Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Best Things to Do in Waikiki?

Pages: 1 2 76 replies

I am headed there for a very short time and I need to make the most of it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This is what I was thinking:

1. Polynesian Cultural Center - Hula, Tikis and Moai(s), even if no rum
  2. Tiki's Bar & Grill - Tikis galore and incredible Tiki art, overlooking the Pacific Ocean
  3. La Mariana - Old Style Hawaiian Tiki
  4. Thor Store - love the Lava Rock interior
  5. Duke's - Duke's family doesn't get a dime, but they have the primo location
  6. Hawaiiana Inn - Check-I'll be staying there for a night
  7. Bishop Museum - REAL historic Tikis and a Moai, but time consuming
  8. International Market Place-portal to Hawaiiana of old and a place to buy Tiki
  9. Royal Hawaiian-Pink Lady still reigns regally
    10+ ????

(I known there is the Hawaiian Vacation thread, but I was hoping to me more specific than 8 pages devoted to 6 islands, some of which, like Oahu, have multiple tourist locations)

[ Edited by: christiki295 2007-11-04 17:34 ]

M
Mo-Eye posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2007 5:58 PM

Aloha Christiki!

I'll give you my 2 cents:

1)PCC - all I have to say is "ditto - no rum"
2)Tiki's - its so-so, I always get bad service there.
3)La Mariana - go on one of your first days, so you have enough time to go back again, and again... This one is the most important stop. Best days are Tuesday-Thursday for the better piano players - Lance and Ben.
4)Thor Stor - Keep in mind that the one with the lava rock wall is actually in the NEX in Pearl Harbor, our other Stor is right next to the International Marketplace.
5)Dukes - best bartenders in Waikiki, best time is Sunday afternoon - it will be hoppin!
6)Hawaiiana Hotel - Worth a stay for at least a night.
7)Bishop Museum - Worth it if you can devote the time. There's a lot of stuff in there!
8 )International Market - Worth a walk through to see the few remaining old elements, but nothing that great to buy. Mostly crap from China and the Philippines, and most of the tikis sold look the same.
9)Royal Hawaiian - Still the classic Waikiki hotel, but all you'll hear during the day is construction noise. The hotel itself is closing in a few months for a big renovation.
10)You covered all the important stuff - if you have more time:

• House without a Key, considered to have the best mai tai.
  • Chuck's Steakhouse is great for a steak. Their "cellar" location is better than the one above Dukes.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you would like to get a drink at La Mariana.

http://www.thorstor.com

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2007-11-04 17:58 ]

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2007-11-04 18:00 ]

SS

Aloha!
Mo-eye is correct: Dukes Canoe Club is a "must". This Summer I went on a Sunday afternoon and saw Henry Kopono perform "live" from 4:00 to 6:00pm. Great stuff. The crowd was right out of an old Beach Party movie. The view: fantastic. Diamond Head through the palm trees and across the bay. We reserved a ring-side seat in the restaurant (strangly, they only open the restaurant AFTER he starts singing). None-the-less, we made an evening of it and had a great time. Stick to the beach in Waikiki and it is heaven. International Marketplace is O.K. (The big banyan tree is way cool) but other than that, I agree with Mo-eye's observation that most of the junk on sale was made in China (still, some of it is fun). But I say "don't get sucked into the shopping vortex!" Stay on the beach as much as possible.
One other thing if you time it right (may only be a summertime thing), the Bishop Museum offers "Mele on the lawn" which is performances by da kine Hawaiian music (big names) in a nice outdoor setting. Yes, it is not exactly in Waikiki --a bit of a cab ride, in fact. But I never miss it if its on when I'm in town. Very mellow and enjoyable.
At any rate, you basically can't go wrong! Enjoy & have a nice trip.

T

If you have the time to squeeze in a little tour of the natural beauty of Oahu, here are my top three picks:

1. Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Unbelievable array of sea life. It's nice to do the Waikiki Aquarium first to get an idea of what you'll be seeing before you get there.

2. Hike to Manoa Falls. It's a short, easy hike with a gorgeous payoff at the end.

3. Hike Diamondhead. Beautiful views from the top, and it's always a little surreal to be inside a volcano.

G

Put La Mariana and PCC at the top of your list. And at La Mariana's, ask the piano player and his accompanist to do Quiet Village for you. They do an excellent version, bird calls and all. And if nothing else, you'll appreciate it more than the Billy Joel and Elton John songs they'll be playing.

House Without a Key at the Halekulani at sunset is great. Friday nights are best as that is when the Hiram Olsen Trio plays, for a bit of old school Hapa Haole music and hula. And yes, they have the best Mai-Tai I found on the island.

