Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A little Kelbo's collection pic

Pages: 1 13 replies

I know this is a really small gathering of Kelbo's goodies (smiley mug is a stand-in), please let us see what you have, I know there has to be some good stuff out there in your tiki bars.

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-11-11 19:42 ]

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-11-11 19:48 ]

Sven......I know you have some goodies, it's sharing time!.

I am sorry, but my Kelbo's ephemera just didn't fit into my suitcase, so I could not take them with me to South Africa....

No, all joking aside, besides some resin fishnet floats, and slides that I took, I do not have much (a mug, a pin, a matchbook and a napkin). It is strange that it seems that they never had postcards...or elaborate menus, or swizzle sticks. I think they always were a working man's place and did not go for that fancy stuff. I am still hoping to find (and re-publish) that great color brochure with the map one day, (the one I posted a black and white xerox of in that granddaughter's thread), that one had the best photos, including the Tiki and the conversation window in it.

I encourage however any and all postings of Kelbo's finds here. I am still bummed I did not win that one slide recently of the Fairfax Kelbo's. I also want to encourage any further research, like about the connection of the either one of the owners with Horrace Heidt's band. Here are some pics from Horrace Heidt's apartments in the Valley:

The place still has some nice features, including the big waterfalls, an A-frame, and some Tikis.

Well if the big guy says post your pics, then ya best git to posting!.Have a safe trip Sven. Danke

O

I have some pictures of the present day Fantasy Island.
Should I post them?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-11-12 08:42 ]

Arkiva Tropika has a nice scan of a Kelbo's menu.

N

My pal John has the resin windows and a good friend in New Mexico has the pickle tiki. I used to have some flotsam, but it sort of jetsammed over the years...
LAPL has some nice menus:

http://www.lapl.org/resources/en/menu_collection.html

nichols, could you contact your pal and get some pics of the tiki?, it would be so cool. I am not sure which tiki is the "pickle", but if it's from Kelbo's, it is cool!.Pics of the window would also be neat.

K
kiara posted on Tue, Nov 13, 2007 9:56 AM

Here's one of the resin and wood wall dividers
from the pico Kelbo's.It's about 150lbs.

nice wall divider!, is it sitting outside??, I sure hope not. Thank you for posting the pic.

N

I forgot to mention that I have the back-lit plexi sign. It must be 8 or 10 feet long. It's kinda homemade and it's deteriorating a little bit even though it's stored behind my sofa.

Hey 2WT,

Sorry I don't have any Kelbo's collectibles to post here (see my PM too), but aside from my undimned and very fond memories, I do have this little guy --

-- who's inspired in name and appearance by the unforgetably wacky scene that Kelbo's was. Thanks for posting your treasures here. (Those menues were soooo racy when I was a wee fry -- first time I saw sailors chasing little topless wahines around -- Oooo.)

If and when I add some solid souvenirs to my wetware, I'll be very glad to share them with the Ohana, and you.

Best cheers,
SOK

nichols, PLEASE post a pic!!. And son of kelbo, please get thine butt on ebay and buy that kelbo's ashtray!!. As a thank you, I offer a great tasting drink from Kelbo's.
A Kelbo's scorpion (i'm on my 3rd as I type!)
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz orange juice
3/4 oz brandy
1 oz dark jamaican rum
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
1/2 oz orgeat syrup
blend with 8 oz of ice and drink away!, good stuff.

Here is a matchbook cover I just came across. For the Pico and Fairfax addresses.

Inside printing

Pages: 1 13 replies