Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

1st Tiki!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Hi everyone this is my first post here but I have been lurking for a couple of months since I found this site....thanks for having me! Just after some advice for finishing this Tiki I made today....my first one....bit of a copy from an image I found but hey, just wondering what the best solution for a Hebel stone carving finish is...any advice? I'm thinking coat with sealer and leave white, put a brown/black wash over it and drybrush some effects or should I smooth it all out with plaster and then hit it with my airbrush? Any advice welcomed....

Shot with DMC-LZ3 at 2007-11-05

[ Edited by: the dr of style 2007-11-19 04:02 ]

M
MBL posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2007 10:47 AM

Hey dude! that's a great first TIKI! cool design. I might borrow that look for a stump I have here. :)
Tim
MBL

welcome cool tiki and just have fun

B

Welcome Dr, Definitely a great first tiki. Yes you should seal it up and then do whatever you like for colors, just don't go to wacky! That Aerated cement will dissolve if it gets wet so it should be sealed from top to bottom, Then, Just have Fun!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2007 1:59 PM

Very cool tiki, nicely done. As you'd be aware, the hebel is great to work with. As folks have said, hit it with a concrete sealer to protect it from the elements.

You'll find when you hit it with some paint, the air bubbles will fill a little and it'll smooth out a little. I wouldn't worry about plaster on it. I've used stone texture paint on mine, that came out pretty cool. Or just use straight exterior grade paint. The dry brushing is a good idea too. That will create a more weathered textures surface, which will look better. There's some very cool special effects paint too - a mate of mine used that rust paint on a hebel tiki, it came out absolutely awesome. One tiki I had I sprayed it gold metallic, then when it was still wet I hit it with balck (I was just using spraycans). The gold metallic sunk into the crevasses, so it had a really nice effect to it. Play around with it - it's just paint! IF you stuff up, just repaint it!

S

Welcome, most defently that fella rocks, very nice work.

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2007 9:46 PM

I also was wondering about the same thing, Dr. Style. I have a can of Behr concrete primer, and concrete stain that I was going to try out on a Hebel/AAC carving. I'm not sure if it's what I want though because I tried a test piece and was not really ga-ga over the results.

Hewey and Aaron's Akua are the only others I can think of on TC who have carved Hebel/AAC. Hey Hewey (or anybody else out there with Hebel carvings!), do ya have any pictures of the painted pieces you mentioned? We wanna see 'em!

Oh, and welcome to TC, Dr. Of Style.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 6, 2007 12:01 AM

Here's a couple of good threads on AAC/Hebel . :D

This one has some really good general links on carving, but looks like some of them have been lost
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10055&forum=7

and plenty of pics of finished aac/hebel tikis here
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16053&forum=7&hilite=aac

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-11-06 00:09 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-11-06 00:11 ]

I handed this tiki in as part of a uni assignment, and now have an order for three for a friends back yard!! happy with that....and I'll get paid, even better!

B

HappyHappyHappy!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 20, 2007 7:18 PM

Sweet! Make sure you post some pics of them in their new digs. How did you end up painting this bad boy?

Had my Uni grad show last night and this bad boy was sold before we opened, and I now have another comission for one 'a little bit happier looking' to go with the other 3. I'm thinking I might do something with the see, speak and hear no evil theme making similar ones with slight changes....anyone seen someone else show examples of this?....I sold it for $100 Aust....me thinks now that was a little low but $75 profit for a few hrs work seems to work for me.....I'll get some potos of my stuff up in a few days... all up I sold about $540 worth of art (not counting these commissions).......

M

I hate you

Nice Tiki

Welcome to carving.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 30, 2007 4:26 AM

Nice work, sounds like it went well! :D

S

Good for you Dr. Man you are taking off after your first carve.
Nice to see you using the higher education already.

Here are two of the tiki's I've done this week, one similar to the original one and the other open mouth one I just made up as I went along...Eyes are a bit of a let down but hey......one day I'll have to try that thing trees are made of...

Some bowling pins churned out for our show a few weeks ago

Cheers

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2007 2:07 PM

Looking good mate :D Now you just gotta paint those suckas! - beleive me they look so much cooler with some colour. One thing you might want to try is removing the centre of the eyes, and painting them or making up an insert to go in them :D

S

Style Dr Nice looking tikis can you put the
bolling pin paint job on the tikis?

Hi guys sorry I haven't been around for a while just a question....I've just picked up a log from a recently felled White Gum tree.....this will be my first wood tiki carving attept.....should I store the log until it has dried out or just get started asap.....does the water make it easier or harder to carve? Cheers

Great looking Tiki Doc...

But how could you sell your first born?!? :tiki:

Then again, it IS money...

We like money.

sweet dude another aussie and yours selling them spread them round WA then work your way around Oz nice work

no water dude. just a some sharp chisels and a mallet or something to hit them with oh and some time

Pages: 1 21 replies