Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vintage Australian Tiki

Pages: 1 3 replies

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 4:35 AM

Here's some tiki pics from the National Library of Australia, thought people might enjoy them.

http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pictureaustralia?action=PASearch&mode=display&rs=resultset-150720&no=1

The Tiki was a small boat owned by the Sunholdts and was used for small parties of people wishing to come to Mica Beach. A dinghy transfer was part of the fun.

Tiki Village, Surfers Paradise, January 1970

Tiki Village, Surfers Paradise, 1968.
In the mid 1860s James Beattie and Jim Miller built a jetty, store rooms and a large barn on the banks of the Nerang River. This original building became known as "The House of Blazes" and was Surfers Paradise's first entertainment centre. One hundred years later in 1965 Bernie Elsey built the Beachcomber Tiki Village on the same site as the 'House of Blazes'. In January 1973 Tiki Village burned down and the site was eventually sold.

Nerang River flooding Cavill Avenue showing "Tiki Village" and Paddleboat

KON TIKI RESTAURANT, LORNE, VIC

Jones & Bowen and Tiki Snack Bar buildings, Franklin Street, south side, 13th February 1970.

Calico sign on side of Tiki Village

T.E.A.L. (New Zealand) airlines office in Collins St. 1961
Architect: Winston Hall; view through glass doors of front entrance showing kiwi on wall, model aeroplane and poster about Tahiti behind window; reception showing desks, chairs, geometric patterned walls, tiki on wall at back.

Good work Hewey, goes to show that Australia was influenced by tiki, even though nothing seems to still be around these days.

great post, hewey. I really like the TEAL airlines office - very tiki mod!

TT

Hey Hewey...
Nice Bit of research there..
Every time i go to Surfers Paradise I always stop by the old Tiki Village and try to see some hidden treasures but never had any luck...
There is however an old stone tiki in an overgrown garden on the gold coast highway opposite Hanlan St if you get up there for vacation...
Cheers..

Pages: 1 3 replies