Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Jetsetter Lounge is CLOSED

Pages: 1 20 replies

Just recieved official email announcement (mailing list) from Mike Jones that the Jetsetter Lounge in Lake Worth has closed its doors... gone out of business!

The last line is interesting though - "The future looks Oh so Bright!" Maybe a new more viable location?

Damn, Im really bummed, and wish Mike Jones the best!

Online at
http://www.jonmooers.com
Myspace at
http://www.myspace.com/jpmartdog

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-10-23 08:52 ]

"Damn, Im really bummed, and wish Mike Jones the best!"

DITTO

Mike hosted 2 great Hukilau finalies, big up's for that!

I always felt the Jetsetter was an amazing oasis of hipness in a very strange location. Mike has impeccable taste for everything: decor, food, drinks, vibe, entertainment, design. His establishment purveyed a total experience, and the staff was fantastic as well. I'm sure getting staff in Lakeland that could not only provide great service, but become part of that vibe was not easy.

I saw the writing on the wall when I saw that he was liquidating some of his decor. I just can't imagine that Lakeland could provide him with the kind of clientele that would support an estalishment of that kind.

Having stuck it out as long as he did was not just commendable, it was nearly miraculous. And I have no doubts he has his sights set on a much more favorable location, and that the quality will be just as awesome in every way. Can't wait to see what he'll do next!

GO FOR IT MIKE!!!!

thanks for posting, JP - I have not received any emails in a little while from the Jetsetter.

It really was a fun place to visit during the past two hukilaus. Definitely would have been there more if I lived anywhere close.

Best of luck Mike on whatever is next for you.

P

I'm bummed that it closed but really happy I got to see it at least once while it was swinging.

No one that hip can stay down though.
Mike will re-emerge as a new epicenter of cool somewhere.

Pssst.... Lake Worth.

Lakeland is another 200+ miles NW. (nothing to see here.. Move along.)

Yes, Mike. Please continue on at another location. We need a to keep Jimmy Cavallo playing frequently.

T

Hey he might open in 'Lakeland'

K

I shed a tear or three when I opened my email today...I was blown away with my first visit there... such a cool place! My money is on the possibility of seeing Mike emerge anew elsewhere!(probably not Lakeland, though!)...

here's to JSL!
:drink:
K.

Best of luck Mike with your future ventures!

Thanks for opening your arms at the end of the Hukilau weekend... rather than an end it was another event in itself to look forward to.

After the wonderful job you did with The Jetsetter Lounge... yes, the future does look oh so bright!

T

BUMMER ! I really wanted to see that place.

If he opened in Hollywood, he would be packed every night.

He ought to consider such a venture.

P

The evil Hollywood or the humid Hollywood?

T

'Bollywood'

T

On 2007-10-24 06:30, pablus wrote:

The evil Hollywood or the humid Hollywood?

The Evil one, of course.

This type of place doesn't seem like a place that would really work in Florida, except for maybe Miami. Here is SoCal, where things Retro are celebrated, it would most definitely be a hit.

once again, the same sad tale...not enough cool folk to keep a cool place running, yet there are any number of vanilla clubs and bars that never seem to run out of business..the lamer it looks the more people flock to it. ....you should have opened a sports bar instead!!

...."it's hard to be cool, in an uncool world" -

best of luck to you if you decide to open in a new location....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-10-24 08:06 ]

...just don't move to the west coast!! i think the conservative right wingers are trying to burn the liberal left wingers out of california right now by setting fires there...could be dangerous!!

"You may think it's boogers...but it's snot !!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-10-24 08:09 ]

G

I heard about the closing last week whilst at the great Mai-Kai. Definitely sad news. So glad I got to pay a couple of visits while it was around. Mike, Orlando loves themeing. Come on up! But you might have to let costumed characters walk around your dining room from time to time.

K

Unfortunately, it's the location that was too high a hurdle to overcome. I've talked to too many people who've told me "LOVE the decor, the staff, the food..., but just don't feel comfortable walking to my car." I think if it had been downtown, it would have had a LOT of walk-in foot traffic. I'm sure the rent down there is stupid high though, and it would be pretty hard to find as cool a building, not to mention that BACK YARD!

