Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My own (limited) collection...

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hi, I'm a new member here, but like i said in the "Introduce yourself,' thread, I've seen what a nice bunch of folks most of you all are, so I hope you'll enjoy my admittedly meager (but growing) collection.

The wall art (pardon the reflection, the only choice was that gloss acrylic):

The right side (the mug is not a Buffet restaurant mug, though the style is the same apparently):

The middle:

The left side:

Detail #1:

Detail #2 (my necklace is in this one):

A tribute to my grandfather (God rest him) who served in the Pacific theatre during WWII. Not tiki, but in keeping with the theme of the front he fought on and the overall mug/umbrella theme of the rest of the collection:

Overall, aside from the Tikifarm with the blue/orange umbrellas, all the mugs (including the peanut shots) are from places I've visited which is a theme I'd like to stick to if I can because it's what people did in the Tiki/lounge apex. The Tikifarm/Cheeseburger is from a tiki-themed burger place at The Aladdin in Vegas, the Trader Vic's is from the TV out in Beverly Hills about 2 or 4 days before they shut down its doors to become a (blech) poolside bar, the 2 Munktikis and the Fu Manchu are all from a tiki eatery up in Monterey called Hula's, the peanut shots are from a (Honolulu Harry's?) and the girly tumbler is of course a Tommy Bahama. The photo postcards are all vintage and the Trader Vic's menu is a late '50s from Denver.

Very, very nice McTiki! Noticed the ukulele, looks like a player...

T

On 2007-10-29 12:53, A.R. McTiki wrote:
I've seen what a nice bunch of folks most of you all are,

I'd say that we are all nice, most of the time.

K

Nicely merchandised! I love how you have the Trader Vic's glass on top of a pile of Exotica CD's...I just wish Trader Vic's actually PLAYED that music.

On 2007-10-29 16:02, Kenike wrote:
Nicely merchandised! I love how you have the Trader Vic's glass on top of a pile of Exotica CD's...I just wish Trader Vic's actually PLAYED that music.

Thanks. Yeah, I wish they did too. When I went to the Beverly Hills one, I asked at first if they had any mugs for sale and the manager...geez, you'd a thunk I'd asked to steal his kidney and leave him in a tub of ice.

Also, in one of the pictures you can just see the two Hawaiian Dick comic books poking out. I love them.

Welcome aboard A.R.

When you're ready to go full tilt, look us up!

Nothin' like livin' in a hut in So Cal....

Holy knick-knack but you do good work!

The tribute to your grandfather is entirely appropriate. In some deep-background way, the pop tiki culture boom was fueled by those who served in the Pacific theater in WWII.

Thanks, GP.

Pages: 1 8 replies