Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NYC Ohana: Mai Tais at Shun Lee- The Sequel Thursday, November 29

Pages: 1 40 replies

UT

The first event was very successful and introduced me to many of the great NYC TC tribe, so I thought we should do it again. Shun Lee's is at 43 W 65th Street, and we should plan on meeting at 6:30. For those it missed the first one see this post:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25308&forum=4&17

Changed the date from 15th to 29th

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-11-07 08:57 ]

UT

I had to change the date, as this was not good for most of the NYC TCers.

Excellent! Now we should be around for the Shun Lee sequel!

would like to attend
will plan to attend
save me a monkey!

Lucky you didn't move it one day to Thanksgiving Day. I'll still be able to make it on the 29th.

K

We'd love to come! We'll be at the Mai Kai on Nov. 15
so I'm glad you changed the date.

Our arrival time 11/29 depends on my work schedule but we'll be there!

Cheers,
Kiki and David

K

I forgot to mention that the day after our Shun Lee get-together is my husband
David's birthday so he'll be extra happy to be drinking mai tai's with you all!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Rats! I was originally coming back from my extended Thanksgiving on the Tuesday before, but turns out I will stay in LA for work the rest of the week. So good because I get to see my family longer, but bad because I will miss this! Any chance that we will do this a third time????

CaptainQuad and I will be there for at least the early, "after work" portion.

Paranoid - theres always the ottos tiki xmas party in december - Plus its closer to your place!

Nice to see a good turnout shaping up for this.

Kevin - don't worry, I have a feeling that we will be doing this again, along with many other events as the group keeps rolling along!

On 2007-11-20 05:50, leisure master wrote:
Nice to see a good turnout shaping up for this.

Kevin - don't worry, I have a feeling that we will be doing this again, along with many other events as the group keeps rolling along!

Woo hoo! Hope to see NYC folks soon! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

K

I'm counting the days till that delicious mai tai!

The last one I had was 2 weeks ago in Florida at
The Mai Kai with some of the NYC Tiki Central ohana
and the lovely Tiki Kiliki of The Hukilau.

But rum tastes just as good in The Big Apple if it's mixed right!

Aloha,
Kiki

I PLAN TO ATTEND just a little later than 6:30 save me a monkey...

I am looking forward to the NYC TC Ohana again and hearing about the Florida trip. We'll save a monkey and rum for SneakyJack.

K

On 2007-11-27 20:51, sneakyjack wrote:
I PLAN TO ATTEND just a little later than 6:30 save me a monkey...

I know someone who will be arriving at 10pm so we're going
to have to hang in there strong- and maybe consume some
appetizers so we don't fall off the bar stools!

Darn it, Martikibird and I were planning to come see you guys, but a work-related holiday party overlapped and we aren't going to be able to manage both. We'll miss you guys! Shun-Lee's is where we met so many of you for the first time, so it has a special significance for us. Next time, and have a great time!

I'm planning on hitting th' joint sharp at 6:30 as I have to split by 7:00--it's a mad mad mad mad dash, like the rest of this rat race, but I reckon one mai tai beats zero mai tai and I can at least say hi y'all. I know some can't come til later--will anyone be there early?

Hopefully we'll get there by 7, but its going to be close...

I am sure others will be there right at 6:30 since there is alcohol involved.

Change of plans- shun Lee's is having a private party so we're having Mai Tai's at my place 212-541-5102

K

Thanks to Ray for saving the day with some awesome last minute hospitality.
Got a glimpse of his aluminum Xmas tree- it's a beauty!

Hope to see all of you soon at some soiree or another.

Mahalo, Urban Tiki!

Aloha,
Kiki and David

"we've got to keep meeting like this..."
As stated pushed out of Shun Lee and off to Urban Tikis -

there was ice..

there were glasses (with tasty Mai tais in em - mines empty here)

things got blurry

but as Dave explains it...

things came together>

and there was the happy couple

NYC Ohana

the "article" was discussed

Dave Agrees (Happy bday)

a shiny tree (with tikis in the background from Bosko)
Aloha!!!