Very sad. We'll miss playing there, as well as the staff. Best of luck to Mike, Natalie and everyone there in finding a new location, and reopening in the not-too-distant future.

Kanekila

Wow! I didn't realize that this thread was going - thanks Jon and all my other friends adding their kudos and well-wishes.

I suppose I should chime in and explain the situation and clarify some things.

We opened the Jetsetter back in 2005 with no business partners. In essence, it was a 'do it yourself' project, from design, construction oversight, decor & furnishing selections, menu creations, etc. Most important of all (in the long run), it was 'self-financed', utilizing whatever limited resources we had available. Unfortunately, small business development is much like the TV commercial currently airing where the corporate execs flick the mini small business owner seeking financing for his concept through the goal posts! Having an 'eclectic' business plan probably doesn't help either ;) In any event, we continued to fund the Jetsetter on our dime (costly given the operating expense required with staffing, utilities, etc.), which continued to be a challenge, as the economy soured, and 'season' didn't materialize as expected (seemingly for most everyone). We sought, unsuccessfully, additional financing to help us survive and grow the business, but were unsuccessful. Finally we decided to 'stop the bleeding' and cease operating. That brings us to the present. My landlord (I didn't own the building) has put the property up for sale. He is showing it as outfitted & furnished by me (everything save for the perishables is still in place). He is looking to sell the property alone, or completely outfitted and furnished, perhaps including an operating partner in the equation. If this does not materialize in the short-run, most likely I will sell off the assets we have in there and move on. So that's the story... so far! Perhaps another case of 'under-capitalization' causing a business casualty!

I really would like to thank everyone that supported us along the way. It's rewarding - and frustrating - to read the many accolades given to the Jetsetter during our semi-brief existence. That's the frustrating part - having a place 'that oozes cool', yet NOT making it. I kind of feel that closing shop let our supporters and fans down, to which I apologize profusely.

Now on to the comments in the thread...

The 'liquidation' reference was not the case. We were (& are) looking to sell some extra furniture pieces, furnishings and art that we were not displaying or using on site, which was ALWAYS the case in the concept. The fact is, the place is still very much furnished as it was.

As for the location suggestions, we will not be opening up shop in Lakeland, Land Of Lakes, or anywhere else referencing 'Lakes' LOL The two Hollywoods probably won't happen, although the idea of 'BaliWood' might work with the whole 'Jetsetter' thing ;) If the Cali fires are indeed a right-wing conspiracy to thin the ranks of liberals (do REAL liberals live in those big mountainside mansions?), that would probably prohibit this self-described 'property-owning communist' (I remain exempt from 'capitalist' status since I didn't make any money ;) from considering that! As for having 'costumed characters' running through the place? Hell, we welcome that - seems like our most ardent supporters are an eclectic lot of 'costumed characters' to which - on more than one occasion - I've been justly accused!

As for the future? The answer at this point is unknown. I will more than likely put together some events in the 'Jetsetter' vein, collaberating with artists, entertainers, educators, other fledgling entrepeneurs, etc. Another big venture will require capital, so partners (hint hint, nudge nudge, know what I mean?) will have to be involved in bringing additonal drug & rum-induced visions to fruition! Perhaps - egad - I could return to the workforce and get a - forbid - real job (resume available upon request) LOL

Hope this helps move the discussion along, and again, genuine thanks to all!

So sorry to hear about the Jetsetter closing Mike. Glad I got a chance to visit at the last Hukilau, frigg'n amazing place and Mike was an amazing host. Nothing better than the alien autopsy.

Good luck with your future endeavors Mike, cheers.

J

Thanks Doug -

Rest assured you'll be forever enshrined in our 'Hipster's Hall Of Fame'!

The pleasure was all mine!

B

Bummer! Feel free to re-open over here near "Sorrysota", Fla.

Pages: 1 20 replies