Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sculpting tiki mugs??

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hello all...
I am sculpting some tiki mugs and have been using a low fire clay....I find it difficult to work with as it is too soft most the time for fine detail. I can let it dry for a while and put in some finer detail and smooth it out, but my true question is.....
I have noticed a few people using wax to make their sculpt and would like to know what kind of wax this is and where to aquire it. I will be making molds of these for production....Thanks....Wess

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2007 2:01 PM

As far as the wax goes, I think that it is used after a mold in maded with a clay positive. Your project sounds interesting

B

I like Roma Brand oil based clay No.3 the best. Google Roma Clay and you will find many places to purhase. You can also make a plaster mold from your fired clay piece too. You just need to make sure that you coat it a few times real well with mold soap, or even Murphy's Hard wood soap as it also works pretty good, so that the clay work won't stick to the plaster. Good Luck!

K

I have sculpted mugs before. It's fun and the result can be really cool.
This is one of mine.

Anyway, be very careful of undercuts. I had a lot of trouble getting the look i wanted with the proper draft toward the front.

Happy sculpting!!!
Kelly

Babalu...
Thanks for tip on the Roma clay....My only concern is when making a 2 or possibly a 3 piece mold from the Roma clay is he hardness of it while Blocking or making wall sections with clay against the sculpt. Do you use a softer clay for this so as not to lose any detail in the sculpt? Hopefully this makes sense....not sure how else to describe what I'm thinking.
Kewlava...
That mug is awesome...do you have any for sale? I would love to add him to my collection. What did you use to sculpt him?

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2007-11-04 11:40 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies