Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the theft at minnies! modesto hooptiness strikes again!

Pages: 1 16 replies

if it wasnt bad enough that the individuals of hooptylau '05 had to experience the theft of their gas out of their hoopty van while parked in the minnie's parking lot, i am sad to report that the theives have struck again! anyone who has been to minnie's is familar with their time-honored tradition of pinning a buck to the wall along with their business card or drunkened scribbles strewn across it. apparently this was too much eye candy for certain unscrupulous individuals who broke into minnie's and stole ALL the dollar bills off the walls/ceilings/fixtures. (martin, are you listening? then again, alameda isnt exactly modesto...)

the good news is that it seems nothing else was taken or vandalized. however, it does seem pretty ridiculous to steal mounds of dollar bills that have to be pretty damn identifiable (and possibly no longer legal tender since drawn on), yet modesto isnt too picky in that regard.

minnie's is now trying to figure out how to "redecorate" its bar. they have decided that the money tradition is kaput, and will no longer grace it's surfaces. any suggestions out there creative minds of tc?

edited cuz i are not good wit grammar.

got tiki?

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2007-10-22 19:47 ]

Pheew...and I thought they had raped the velvets! Now THOSE are the real treasures of Minnies! Somebody should record them before they all fade away.
I suggest polaroids. People LOVE recognizing themselves, and it gives them a sense of belonging, like being regulars, which might actually make them frequent the place more...a commercially/psychologically smart move.

What is happening with the "TIKI" bar at the Tropics Motel, by the way?

What is happening with the "TIKI" bar at the Tropics Motel, by the way?

Far as I know, it's still there and it's still gay.

Well, at least THEY won't be stealing the black velvet nudes!

M

those rat bastards!

Our dollars are all rigged to exploding paint charges, so don't fuck with 'em.

Hey cleen, maybe I could use a scaffold to paint a nude tiki on the ceiling or the Hand of Tiki reaching down thru the heavens to touch man's hand. eh?

Start the wall of bucks again. Don't accept defeat.

Any bucks pinned to the wall should be glued in place by management after closing. That way, only new bucks are ever pinned and essentially all become part of the wall. It's not defacing money, unless you try to peel one off the wall, which is such an obvious losing battle, no one would do it.

If the bar ever sees hard times, it can go to the bank and deposit its wall.

@#$(&@#^ spelling!

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-10-23 09:27 ]

On 2007-10-22 21:00, Jungle Trader wrote:
Far as I know, it's still there and it's still gay.

Ya? How do you know?

uhhhhhh, ididarealquickdriveby. I think you want to meet me there sweetmint.

S

How utterly lame to beak in and steal a bunch of dollar bills like that. Vexing!

Unga and Jungle Trader.... you boys are starting to frighten me.

Suzanne

Ummm, now I know NOT what to do with my "ultra white" ceiling.

Anyhoo, I think Minnie's should continue to carry on the tradition of the dollar bills and perhaps get a better security system. Whomever it was is sure stupid, there other things way more valuable in Minnies than some scribbled on dollar bills and they are lucky that was all that was stolen.

I would even be willing to send the first "replacement" dollar, if they decide to continue. :)

Hey cleen, drunken hat and jungle trader!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and damn the idiot dollar thieves)!

The thief has been caught. Guy on a bicycle. He was in the bar the night of the theft. He was caught with a big stack of Minnies dollars in his backpack. At least that's what I heard.

Actually not ALL the dollars are missing. Some areas are untouched. Some are cleaned off. Above the bar and high areas to the left and right are clean. The sad part is most of the oldest dollars are gone. This isn't the first this has happened. I really doubt that the tradition will die. It won't be long before dollars start going back up.

AHH, "Lead us not into temptation".
I think it looks tacky, but if somebody wants to give away their money.....on the other hand why tempt a dishonest man? Not my call. But hey if it keeps them away from the real valuables..............that's a good thing. Stuart gave me a tour by flashlight of some very historical pieces.

and BigBro, I heard Otto is doing a book on Tyree's works.

I will have you know that the bills work fine and dandy at the local "SEA HAG" strip club! If anybody asks I'm a navy jet pilot. ok?

Crooks are stupid just taking the money and not even going after the prized and most beloved stuffed pig head. Whatta dummy.

I copied this form the Tiki Finds thread. I missed all this about the changes at Minnies;

On 2008-08-30 11:25, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-08-29 16:16, Jungle Trader wrote:
Cleen, okay I'll stop. They broke my piggybank anyway. Besides you could always go for the new brightly colored Jimmy Buffet style paintings, ahem, (since most of the velvets are gone).....or the tikis I carved or the expertly mixed fresh fruity concoctions.

WHAT in heaven happened to the velvet nudes? They had a singular collection, it made the place! Is it really becoming devoid of authentic Polynesian pop like that? Someone here just lauded it as an "untouched, old style" Tiki bar...

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-30 11:42 am

BigBro, there was a break-in last year. It took the cops 30 minutes to respond. Fear won. Meaning, sell some stuff just in case. There are still some Tyree velvets remaining. If you didn't know, I'll announce it, Minnie's has been for sale for quite some time. No takers. It's old, old, old. Upgrading is expensive. But oh what a dream it could be.

..okay- this has happened to them before??? and they didn't learn their lesson the first time around??? yeesh........

why not hand out monopoly money or some other type of board game money for folks to write on and hang on the wall???......this way you get all the fun of the minnies tradition, with absolutely none of the theft.......problem solved.

Pages: 1 16 replies