Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Looking for more info about photo on Pg9 of Sippin'

Pages: 1 4 replies

Does anyone know how I could get a good copy of the photo Jeff put on page 9 of Sippin' Safari? Hoe about just more info on who/where/when?

Mahalo!

Err...that would be me. These are some of the ghosts of the Chin Tiki. You will recognize the under sea mural behind the bar:

Redrum!

I lent that pic to Jeff for his book, having gotten it from Marvin Chin's son during my expedition to the ruins of the Chin Tiki. Unfortunately, he had no memory as to the identity of any of the characters depicted. His father having passed away, and his mother being an old curmudgeonly Chinese business lady, the chances to find out more are slim. But seeing what our mystery bartendress is concocting here (liberally pouring Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cacao) might suggest that she is merely posing, and not a professional.

I hope this higher than normal res pic will suffice:

...on a side note, the above background jogged my memory, and now I wonder if I can file this 1957 photo under "early Tiki influences":

The kid on the left is my brother Oliver, the chubby dude on the right is me! These kind of early visual influences burn themselves into young, unfilled minds, and are later sought out throughout ones life for comfort and security. :)

On 2007-10-07 08:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
...But seeing what our mystery bartendress is concocting here (liberally pouring Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cacao) might suggest that she is merely posing, ...

I agree that this is a staged shot. The bottles are pretty, but if you look closely she is not actually pouring anything. It even looks like one of the speed-pours is turned up so as to not pour anything.

It is a great shot, and i really love the pineapple presentation to the left of our 'server.' Maybe she is somebody's wife? Or some minor celebrity? Local Beauty Queen?

Mahalo nui for getting me the info you could, BBT.

I appreciate it alot.

I realised it was staged right from the start. I mean, at that time, they really didn't let the ladies near the bottles when it came to making the real drinks, anyway.

I just love her expression; I see kinda a mix between hautiness and bewilderment. Creme de Minthe; that's what the other bottle says....

Pages: 1 4 replies