Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Not sure if any TC Folks are affected, but...Temporary Housing Options for So Cal Fire Victims

Pages: 1 2 replies

Aloha y'all,

In watching the coverage of the fires, evacuations and devastation as well as the efforts of our Tiki Central Ohana WooHoo Wahine and Soccer Tiki(way to go guys!!) to collect items for those ravaged by the fires, I was wondering if it would be a good idea for us to compile a list of spare rooms, guesthouses, 2nd homes, RV's etc NOT AFFECTED by the fire that we might be able to share with those who may have lost their homes altogether or may be evacuated for an extended period of time.

Since we live in Arizona, it might not be practical for folks to stay with us due to their jobs, meting with FEMA or Insurance Adjusters, commitments etc, however, if we were in Southern California and had the space, we wouldn't think twice about sharing it with those affected by the fire.

So, if you are in So. Cal and have some space you would like to share, please let me know if you think that this might be a good idea and we can go from there. Perhaps we could compile a list of those who need shelter and those who have it to share with a note as to how many they can accommodate. Happy to spearhead this effort or pass it along to another member of the Ohana who may be able to direct it...I am open to your thoughts and suggestions.

Like I said, this was just a thought that crossed my mind, so I thought I'd reach out to all of you to see if you thought it might be a good idea too. Together, we can do amazing things, and although I am not sure if any of our ohana have been directly affected by this fire, I know that staying with family or friends might be much more comforting than staying in a shelter.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all our So Cal Ohana affected by the fire to stay safe and well!! Remember, we can always help you rebuild, but there is no way to replace YOU!!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2007-10-26 11:38 ]

This just in from Brad Wilson and the Santa Catalina Island Company!

A special offer just for Southern Californians that have been evacuated!

The Santa Catalina Island Company is offering a special discount to any Southern Californian that has been evacuated from their home due to the fires. Receive 25% off the normal rack rate for any room at the Hotel Atwater. Rooms starting at $31 per room (plus tax). Proof of Southern California ID will be required to receive discount. Please call our direct line at 1-800-322-3434 to make your reservation and mention "fire discount".

Having lost my home in the Island Fire this past May, my heart goes out to those that have been evacuated. Please pass this discount on to any family members or friends that need a place to stay or are wanting to get away from the smoke and fires. The island is experiencing clear skies and clear water.

Respectfully,
Brad Wilson
Santa Catalina Island Company

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2007-10-23 17:28 ]

Well, the winds have subsided and most folks (from what I understand) have been allowed to return to their homes (or what's left of them).

The good news is that it sounds like no one in our immediate Ohana was affected (THANK GOODNESS!), however we may hear more as folks make their way back to their neighborhoods and the shelters begin to close.

Although I'm sure there will not be as great a need for housing in So Cal as there was after the Katrina disaster, we may learn of ohana (or ohana's ohana) who need accommodations while they are rebuilding, so if you have space to share or rent, please consider helping a victim of the fire.

Much mahalo to y'all and have a beautiful day!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2007-10-27 09:33 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies