Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

International Market Place: Any Tikis Left?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Are there any left which are part of the original design?

PS. Apologies if this is in TRT II (my bookstore sold out immediately)

M
Mo-Eye posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2007 5:39 PM

Hardly, only about a handful remaining. Do a search here on International Market and Trader Vics, and you'll see a thread showing the recent destruction.

T

Actually, they only demolished one small corner of the marketplace,unfortunately it was the original Trader Vics location. BUT, the rest of the marketplace has many of the original tikis.
Also, there is a new tiki coffee house on the second floor. It never has abyone inside but, so I don't know how long it will be there.

Plus there are the carvers there doping their thing and lots of tikis in the shops, AND the THOR STORE.

The place is always buzzing with people and it's a fun time walking thru and shopping.

Thanks to Filslash, I can happily confirm the existence of many of a tiki there.
Amazing that I missed all of them when I was there before.

G

Hmmm... I must have missed them all too. Because all I found there was a crumbled shell of its former glory. The former Trader Vic's bulldozed into oblivion. The cheap trinkets being hawked were everywhere. And if you so much as paused to look at a booth without buying something, they practically sneered at you. Not a friendly place to shop. Just a place to get some cheap eats and that is all unfortunately. At least the banyan tree is still there and we can dream of what once was...

Pages: 1 4 replies