Mahalo Urban Tiki For savin the day

I hear I missed a great night! It was so good of Urban Tiki to open his fabulous home to everyone when Shun Lee's didn't work out and I have to give a big thank you here to Leisure Master and Birdgirl for taking care of my wayward hubby after he missed his train! :lol:

No worries VT, we were glad to have him. I hope he's doing ok (or at least better than me).

When we got back to our place the impromptu rum and scotch tasting began after Nicole whipped up some hot buttered burbon for all of us and our other house guest.

it was kinda too much joy for a school night. oy vey.

It was a great time- thanks to everyone for coming. Great pics and post Sneaky Jack!

Yep, we were shut out of Shun's all right. Well UT knows a few things about assembling a private party and frankly a better one. I had a blast with the friendly NYC ohana--well clearly as I lost track of time and missed my elephant ride home (thanks to LM & BG for saving my hide.) A big hearty thanks goes to the proprietor for opening up th' gates to the estate, catering the joint, slapping on the stack o' Lps for full, rich hi fi sound and acting as mixmaster. Damn good drinks I might add.

T

Well, it looks like I missed a good 'un. I was the person to whom Kiki referred earlier in the thread - had hoped to arrive around 10pm, but....

I had the pleasure of meeting some of you at the Marion's [aka "Kahiki East"] soiree last summer, and it would have been nice to meet the rest of the NYC ohana - hopefully we will get another chance before the year is out.

In the meantime - happy Fridays, everyone!

Best,
Dennis

http://www.myspace.com/dekethebeachcomber

Ray -- a belated thanks for your hospitality in providing a memorable Shun Lee alternative! Your Mai Tais and even the Chinese delivery were excellent. Too bad more folks didnt hang around for the Pyrat shots, cigars, and custom guitar appreciation portion of the evening!!! Dave

What's up for our December tiki event calendar???

May need to make an Ottos run in December during the week?
We can start a new thread if theres interest?

UT

Everybody knows about my holiday party on 12/14, right! I think I sent an evite to everyone. Let e know if anyone didn't get it.
Ray

T

You think the 'Naked City' would have more TC'ERS show up! Probably where at the Knicks game !

On 2007-12-05 14:56, sneakyjack wrote:
May need to make an Ottos run in December during the week?
We can start a new thread if theres interest?

If I am not hampered by work, I would go!

K

I am going to start a new thread proposing a night
at Otto's when my California friend Dan meets us there
for his first visit (probably Fri. Dec. 28)
Sometimes you need to recover from all/or the lack of
family activity during the holidays & that might be
good for those of us in town..

Dan runs the Myspace Tiki Paradise users group at
http://groups.myspace.com/httptikigroupmyspacecom

His profile is http://www.myspace.com/dan_k

Anyone going to be around?

We should be around...

T

Let me know when you guys will be around.
BTW we're having our xmas party sunday dec. 16 6pm. It won't be especially Tiki but there'll be an open bar for a few hours, bands (I'm playing at 9pm w/ the Vondells) plus we'll have some munchies. Hope you can make it. Celebrate a religious holiday at a pagan temple!
steve/otto's

T

Kiki,

We will probably be around - will keep an eye on this thread to see how things develop!

All the best,
Dennis & Margie

K

On 2007-12-08 23:24, tastysp wrote:
Let me know when you guys will be around.
BTW we're having our xmas party sunday dec. 16 6pm. It won't be especially Tiki but there'll be an open bar for a few hours, bands (I'm playing at 9pm w/ the Vondells) plus we'll have some munchies. Hope you can make it. Celebrate a religious holiday at a pagan temple!
steve/otto's

We will definitely come by the Otto's holiday party!
-KikiTiki & David (P.S. David needs a tiki name if anyone has any suggestions!!!!!)

We'll be at Otto's on the 16th- Thanks Steve!

I'll try to come up with a name worthy of David's swankiness.

Hey, we're going to a show at 9:00 on the 16th, so maybe we can drop by beforehand!

We should be around. Sounds like a good time. If people want to gather for dinner somewhere first, that would be good too.

I have a couple of thoughts already on names for David...

Joe

On 2007-12-10 07:24, leisure master wrote:
We should be around. Sounds like a good time. If people want to gather for dinner somewhere first, that would be good too.

I have a couple of thoughts already on names for David...

Joe

Good idea. We'll discuss on Friday.

Pages: 1 40 replies