Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Don the Beachcomber - large matchbook painting

Pages: 1 11 replies

I

The following article is about an artist named Tom Hofer, who makes large paintings based on old matchbook covers. There is only one painting shown in the article, but it is a good one - a giant sized Don the Beachcomber matchbook.

(from the article) A true Tiki aficionado, Hofer was initially drawn to the Polynesian island motif found on the matchbook backs of such legendary L.A. hangouts as Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber. Later, appreciating the range of humor, sexiness and extraordinary graphics on matchbooks, he began to reproduce them on 20- by 25-inch canvases.

The full article and link can be found here ....
http://www.palisadespost.com/content/index.cfm?Story_ID=3261

COOL!! :)

I'd like to see what other paintings he's done!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M

Can anyone see a marketing bonanza like SHAG does with his art? Man oh man! I would be quite interested in having some of this guy's art around!

Where does one get a Staple that big?

Cool stuff!

On 2007-10-09 09:32, Jeff Central wrote:
COOL!! :)

I'd like to see what other paintings he's done!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

The article says they are collages, it looks to be cut paper stuck on to the canvas to me, if you look closely you will see some shadowing. Very neat idea!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

I thought there was a little 3-D action going on there but I thought it was the Mai Tai talking again. :wink:

What a cool idea!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2007-10-14 05:25, Jeff Central wrote:
I thought there was a little 3-D action going on there but I thought it was the Mai Tai talking again. :wink:

What a cool idea!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

You are right Jeff...that is a cool idea...Two Mai-Tais please barman!!

Trader Jim - Make mine one of what Jeff's having!).

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2007-10-17 14:27 ]

That is a great idea. I have done a few paintings along the same lines.I love the images on the old matchbooks.
Kauai Surf

Kahiki

CJ

On 2008-11-01 12:35, V-TownTiki wrote:
That is a great idea. I have done a few paintings along the same lines.I love the images on the old matchbooks.
Kauai Surf

Kahiki

Do you have any up for sale? I have a collection of matchbooks and something like this would be awesome.

J

Here is a link to Tom Hofer's website and his 'awesome' Matchbook cover art/collages. I would love to see one in person!! Is Tom a TC member or lurker? He has many matchbooks collages of vintage polynesian "joints"

http://www.pungentrecords.com/pages/Collages.htm

Great job Tom! Say Hi to us!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2008-11-03 04:15 ]

Hi, all! Tom Hofer here, at long last. Been an on-and-off lurker but after going to the awesome San Francisco Tiki Crawl a few weeks back, I've decided I should join up!

I'm glad you guys like my art concept! :D What I basically do is faithful large-scale reproductions of vintage matchbooks using art paper, tread tape (that stuff you put on your stairs so you don't slip and crack your head open like a coconut) and a coat hanger for the staple.

I got the idea after going through my dad's old matchbook collection in which there was one from the House of Lee, a great old Chinese restaurant in Pacific Palisades. I wanted to turn it into a poster, but since my background in newspaper layout relied heavily on Xacto-knife wielding and paper gluing, I did a collage instead.

28 collages (and dozens of ebay matchbook purchases) later, still having a blast!

I haven't quite yet determined how best to ship finished collages to potential customers outside the LA area, but check my website every so often or email me at [email protected] and I'll speed up the learning process!

I'm also (constantly) looking for places to show my art - galleries or appropriate tiki locales, so if anyone knows of anyplace, please let me know!

Tom

Pages: 1 11 replies