Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Modern book signing event this Sunday Oct 14th at 8 Ball in Burbank!

Pages: 1 20 replies

Just a heads up, the details will follow:

For all those who could not make it to the Taschen Hollywood store on a workday eve, drop in from a Sunday stroll on lovely Magnolia Boulevard for some books and booze.

More here soon :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-10-08 16:00 ]

OK, folks, here are the specifics:

Sunday Oct. 14th, 4-6pm
at 8 Ball
3806 W. Magnolia Blvd.,
Burbank 91505
Tel.: 818.845.1155

Bar hosted by the Tonga Hut! http://www.tongahut.com
Witco exhibit! Tiki Modern Tour posters and postcards!
Lotsa cool books, new Tiki shirts and mugs, and other swell swag!

I will have to go on location to shoot a TV movie again the end of October and won't be back in town until mid-December, so this is likely the last chance for a personal dedication by yours truly for the rest of the year.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-10-08 16:02 ]

Is that ad going to be available as a poster?

Hell, no, I just made that up a couple of minutes ago for fun! By hand-cutting and pasting my old invite and Naomi's classic postcard together....you can still see the imperfect scissor cuts on the edge of her bubble cockpit :) . Scanned it and slapped on here.

Now you're making me think twice about having tossed my handywork into the wastepaper basket after I was done. :D
(The poster that will be for sale will be the Euro Tour poster.)

OK, here's another "limited edition" collage:

And before you ask: No, that is NOT me, and those items will NOT be for sale! :)

I'd be there fo' sure but...

must rest for Sham 69 and the Objexts Sun. night in the LBC.

Have a good one Sven and Naomi!!!

p.s. if you have any of those Hula Punk CD's for sale, can you hold me one?

Moohalos!

Whot !? Sham 69 are playing? In the original line up? I am there....maybe...not....

I have ONE Hula Punk CD and it is for YOU, Schatzi! :D

Sweet! A chance for us working stiffs to make it.

Oi! Ben! Wanna thumb wrestle for that last CD?

T

Any book signing planned in the bay area???

On 2007-10-08 12:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
Just a heads up, the details will follow:

For all those who could not make it to the Taschen Hollywood store on a workday eve, drop in from a Sunday stroll on lovely Magnolia Boulevard for some books and booze.

More here soon :D
Seco and Frank from the Martini Kings will be on hand to play a little exotica live ,have a mai tai with sven and enjoy the fab witco pieces!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-10-08 16:00 ]

[ Edited by: martini kings 2007-10-11 14:44 ]

O

On 2007-10-09 18:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK, here's another "limited edition" collage:

And before you ask: No, that is NOT me, and those items will NOT be for sale! :)

Sure looks like you. Your brother then?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-11 15:01 ]

H

Seco and Frank all right-eo...Q-tiki and I will be there.

Get your M&Ms at 8 Ball today!:

Modernist Tiki, Mai Tais, and Martini Kings Music !

..plus: MITCO ! :D

Hope to see you all today @ 8 BALL!

Incredible shopping, good company, fabulous music by the Martini Kings, Meet the man behind the TIKI MODERN bible, and I'll be slingin' Mai Tais compliments of the Tonga Hut. . . so don't EVEN TRY to tell me you have some thing better to do on a lovely lazy Sunday afternoon!

So come on down!

Here are our pictures of Sven’s TIKI MODERN book signing today at the 8 BALL in Burbank.

Sven and the lovely Naomi proprietor of the 8 Ball.

Mr Hoptiki thinks they have some really great books at the 8 Ball.

That's me, Mrs Hoptiki.

Sven brought some of his Witco pieces. Really neat stuff!

The Martini Kings played some cool tiki music. Love those Vibes!

We had the great pleasure of meeting the infamous/notorious GROG. Hey Grog! Sorry we couldn’t name other TC’ers in the photos. Hope that changes soon.

Sven signed our book and we had a nice chat . Thanks Sven, it’s a terrific book.

That’s us, Mr & Mrs Hoptiki with TIKI MODERN author Sven Kirsten.

Best,
Mr & Mrs Hoptiki

We had a great time at the book signing tonight! Sven's book is terrific, but I would have showed up just to enjoy the good company and have some tasty mai tais. Thanks to everyone who hosted the event!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 14, 2007 10:44 PM

Thanks for the nice book signing event. It was good seeing some of the familiar TCers and meeting new ones (Mr&.Mrs. Hoptiki and the Tikiwagons). Delicious mai tais Suzy. Enjoyed the Martini Kings providing the tunes. Let's do it again next weekend!

Naomi and Sven, you two know how to do a book signing. Music, Mai Tais, Martini Kings + Tiki Modern.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-15 08:39 ]

I made it to the signing despite the 5 north freeway closure, took 2 1/2 hrs. to arrive at a destination that usually takes 45 min. Glad I went! Trader Tom, Ilene, dibroc & Paula and myself dined out at Damon's afterwards. It was great to also see Grog, Boris & a few others at Damon's as well. Thanks Sven, Tonga Hut & the lovely miss Suzy for coming out to Burbank! We had a Great time :wink: Oh The Martini Kings too! Great sounds!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-10-15 00:37 ]

What a nice afternoon that was! Thanks to the Martini Kings, who filled the store with their soothing swinging sounds with just a stand up bass and vibes, and the Tonga Hut, who filled our minds with Mai Tai goodness! And most of all thanks to the woman in my life, Naomi, for being such a gracious hostess.

There is little to ad in terms of pictures, perhaps this:

Martini King Tony bringing in some gear, flanked by Witco's female and male dancers

...and I think the real star of the show deserves his own glamor shot, I think it looks better without me:

another great event you got us into this time sven, MAHALO!!!!!!what a great way to spend a sunday afternoon- celebrating the release of tiki modern , my fave new read!
thanks so much to fab hostess and proprietor of 8 ball naomi.she rocks(in a tiki-loungy way) we had fun shopping!
as always, suzi looked adorable as she mixed some killer deadly delicious
mai -tais courtesy of the tonga hut.(the martini kings always play better when we're all f***** up!)(and sound better too!
good seeing grog and old friends dave and sue that just happened to drop in from nearby england!
have a great trip sven and when you return let's do it again.
best,
SECO (from the martini kings)
s
)

Pages: 1 20 replies