Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

jim3da - first carving

Pages: 1 13 replies

J

So this is my first tiki.... i started carving about a week ago with some trim for my bar and bought a block of basswood. I'm using a flexcut carving kit and just got a dremel... This was mostly done with the flexcuts and then I did some sanding and grinding with the dremel to clean it up a bit. I feel like I still didn't get as deep as I wanted to though and I was wondering what people prefer to use as dremel bits. It seemed like the grinding bits were the most useful. Please feel free to send constructive criticism my way (it's much nicer than unconstructive criticism).

oh- I also used a little torch to blacken the mouth and around the eyes. (That was the most fun i think) and finished it with some tinted wax.

First off - Welcome. Great first tiki. You'll find the right balance between cutting and grinding with practice. I have to say that basswood is fantastic stuff to learn on.

S

Great first tiki. Welcome

B

A First tiki that comes out looking this great is an Excellent first tiki. It looks like it won't take you long to get the hang of it. Just browse around and look at all the other tikis posted here and you'll get an idea of how many different variations of tiki there are. Get Sven's "The Book of Tiki" to start with and from that you will see the traditional tikis that are so much in demand.
Welcome to TC, come on it and stay awhile.
HERE is a link to a thread all about tools. You will find many pictures of dremel bits and burs. Have FUN.

J

thanks for the complements guys. I've been pouring over everything on here the past few weeks but of course didn't see the tools thread... thanks for the link. I've acquired the book of tiki, as well as the oceanic art double set so I've got some homework to do. I've also been looking through the numerous posts on here and the work everybody's doing on this forum is amazing. It's not often you find a collection of people that put so much into their craft. I've got a lot to learn but this forum is a huge step in the right direction.

T

Yep, very nice tiki. Has lots of character and luv the color. Also, like the designs you put on the top. :)

That's Great! Awesome for your first. Mine was horrible, so your flying already.
Good work with stain too. Great to have another New Englander carvin!

J

When the snow comes, its hard to keep your mind in a tropical state but I guess thats what the rum is for :) If you're ever in CT let me know. I was suprised to find out that the ukelele i bought was actually made here in CT too! Flea Market Music... I know 2 chords so far. Hopefully I can keep all my fingers with this new hobby.

J

Here's a new tiki I made. Getting the hang of this a little better now I think.
It's more basswood. I dabbled with some acrylic washes and then briwax over the top.
I actually made this as a christening present for my Godson. We'll see how that goes over. :)

S

welcome back I see you are still carving. I like those guys, keep them comming.

J

Thanks seeksurf. Just took a look at your piece with the surfboard... it looks great. I'm interested to incorporate the two tone staining like that. That look really works. I haven't done any large pieces yet but the gift went over well.

B

Cool Stuff Jim and I'm Really liking the subtle color-washes you are doing. Nice effect.

J

Thanks Benzart, I'm thinking I might try and use a slightly lighter shade of wax next time. The color actually shows up better in these photos than it does in person. I did some reading in a magazine that really helped me understand how to get more depth by doing guide cuts and then carving up to them, and thinking more in layers. You can tell that I read the article in between doing the front side and the back side of this piece.

C

Very nice jim3da!I like specially the first one, but the second one is nice too, keep going!!

Pages: 1 13 replies