sure hope you and Tiki-T can make it out. We'll toast to her new gig! As far as weekend happenings, we've got some retirement home shows coming up you could crash, but keep in mind May 9,10,11. That'll be a doozy of a weekend!

Tiki_Bong - Speaking of speaking up about another fun event, it seems a certain "big brother" around here has been hinting quite a bit about bowling at the Mar Vista Lanes. Sounds fun to me, how 'bout it?

Tiki Central - Have a fabulous day, filled with the spirit of aloha!

-Iuka Grogg

I'm planning on heading out to the show!

And, in regards to having another local event... isn't someone's birthday coming up soon? I won't mention a name, but it starts with "B" and ends with "ONG".......

:tiki:

Billabong!?
Wow, the surf/skate/snowboard company is having a birthday? cooooool.......

No - Bangagong! :music: Get it on - Bangagong. :music:

I'm getting ready for this Mai Kai show, I'm just trying to pick wich shirt I should wear.

Hi folks, who else is gonna come out tonight?

L
laney posted on Tue, Feb 18, 2003 9:40 AM

me!

:music:I'll be there. :music:
:music:I'll be theeeerrre. :music:
:music:Just call my na-aaaame, and I'll be theeeeerre. :music:

Ooops...sorry. This overload of Michael Jackson on television must be getting to me.

...and I will be there!

I will be there to behold the gents. King will probably be there later on.

I can't wait to see which shirt Suicide Sam picked for the evening!

I'm just wondering which cameras will be shooting there tonight. If it's Fox Undercover cameras is it mandatory that we all act ignint? You know like, "Man the Tiki culture is all about smoking weed, drinking forties, and busting caps on suckas!!!".

I'll be going with some friends. Hope to spot some TCers!

On 2003-02-12 13:41, PolynesianPop wrote:
What channel is the documentary being filmed for (PBS,KCET,etc)? I'd like to make sure I tape it since I probably won't be able to make it on Tuesday.

Poly Pop, this is a project of two nice older (meaning my age) guys who are musicians. They are doing it out of their own interest, for public access cable TV in Long Beach.

What channel is the documentary being filmed for (PBS,KCET,etc)? I'd like to make sure I tape it since I probably won't be able to make it on Tuesday.

Poly Pop, this is a project of two nice older (meaning my age) guys who are musicians. They are doing it out of their own interest, for public access cable TV in Long Beach.

S

We're in!

See you there.

So how did it go? Any pics? Anybody plug TC to the camera?

It was a fun evening seeing everyone, but WHERE WAS THE CAMERA?

The only camera I saw going was Floratina's! I was going to take some digital pics, but because of the neighborhood, and the distance I had to park, I wasn't going to walk down (those streets) with a digital camera in hand. I'm spoiled here in Huntington Beach.

SugarCaddyDaddy

We had a blast last night! T and I decided to venture into the night at the last minute and we were glad we did.

The Mai Kai Gents were superb and Iuka Grogg's voice is as smooth as Demerera Rum. Miss Mauna Loa was hypnotic and the band didn't miss a tribal beat!

It was great seeing everyone again. We shared drinks with the very suave Suicide Sam for the first time and TC was representin' with the likes of Sven, Floratina, King Kuku, Sugar Caddy Daddy, Johnny (can I get a drink?) Velour and others that I did not get a chance to chat with.

Chiki's carvings were awesome and his giveaways were these really cool Marquesan style plaques that I unfortunately did not win (and that Diablo Tiki was pretty cool too!).

Anyhoo, I did not take any pix but I'm sure someone did. Floratina was armed with the video cam so maybe she will share some stills with us.

Much fun and much Tiki love.

Can you feel the love?

WOW! What a night! You guys packed that place and gave us such cheer! THANK YOU!! Chikitiki's art was a big hit and the door prizes were fantastic! What more can I say, I'm just blown away by the great turnout and overall fun vibe. Let's please do it again soon! Pictures anyone? WOW!

-Iuka Grogg

p.s. The TV guys were there, but because they didn't have clearance to tape the club interior or the audience (Lava Lounge policy), they stayed right up front with a hand-held camera.

PolynesianPop wrote:

BigBroTiki wrote:

Has this been seen yet by anyone? Is there a video/DVD copy available? Any word at all?

Pages: 1 33 replies