Oh! Almost forgot. You MUST go to the Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel. One of the last vintage places left and the Polynesian show exceeded our expectations. We were probably the only non-Japanese guests there. They apparently do most of their business with Japanese tour groups. Pass on the drinks though, which were easily the foulest things we've ever tasted.

RB

I know it's "touristy"...but I always love taking a barefoot walk along Waikiki Beach at night, with the hotels casting light onto the beach.

I like the little Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Maybe the best old style Mai Tai in Hawaii

I like the little Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Maybe the best old style Mai Tai in Hawaii

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2007 2:25 PM

Sex-----Sex is the best thing to do anywhere, but especially Waikiki.

On 2007-11-05 07:18, GatorRob wrote:

Oh! Almost forgot. You MUST go to the Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel. One of the last vintage places left and the Polynesian show exceeded our expectations. We were probably the only non-Japanese guests there. They apparently do most of their business with Japanese tour groups. Pass on the drinks though, which were easily the foulest things we've ever tasted.

The Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel is incredible! A very high TIPSY factor.
I advise going to the show, for $35 nightly around 6:30 pm (Buffet prime rib is $65).
However, one can also walk in around 8:30 and snap a few photos of the interior.

T

You need to take a plane tour of the island.
Get the guy who used to do the Fantasy Island
plane intro on the show.
Your hotel will know him.
GREAT trip!!
He flies over the dole pineapple fields.
Are they still there?
He also takes you in the way Japan did when they bombed us.
So you will see Perarl Harbor.
And it's a sea plane.

The Dole Plantation on the North Shore is still there.
It is a fun and informative trip, especially the train ride.
I never new there were red pineapples.

I agree with the majority of your list however, I would put La Mariana #1. Additionally Leonard's Bakery is a must for hot Malasada's, and I highly recommend the haupia filled! (just a few blocks north of Baileys)

I agree with Hinano, ya gotta go to Leonard's. I am more traditional though and prefer the unfilled sugar coated version.
I also recommend the Shorebird. It's an open air restaurant on the beach where you season and grill your own fish, steak, or chicken. A buffet of salads, rice, bread, lomi, and even poi is also included.It's fun and fairly reasonable.
The luau at the Royal Hawaiian is expensive, but completely worth it.
If you eat the raw stuff, consume as much local ahi sashimi as you possibly can!!!

KaiMuki,

I 100% agree with you the originals are the best, I have to cut them with the filled versions (to fill me up) so I dont eat an entire box or two! Those who know, know what I mean! Malasada's are the donuts to my inner Homer! mmmmmm malasada's, Damn you Kaimuki!

V

If you have the time (a half day) and the weather is good (not too windy) I'd recommend renting a kayak or two and paddling out to the Mokuleia islands off of Lanikai beach in Kailua. Fabulous views and plenty of sea turtles! or you could take the much closer (and easier) kayak trip to flat island off of the AMAZING kailua beach. Finish it up with a dinner at Buzz's Steak house at Kailua beach (make reservations, try to get an outside table, and bring a check - they don't take credit cards) and you will be in heaven! If you want to be mellow - Kailua beach is also great for relaxing or strolling up and down. Can you tell I love Kailua? :)

I agree with Grog - Sex good

T

On 2007-11-16 21:53, VanTiki wrote:
If you have the time (a half day) and the weather is good (not too windy) I'd recommend renting a kayak or two and paddling out to the Mokuleia islands off of Lanikai beach in Kailua. Fabulous views and plenty of sea turtles! or you could take the much closer (and easier) kayak trip to flat island off of the AMAZING kailua beach. Finish it up with a dinner at Buzz's Steak house at Kailua beach (make reservations, try to get an outside table, and bring a check - they don't take credit cards) and you will be in heaven! If you want to be mellow - Kailua beach is also great for relaxing or strolling up and down. Can you tell I love Kailua? :)

Ditto that. DEFINITLY go to Kailua and Lanikai beach.

The flat island paddle is great for novices...like me....here is my first ever attempt at kayaking...luckily there was a nice local to help me get on my way...I kept tipping over.

I eventually made it to flat isalnd. What a great time.

As you can see, the water is SOOO blue, especially in summertime. Kailua is paradise.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-11-21 21:09 ]

Wow. What Blue water.

I would also recommend peeking into Da Big Kahuna, while you are at the International Market Place.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26441&forum=2&0

I haven't been there in years but the Willows which is in a residential area had cool decor including a floating war canoe and lagoon. No one else mentioned it so maybe its not worth going to anymore.

