Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is Sam's Seafood Closing....again?

Pages: 1 18 replies

R

I don't want to be the one to start rumors or be responsible for spreading them, but what the hell...

I have heard from what I consider to be a reliable source on the "inside" that there are some serious money problems lurking and that Sam's may very well be closing-up business again.

What a pisser! I hope that this turns out to be bad information. We shall see.

Remember what tiki diablo said.....about their not being around for long. doh!

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-11-08 17:58 ]

On 2007-11-07 16:48, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
Remember what tiki diablo said.....about their being around for long.

can you try saying that again. I don't understand.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

If the rumor is going around, it isn't from me!

Thanks for not putting me in the middle guys.

K
Koolau posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 7:33 AM

I went to Sam's last night to buy a mug, and it was closed, dark, shut at 5:15 pm. I thought perhaps they open at 6:00, but there were no signs of any inside activity at all.

TS

Well if they are closing again, it might be from the $32 ribeye steak or the $14 hamburger, Among other things?

P

They were closed this week because a pipe burst and they had to do plumbing work. I was told they would reopen Thursday, only I am not going back to Seal Beach any more this week. But $32 steak and $14 burgers? They are not going to be getting a lot of business at those prices.

They are also closed on Mondays and only open for dinner.

The last two times I went there (once on a Monday, once on Saturday afternoon), they were closed. Of course, I could have always checked out their schedule before I left. :)

This article just came out today

Long Beach Grunion Gazette: Sam's Seafood

Hours: Sam’s is open from 5 to 10 p.m. for dinner Thursday through Saturday. It’s reggae night Thursday from 8 to midnight, and there is dancing from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

I'm confused, does it say its only open from Thurs. to Sat.?

I could be wrong but I could swear I've been there on Tues. and a few Sun's ago.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Diablo, what i'm loosly quoting is a comment that was made right before sam's re-opened, something along the lines of "don't expect them to stay open long". I will re-trace the post if possible.

Straight from the manager's mouth....SAM'S will ONLY be open Thursday thru Saturday. They were losing money the other nights they were open. She said they even lost money last Sunday when the Martini Kings played. If you want a mug I suggest you go in Thurs-Sat while you can!

T

Was Sams losing money on the 'Gays'?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Nov 12, 2007 6:07 AM

The best reason to go to Sams was the Island Girl Floor Show they'd have all summer. It was a one-price rib dinner and hula girl extravaganza that is not coming back. I went to the show twice and the big room in back was crowded to the gills and man it was a full-on PARTY. Some had been going for decades.

The last time we went my friend blew out his motor trying to get there on time from LA. He fixed it on the highway, got to Sams just in time, and after dinner the cutest girl of the show sat down with us at our table and told us all about how she got into hula, etc. Best time I've ever had in a Tiki Bar. We really didn't want to leave.

The new owners don't know what they're doing. But it ain't rocket science.

Sounds like their new plan is to lose money Thurs-Sun.

On 2007-11-08 20:34, SoccerTiki wrote:
Straight from the manager's mouth....SAM'S will ONLY be open Thursday thru Saturday. They were losing money the other nights they were open. She said they even lost money last Sunday when the Martini Kings played. If you want a mug I suggest you go in Thurs-Sat while you can!

maybe its because they hae to many wait staff.
there was like 30 people runing aorund, and it still took forever to get a glass of water, and ketchup for my fries.

what the hell were they doing, coke in the kitchen?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

When I was there on Saturdays, Sam's seemed to have ample business, but I can understand the rest of the days being slow. True, it would seem that they could recalibrate their staffing.

However, a small business has to make such decisions.

What decision is that? Hire numbskull kids with no appreciation of the culture of the legendary place they work in?

This is of course as oppossed to hiring older nuckleheads who do appreciate their surroundings but drink away all their tips and paychecks and then end up living in boxes under a bridge.

*On 2007-11-14 15:18, rugbymatt wrote:*and then end up living in boxes under a bridge.

Or, as Matt Foley would say, livin' in a van down by the river.

Pages: 1 18 replies