Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Can the BH Trader Vic's Tiki be Relocated?

Pages: 1 12 replies

It seems a shame for it to be ripped down from where it has stood so proudly for so long.
I wonder if it is possible to contact ownership for such arrangements during demolition?

Maybe the new ownership would pay for the costs for good preservationist PR.

K

[ Edited by: kenike 2008-09-10 14:16 ]

On 2007-10-24 07:28, Kenike wrote:
My understanding is that whenever a TV closes, all of the contents owned by Trader Vic's is put into storage for possible use at other locations. As far as the exterior of the building, no idea.

While that is better than nothing, I would like it actually being used.
Chances are where ever TV signs a lease, the property owner will probably not pay for the tiki being re-erected, assuming TV actually signs a new lease somewhere.

I note they did not move it poolside.

Alas, she's GONE, CT.

Oh, the decor can be resituated elsewhere (and the last word I got from TV Corporate was that, yes, their stuff goes "into storage" -- one guesses unless a few "souvenirs" disappear along the way), and may be resurrected elsewhere.

But TV's BH, as the grand place that she was, the locus of LA Tiki legend, and haunt of the Luminaries, is no more, nor ever will be.

When the call goes out to fight to save a cherished Tiki place, fight for it while you can.

Cheers to the fighters who V-Voted, and tried to save TV's BH 90210. Our efforts were outgunned, but I'll still ever wonder if those who looked in and did not lend their voice could have made a difference.

In the end, all the Tiki/Island/Adventure/Exotica decor is just that -- decor. Props. It's the Spirit the place attracts, cultivates, and shares that lives. Or dies.

SOK

Good Words, SOK,

However, the tiki is quite large to store - it seems to be at least 10 feet tall.
BTW, after peering inside, there is nothing left. Whatever happened has already occurred.
Which makes the outside tiki all the more important.

FYI: It appears to be secured both by the cement base as well as to the structure on top (so one a very tall ladder).

I would hate for it to fall into the wrong hands. I have paid my respects. Whereever it goes,I would like a photo now and then.

O

Here is Benny's chance to make a small gesture, maybe donating it to LACMA perhaps?

On 2007-10-26 06:59, Ojaitimo wrote:
Here is Benny's chance to make a small gesture, maybe donating it to LACMA perhaps?

LACMA does have a sculpture garden.
However, the museum of natural history already has a moai.
Maybe the tiki should go there?
Or, maybe at UCLA outside the Fowler Museum?

VEGAS!!!

O

Good idea Ben, there is a good spot in front of the Miracle Mile that badly needs remodeling IMHO.
Where is the other Aku Aku Tiki now? It would be cool to see it displayed in a tiki museum with other historical pieces like the outside art work and the tiki from Beverly Hill's Trader Vic's and others.
Maybe setting it up next to the Aku Aku in Sunset park or downtown if not at Planet Hollywood or the new Donn's.

I hear that Bruce Willis likes tiki, maybe he would support the idea. (I wonder what he thinks of the new LVTV ultra lounge?)

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-28 08:23 ]

For starters, it would be nice if they moved it poolside at Trader Vic's Lounge.

Yes, poolside would be the best place for the tiki. But if not there I would rather see it in a museum or in Vegas instead of sitting in some warehouse like the interior there seems to already be.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-30 11:45 ]

O

Bump

John Valencia is putting in the new LA Trader Vic's. This is where I would like to see the A frame and large Tiki. Some of the original interior to preserve some of the history would be nice to see reinstalled at the new Trader Vic's instead of torn out if it hasn't been already. How about giving up some of the interior Benny?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-09-10 14:24 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies