Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Drinking Mugs

Pages: 1 19 replies

Howdy all,

Quick survey.. Are there certain drinking mugs you use for you everyday drinking choices, or does anything go when you're mixing a drink.

The reason I ask, there's so many mugs I have that I'd love a drink in, but what happens if I drop it, etc. I mean would you have a drink from a Frankoma War God , or would you rather have that sit on your display..

Just curious, I have a set of everyday mugs for drinking (Chipped mugs, Dynasty, etc)

Cheers!

Rick

T

I drink out of Tiki Farm and mugs I make

Others are display only

I drink out of the toilet.

I let my friends use any of the mugs I have to drink out of.

Of course, they must dust them off first.

Seriously, I have purchased so many duplicates, that although it may be painful to see one broken, it would not end my world. They were meant to drink out of!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and and what is a good mixer for toilet water)?

Most of my mugs I keep at my office. (The office is becoming very tiki.) Each day I choose one for my coffee, dependent on my mood, but mostly i rotate through them. I don't care how old or valuable or crazy looking. At home I have a few on display in one of the bathrooms, actually. (TikiPee?)
And then, I have a few for cocktails.

K

I mostly use new mugs for drinking, but it is fun to use the old mugs. I won't use crazed mugs, as I don't want the booze seeping into the mug and visa versa, and (keeping with the craze theme) won't use mugs I paid crazy money for - they are retired to a life of shelfy leisure.

Psycho TikiD - I hope this is the toilet you've been drinking out of:

I don't use any original-vintage mugs (such as a Frankoma God of War, Mr. Bali Hai, or even an OH R-5), that is unless they are a newer knock off I picked up along the way. I do that b/c of crazing, cracks, lead paint, or rarity. One of the biggest factors I have found is the condition inside the mug. I've picked up a few that still had what ever it used to serve crusted or gelled on the bottom. After a good washing, I still don't want to drink out of it.

There are great places to pick up everyday mugs (if you are like me), Oriental Trading Company has/had some, Dynasty Whole sale, Tiki Farm, etc. I don't mind a plastic tiki/pineapple/coconut in my everyday drinking collection. Like I always said, give those to the kids and butterfingers to drink out of. If they drop them, they will more likely bounce than break. Just somethign to think about.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-10-29 07:49 ]

i only drink out of doubles. because i have arthritis in my hands, i like a skinny mug. my favorites to use are munktiki's tall moai and gecko's double marquesan. another good one is jungle trader's minnie's mug when you're really thirsty.

As a potential example of the risks of drinking out of vintage ceramics, the old Jackson Ceramics site in Pennsylvania was declared a Superfund site because of excessive lead contaminaton.

I'm not sure if Jackson manufactured any mugs, but they did make plates, creamers, bowls, and other ceramics for Kon Tiki Ports, Ports O' Call, and other restaurants.

If I am drinking out of one, I use one that I have a duplicate of (like a Peanut faced mug, got tons of those). My friends wanted to dress up as Hawaiian tourist over the weekend for Halloween. So I let them borrow a vintage matching shirt & dress that I found a few weeks ago as long as they promised not to spill or puke on them. They also asked to borrow some mugs to drink out of. I have a few Dynasty mugs I picked up a few years back for $1. I told them I didn't care if they broke cuz they aren't vintage. They ended up breaking one. No big loss.

All of my friends want me to have a luau one night and serve everyone drinks in mugs. I'm still in the air about that. I'll have to pull out all of my duplicate for that. I did have a few friends over one time and I busted out a few of my Spanish Bowls (Lamour, Ku Reef, & Volcano). I made a rule that only I would move the bowls. I placed them in the middle of a big table and then bought really long straws (like at Bahooka). No damage was done!

On 2007-10-29 00:57, Koolau wrote:
I mostly use new mugs for drinking, but it is fun to use the old mugs. I won't use crazed mugs, as I don't want the booze seeping into the mug and visa versa, and (keeping with the craze theme) won't use mugs I paid crazy money for - they are retired to a life of shelfy leisure.

Psycho TikiD - I hope this is the toilet you've been drinking out of:

You would think that would suffice, however, mine is a little bigger than that! :)
Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and SIZE IS EVERYTHING)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-10-29 18:23 ]

And again, another reason to have multiples:

This helps alleviate the pain of an inebriated guest "accidentally" dropping one! Though, luckily, this has not happened yet!

Hey Brad, did you even notice the "ultra white" ceilings when you came over?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and nothing says excess like excess)!

On 2007-10-29 18:38, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

There's multiples, and then there's armies!

On 2007-10-29 19:02, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

On 2007-10-29 18:38, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

There's multiples, and then there's armies!

You know, that is funny, because I was really thinking about how to make a chess set out of my mugs!

Anyone have any suggestions for the playing pieces? Of course, if someone takes your piece, you have to drink!

PTD

T

When I break out the 'mugs' for a party. I have all my guests wash there hands then put on Microfiber Gloves, then i hand them a mug and a straw, there lips should never touch the mug...

Gee. I always used those $1 flea market finds as daily drinkers. Now I have to worry about lead? The Tiki Farm mugs come from China. I know those must be lead-free, right? Doesn't Munktiki make his own mugs? Maybe I'll have to switch to those.

ST

I talked with Holden about this, he says he is monitered very thouroghly for lead, even more than toy companies, I have no fear of Tiki Farm mugs.

K
Koolau posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2007 4:47 PM

Are you sure Tiki Farm mugs are made in China? I don't ever recall seeing a "Made in China" sticker on them. Some of the old simple mugs that came in a four pack were marked "Hecho en Mexico", but that's it.

On 2007-11-03 16:47, Koolau wrote:
Are you sure Tiki Farm mugs are made in China? I don't ever recall seeing a "Made in China" sticker on them. Some of the old simple mugs that came in a four pack were marked "Hecho en Mexico", but that's it.

Nope, Benzarts Special "limited edition" was made in China and I wouldn't doubt that the majority of the farms mugs are grown in china. It's much cheaper than the cost of American labor.

On 2006-12-28 10:28, Benzart wrote:
Hiphi, The Mugs will be at the TikiFarm door soon as they are enroute from China.

Maybe the "Made in China" stickers just fell off during shipping.

MN

This is the glass most used at my bar.

Or when guests are over I usually use the dynasty stuff. I do not have enough duplicates yet. More importantly an appropriate glass set up at the bar. It is only a two seater.:(

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2007 5:54 PM

It was Mexico and now its China

Pages: 1 19 replies