Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Is there interest in personalized rum casks?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I’m thinking of starting a business selling imported rum casks imprinted with Tiki designs on the ends. This would range from Tiki type clip art or personalizations like ‘Beachcomber’s Tiki Bar’. These would be small, quality, useable casks, not simply decorations, that could fit on a bar shelf between your Tiki mug collection. I’m going to float a balloon and sell some on eBay by ordering just a few and see how they sell, but if I knew there is some interest from TC people I would buy a larger order (shipping is killer on heavy items like these).

RB

Any ballpark on a price?

It's a great idea - definitely have an interest, but I agree, price is key (as well as size - how big are you talking about, like one gallon casks or smaller?)

I'm trying to keep the price under $50 for 1 liter casks, shipping would bump that up some. It's more than most mugs, but you're getting a whole lot more for the money, especially since it's something you customized.

I could also do 2, 3, 5, 10 and 20 liters for not that much more.

I can put on old post cards, defunct restaurant marques, some bar logo, etc. Anything that doesn't have a copyright.

I'd love to make a deal with some of the Tiki artists out there - mug makers, prints, carvings - and commission or license images. For the general public I'd give kick backs to anyone who ordered a cask with a cool design I liked and I could sell.

Anyone want to put up on this thread an image you think might look good??? Designs with high contrast black & white images work the best. Kind of like the vinyl Tiki decals people put on their cars.

[ Edited by: beachcomber 2007-10-10 15:22 ]

sounds great - still definitely interested....

maybe post a picture of a completed one once you have a sample, as well as website or other details to order once you are organized to get going!

T

Well, that second image down is a Munktiki mug but it does look pretty good on there. I bet Munktiki would sell their designs but there are probably TCers on here that would lend an image for free. I would if I had something. My birdman logo maybe

Opps, I didn't mean to put a Munktiki design up. I've been testing different methods of converting pictures to high contrast images and I've lost track of what is what. I took it off the thread.

I'd love to see your birdman image! Please put it up. You can put a 'sample' stamp on it to protect your property.

Here are some other examples I just found that have a little color. They're commecially available clip art that I think would look good. But of course, original art is always more fun.

It's a great idea ! My Sailor Jerry does not last for to long though !

On 2007-10-09 09:30, Beachcomber wrote:
Is there interest in personalized rum casks?

I would say so.
Where are they from? :o

T

The Birdman Cult. I like the way this came out for it is a strong shape for being a cement ornament and the neck and the shoulders are perfect mirrors of each other (inside lines). The back of the bird has a stomach shape to it. Of course the drawing of it had tighter lines from the cement end-product.

It's a great image. I tried a little picture manipulation to see how it'd work as a graphic. I'd have to work on the eyes to get it right, but I think it works really well.

Pages: 1 10 replies