Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki: Native Drums in the Orange Grove - 1996 Anaheim Museum Exhibition online

Pages: 1 16 replies

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 28, 2007 4:05 AM

I just discovered flickr for the first time tonight, and after digging around for tiki stuff found that Kevin Kidney has recently uploaded an amazing gallery of shots (with detailed captions) from the 1996 exhibition "Tiki: Native Drums in the Orange Grove".

Here's a virtual tour of the 1996 Anaheim Museum exhibit, a survey of Polynesian Pop-style in Orange County California....and you'll discover the origins of Miehana, God of the Orange Grove!

Curators for this show were former-Disney artists Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily.

Enjoy!

Aaah yah, those were the early days of the Tiki revival.....Kevin and Jody did such a great job with that exhibit, with hardly any money.
Here's a flier from years before that marks the event after which I decided that I was the one to write the book on Tiki:

Great link Paipo!

Bigbro - who's dr. bruce elliot?

Neato! thanks for doing the digging. I had forgotten all about this exhibit. Ive added the link to my file on museum exhibits relating to tiki. every bit will help me with my own exhibit.! Dawn

Thanks for posting Paipo.
Does anyone have a copy or a link to the video, " Air Conditioned Eden"? Sven?

This was a very important exhibit - and my first inkling of an interest in Tiki! First time I heard Sven speak too, thanks to Dug Miller telling me about him. Thanks Kevin & Jodi - the Gods smiled upon you for that one....

Damn, that is so close to me, I wish I had known about it at the time.
I would have gone.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-10-29 09:51, Polynesiac wrote:
Bigbro - who's dr. bruce elliot?

An early Tiki archeologist, a very funny, smart fellow, ...unfortunately now dead.

Wow...there's a name I never thought I'd see on these boards. Bruce Elliot. I remember when Wrongdimensionboy introduced me to him at burning man 1999. I can't say I really knew him, but I've enjoyed his sense of humour through 'zines like "Ben is Dead". It's so sad that he made such a drastic decision.

Is the Meihana mug still available anywhere?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 31, 2007 1:35 PM

I guess that the flyers from shows like this are in themselves now artifacts and part of a bygone tiki era. It was cool reading about the "Boutiki" at the exhibition, which Kevin and Jody would stock with thrift store mugs purchased for cents or a dollar each, and resold for few bucks. It sounds like they could just go out and buy more nearby whenever they needed them.
BTD, the miehana is still on Tiki Farm's site - page 6.

thank you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

N

Good post.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2016 10:47 AM

original 1996 postcard designed by Sven Kirsten

On 2016-09-23 10:47, Otto wrote:
original 1996 postcard designed by Sven Kirsten

That is awesome!

O
Otto posted on Wed, Sep 28, 2016 9:26 AM