Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Any Ventura/Oxnard/Malibu (CA) tiki bars?

Pages: 1 9 replies

C

I'm going to be in that area the weekend of the 12th through the 14th. I'm mostly down there to visit Channel Islands National Park, but I figured: hey, there's probably SOME tiki bar around there that's worth checking out, right? So far I haven't seen much clear evidence of that from online research, though -- the only thing I've turned up is the Aloha Lounge in Ventura, which doesn't seem to have generated a lot of enthusiasm in these parts. Any suggestions? I'm willing to drive outside that area, but probably not too far outside that area -- although if you think something's really worth going two hours of the way to see, do let me know. :)

FWIW, I'm driving down from San Jose. My impression is that there's not a lot between here and there. (And, yes, I've been up to Forbidden Island in Alameda a few times!)

You have to go to The Hong Kong Inn on Friday or Saturday Evening. Great Drinks in Scorpion Bowls, Yummy Chinese Cuisine, and a Polynesian Revue that starts at 9:00pm.

435 E. Thompson Blvd, Ventura
(805)648-3161

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24675&forum=16&vpost=317237

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-10-05 18:51 ]

RR

I would eat someplace else before you catch the show. The food really isn't too good.

yeah Aloha leaves something to be desired.......Hong Kong drinks are mediocre.....but its a fun time for the show and all we really have........plus downtown has some other fun places.....if you coming out let me know I will try and meet you

P

Did anyone ever checkout Coco d'Amour (I think that is what it was called) in Simi Valley? It looked like it had some real potential, especially for food. The one time I was there they were newly opened and did not have their liquor license yet.

around the corner from where I used to live out there....gonna have to go out and check it out

C

In theory, I'll be in Ventura tomorrow, and I'll try to get to the Hong Kong Lounge by 8:30. There are some "ifs" involved here, as my car is in the shop now. It was supposed to be done today, but is now "we're gonna get it ready by 10am tomorrow." So pretty much, I have to make that trip from here (San Jose) to there starting around 11am here at best, which is about three hours later than I'd really planned on. (It'll be exciting! Really.)

I'll do my best to post an update one way or the other tomorrow morning/afternoon.

And on the way. We'll see what time I actually make. (If I show up tonight at HK, I'll be a long-haired guy in a red and blue palm tree Aloha shirt.)

C

...and indeed, I'm here and do expect to show up a bit before 9. Off to Anacapa Brewing Company for dinner first, I think, based on Chowhound-ish recommendations.

The place in Simi Valley sounds very good food-wise from their web site, but a bit far afield for tonight, at least. I'll see about tomorrow -- although I may attempt sushi or other Japanese around Studio City instead. (Yes, I do tend to plan mini-vacations around restaurants.)

coco d'amore in simi is some damn fine food. We went opening weekend, cool place, more african than tiki but close enough!. Amazing food.

Pages: 1 9 replies