Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

I found it!!!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Found what you ask? Why that's Orgeat syrup ( Fee Bros.). I went to 8 different liquor stores, I finally had to go 25 miles away from home to one of Mass's biggest chain stores. Scored well too from what I can see, they had 32oz bottles for $5.00. I've seen them on-line for $10, plus I'd have to pay shipping. So, I bought two bottles, and at least I know where to get it.

Now I just have to score some of the Stirrings grenadine, and simple syrup. That's an easy one, the distribution center is in my town, and a friend's daughter works for the company.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers!

Rick

Make your own Orgeat. Even your worst batches should be better than Fee Bros. Make your own Rock Candy Syrup. Once again it's better when you control the kind, quality, and quantity of sugar. RCS is better than simple syrup IMO. Grenadine...dare I say, make your own? Stirrings is OK because it actually has a pomegranate flavor vs. cherry. You can find stirrings at Food Wholes that're big enough to stock it. The WFM near my office is too small for that, but I can find it at the WFM near my house.

I agree with the Gnomon on this. Personally I found the Fee Brothers Orgeat to be third rate. For me, the Trader Vics Orgeat is superior to the Fee Brothers while the home brew orgeat is going to take top honors.

S

The very first time I made my own orgeat it was certainly not perfect. I compared it to the Fee Brothers stuff and proceeded to dump the entire bottle of Fee's down the drain. Rotten stuff. It made my throat burn.

K

Congratulations Rick - that is a good price for orgeat. Part of the fun of cocktails is tracking down the unusual ingredients, and once finding them, finally being able to make that drink recipe that you've had for ever. There's nothing wrong with quality commercial syrups - enjoy that first homemade Mai Tai.

Pages: 1 4 replies