D
Dood posted on Thu, Nov 29, 2007 10:19 PM

If you've never eaten at a Cheeseburger in Paradise location, the one in Waikiki is not a bad place to stop. Great food, and it's right across the street from the beach. My wife and I ate there more than once on our last visit.

I

Cheeseburger in Paradise has a fantastic location, but in my opinion the food isn't that good. Unless you like Applebee's and other chain restaurants. The wait staff are haoles wearing grass skirts over their khaki shorts. You can eat at a hamburger chain on the mainland.

Much better food and direct ocean view at Hula's, which is on the second floor above Duke's. Open air seating right over the beach. Hula Grill at the Outrigger, not the dance/bar.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurantpages/HawaiiInfo.php?tag=HIRES060505&code=HI

Speaking of eats, I think a MUST DO is Eggs and Things! What a breakfast! Yes, there is usually a line, and guess what? There's a reason! Their pancakes with coconut syrup are out_of_this_world. I have gotten up at dawn and walked down there by myself to get them.

http://eggsnthings.com/aboutthe.htm

I highly recommend renting a car and going to see the Byodo-In Temple. FANTASTIC!

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_to_see/byodo-in_temple.htm

I also really enjoyed exploring in China Town.

We enjoyed Moana Falls. Rode the bus there.

The Honolulu Aquarium is small, but excellent quality and well worth seeing. Walking distance in Waikiki.

There's a nice nature center on the outskirts of China Town, but I can't remember the name of it. Near the amazing, beautiful Quan Yin temple.

I

One last thing!

Check out the Chart House restaurant and bar overlooking the marina,
http://www.charthousehonolulu.com/

where you can see live Hawaiian music with dinner, or puupuus and poke and tasty drinks.

If you go to their website and click on the Entertainment link, check out the video of "DNA" - Dean Lum and Andy Sexton.

Andy Sexton and his brother John are friends with my DH, they went to high school together and played in the now defunct band "Hawaiian Express". The Sextons play with the band Simplisity and coined the term "Jawaiian" back in the day.

Dean Lum has an awe inspiring falsetto voice. He can really do Hawaiian falsetto.

Makes for a fun evening. Bar is open to the air.

Upon landing, go to the lei stands at the airport, where plumeria leis can be had for as low as $5.00.

If you want to learn to surf go to PTS or Prime Time Sports in front of Fort Drusy (sp?!?) and ask for a lesson with
"Mad Dog". Make sure you tell him the Boo's said hi. He's classic! Don't let his looks scare you! He's only been a beach boy since 1954. And for a good water ride, the Mai Tai'i Cat in front the the Sheraton. The free mai tais are free mai tais..... The ride is great!!!! Prepare to get wet! Ask Filslash. He loved it!

K

When at the International Market Place don't forget to go up in the "treehouse" and have some coffee and/or a sandwich at the Lava Flow Lounge..completely tiki place.

'nuff said

M

For future refference, Waimea Falls Park on the North shore is a must, for Oahu's natural beauty up close.

The PCC is rather dull overall, not about Hawaii but Polynesia as a whole, and would suggest spending that time at the Bishop Museum. But the tiki search can turn up some gems as well as some cool Polynesian structures. The nighttime show isn't so great, which is hard for me to say because they include a steel guitarist, which is appropriate as you'll be merely yards from where the steel guitar was invented. Elvis filmed one of his flix here, but most of that stuff has long been removed.
You can almost get your whole tiki fix just cruising by on Kam. Hwy. They now have many large tiki's at 4 spots along the property, but my favorites are at the front of the next door hotel on the McDonalds side.

To find the other rare amounts of steel guitar, see - http://www.hwnsge.5u.com

The hang gliders are a good time as well.

If you hit Pearl Harbor, go very early so you can check out the submarine exibit for sure, do the battleship, and if you can get away with it, dig off to see the rest of Ford Island, especially if you've done your homework to know what check out. But don't miss the last shuttle off at about 4pm.

Go see http://www.dontiki.com if they're schedualed.

[ Edited by: msteeln 2008-03-24 23:21 ]

MALASADAS!

M

Have you tried the different style malasada EK Fernandez traveling fairs makes?
One from Leonard's is enuf for me, but I attack the wagon at the fairs and walk away with 6, all mine.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, May 22, 2008 5:07 PM

Too bad Do Ho has passed on, his show @ The Beachcomber was ALWAYS truly Waikiki. If your there in mid June be sure to check out the annual "Take A Walk In The Country" (a Don Ho song) Festival @ The Waikiki Shell hosted by The Makaha Sons and others. Last year they had Auntie Genoa, we got to go back stage and meet her.
If Amy and/or Willie K. are in town DO NOT MISS THEM!

