Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Pool?LA

Pages: 1 17 replies

CA

""I'm in, pool first, then the purple orchid?""

is this thing on or what???????

Yeah, what time are we meeting there? Sabu or Pop?

I have to go to an early evening birthday dinner, but...what time are you all planning on gathering? I will be less than a mile from the Purple Orchid. Hey Bax, Pup, Bong...mebee you could put in a special guest appearance?

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-02-08 07:37 ]

T

What the heck is a TIKI pool?
Where is a TIKI pool?
Do you get wet in this TIKI pool?
What time do you get in the TIKI pool?
Is there enough water in the TIKI pool for ME?

On 2003-02-07 22:35, thechikitiki wrote:
Yeah, what time are we meeting there? Sabu or Pop?

You guys call it - I'm just going with the flow. I wanna at least make sure we hit up the Purple Orchid since I've never been there before.

Between 7:30 and 8:30? at the Purple O, and pool before, for those who whant to shoot.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-02-08 12:00 ]

CA

How About balls at 8:00 to 9:30? and the orchid after...
that way there are more of us to through Bax in the pool

i say hit the orchid at 10-10:30

if folks want to play more pool they can show up earlier for that.

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2003-02-08 12:32 ]

That seems pretty good, Al. That way I may have a chance to make it to the Hurricane as well as the Orchid.

Pool at 8:00 sounds good. See y'all there...

CA

where the hell is this place? i'll have to hit the back-logs......

CA

14620 Hawthorn Blv...North of 405...Rt side...

Anyone have a cross Street on this place, or do i have to go to MapQuest???

T

Hawthorne Blvd really close to Rosecrans
in Lawndale 310-973-4360 Can't get the number to work right now
We are going a little early with our kids then we will bomb back home when you guys hit the Orchid
See Ya

Have no brakes
Cannot stop
Mahalo to you
Baxdog

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2003-02-08 18:09 ]

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2003-02-08 18:19 ]

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2003-02-08 18:20 ]

T

YA man, feelin Ire
Me and me Jaw-make-kin brathas goin round and round in da 8 ball games.
I guess we left just before C'Al got there.
It was fun teachin the young one's to roll the spliff.
Ended up having dinner at Beaches in Manhatten then we jambed home.
Sorry we did not see any of our TIKI family.
We needed a fix, well maybe next time.

Sorry it's taken me so long to post pictures of the interior of the pool hall and the Purple Orchid party - but here they finally are:

Before the evening started, Chikitiki came over to my house to give me, Polynesian Pop, and Doctor Z a lesson in carving.

Here Polynesian Pop gets some lessons from the master.

Me and Pop taking a break to enjoy an authentic Trader Vic's Mai-Tai mixed by Doctor Z.

After a few more minutes of work - the finished product. Not bad for our first time, eh?

After carving, Z-girl helped me with dinner and Doctor-Z made some more mai-tais. That put us all in the right frame of mind to enjoy The Hurricane bar/pool-hall in Lawndale.

Unfortunately, the place was really empty. Only one pool table and only one other patron. Crazy Al met us there and we all had a beer while I snapped some pictures of the glorious interior:

Some nice Bosko carvings behind the bar.

We decided not to play pool and headed right on over to the Purple Orchid in El Segundo, where we met the rest of the gang - Floratina, Weird-Uncle-Tiki, and The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa. The Purple Orchid turns out to be a better pool hall anyway, having two pool tables as opposed to the Hurricane's one. It was also packed. Here are some pictures:

Crazy Al and a volcano-bowl

Polynesian Pop & Floratina

The owner of the Purple Orchid kept giving us free volcano-bowl samples of all the drinks on the menu. Things got insane! From the top of the picture going clockwise, we've got Weirduncletiki, Miss Mauna Loa, Crazy Al, Chikitiki, Polynesian Pop, Floratina, Sabu The Coconut Boy, Doctor Z and Z-Girl.

Here Crazy Al gets blind on his fourth Volcano Bowl while Weird Uncle Tiki looks on. Note the plastic cocktail-monkeys hanging from Crazy Al's necklace.

Doctor-Z prefers to hang them from his earrings.

Overall another incredible afternoon and evening. Thanks to everyone who showed up and made this so much fun. Thanks, Chiki, for taking time to give a few novices some tips on carving tikis too.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-02-20 12:35 ]

Sabu,
Thanks for the great pics! It was a great time. We definitely have to get a carving session going again sometime. That was a lot of fun! :)

BTW - The humble Sabu forgot the mention the incredible grilled chicken & shrimp he barbequed for us. Oh did I mention the chicken was coated in toasted sweet coconut? The delicious and potent mai tais were mixed by Doc Z - and yes, we're drinking them out of Trader Vic's Voodoo glasses!

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-02-20 13:12 ]

Al had his goatee braided and beaded. That's what the monkeys were hangin on...

That's right, Tina!

How quickly I forget. I knew it was funnier, somehow, but that devil-likker rum had erased all the details from my memory. I look at the pictures of these events afterwards and sometimes they're the only memories I have left. "I did that?" I often say.

Sabu

Will this small gathering be happening again? I'm surprised Chiki didn't arrive with a custom-carved pool cue! Hmmm...that's an idea!...

PoolCueCaddyDaddy

Pages: 1 17 replies