Noodle Bars are the coolest there too.

Surf, take a lesson if you don't because Queens and Canoe's are two of the best places to learn and if you do surf it's a blast and summer is the perfect time on the south shore, If you're really into surfing, paddle all the way out to the outer reefs like Pop's ,3's and even Ala Moana. If ya can't brave the board surf thang at least go for a canoe ride, ancient Waikiki at it's best...

Be careful in the THOR STOR, Last couple times we were there we wound up buying original paintings (Hookah Lau Bubble Bar & Viva Lava Diva!)
Thor will be @ this years Hukilau but not vending.

Gosh I LOVE Waikiki...!!!

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-05-22 17:24 ]

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-05-22 18:46 ]

K

Just FYI, the 2008 Makaha Sons "Take a Walk in the Country" show is at the Aloha Tower Marketplace (the old Kapono's). Nice, smaller venue.

K
KuKu posted on Mon, May 26, 2008 4:45 PM

On 2008-05-25 18:43, Koolau wrote:
Just FYI, the 2008 Makaha Sons "Take a Walk in the Country" show is at the Aloha Tower Marketplace (the old Kapono's). Nice, smaller venue.

Ah, last info I had was that it would be back @ the Waikiki Shell after last years Bladesdale Arena show which did not have the intimacy of the Shell. Is that an outdoor theater? The smaller venues are always more fun with the Sons... bummed I can't make this years show but I gotta hit the last Hukilau.

On the weekends there is an art sale along the Diamond Head side of the Honolulu Zoo next to Kapiolani Park, there are local artists work for reasonable prices. Last time i was there i rented this thing called the Luv Bug, its kind of like a go-cart its a great way to cruise and see the sights and parking in that little buggah is easy. All the Japanese stop, point and wave, Look in the local coupon magazines for a discount. There are a million other things but thats all for now.

One other thing you can do that i did with my sister, i left to come back home 2 days before her so she called me when she was by the Duke statue and i logged onto this site and could see her live while i was talking to her. Just a cool way to interact with people not as fortunate to be standing in Waikiki.

http://www.honolulu.gov/multimed/waikiki.asp

updating broken link

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2010-01-03 18:51 ]

Is the Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel shuttered, or redone and de-tikified? (All of the above, unfortunately).

[ Edited by: christiki295 2010-08-24 08:50 ]

On 2007-12-15 23:03, irishf wrote:
There's a nice nature center on the outskirts of China Town, but I can't remember the name of it. Near the amazing, beautiful Quan Yin temple.

Foster Botantical Gardens?
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hiking/botanical_garden_trails.html

Aloha,

You can also contact me for a "Wiki Wiki Waikiki Tiki walking tour!"

M

I recommend doing the Diamond Head hike and on the way back stop at the South Shore Grill, 3114 Monsarrat Ave. southshoregrillhawaii.com for menu, reviews and pictures. Honestly one of the best fish burritos i have ever eaten. Definately broke da mouth! Everyone that i have recommended it to and tried it has thanked me. My mouth literally watered for a year until i got back to Oahu to reunite with this ono food. I was just day dreaming about it so i thought nows a good time to give da scoops.

On 2010-10-02 12:23, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

You can also contact me for a "Wiki Wiki Waikiki Tiki walking tour!"

I have been on it, and recommend it highly!

On 2007-12-18 18:56, christiki295 wrote:
Upon landing, go to the lei stands at the airport, where plumeria leis can be had for as low as $5.00.

Cost-effective leis in Chinatown, too.

K

We'll be on Oahu next week, some North Shore, some Waikiki. Anyone there or visiting want to meet up?

What's the best night to go to La Mariana?

I'm heading to Oahu on Thursday. I plan on checking out Duke's on Sunday.

K

On 2011-08-07 08:30, petittarte wrote:

Petittarte,
A friend recommended seeing his friend Alan Akaka, steel guitar player. His dates are listed below and on his website http://web.me.com/akakaclub/Bringing_Hawaii_To_You/Home.html.

THURSDAYS
6:30-9:30 pm
“Moana Terrace” on the 3rd floor
Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

FRIDAYS
7:00-9:30 pm
“Dukes Restaurant - Waikiki”

We're also going to La Mariana and hoping for a tiki walking tour among all the other usual Oahu activities. I'll PM you my phone number. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up.

Aloha,

On 2011-08-07 08:30, petittarte wrote:

You'll enjoy it. I should be there around 4ish. Look for me.

best,

Phillip

First buy a bottle of rum and a live chicken, then ... oh never mind - I thought this thread was "Best Things to do to a Wahini" :lol:

Pages: 1 2 76 replies