Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can anyone help identify this Tiki, hopefully Polynesian style :smile:

Pages: 1 8 replies

HOK

Aloha, I just picked up this Tiki in Hawaii and am trying to pinpoint it's origins. He has a classic pose and is withered with wood rot/bug damage to his base. I've never seen this style of ears before...any suggestions?

A close up of the ears

Primitive chip marks on the neck

I wiped him down with a little water and he has a nice koa like color

The only other thing I can add is that between his feet, its notched so he could be lashed down....Hellllpppp. Freddie

Interesting Piece... Looks to be of the "Joseph Merrick" style.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-11-09 07:40 ]

HOK

Mahalo, Royale...Thats a start...CSI style :)
http://media.eurekalert.org/release_graphics/EMorph2.jpg
Certainly qualifies as LowBrow :)
Freddie

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-11-09 11:24 ]

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2007-11-09 11:25 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:16 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2007 8:29 PM

That's really STRANGE. Is it one solid piece? Cause if it is, the carver had loads of talent, despite the Spock ears, etc.

And how old ya think it is?

I say it was a goofy weekend project by a pro Hawaiian Tiki carver, probabaly from the - what - 1950s??? He didn't finish the right eye, which tells me he did the whole thing for fun, and probably kept it for himself instead of knocking it out for a restaurant.

The whole piece is one big question mark. What's up with the feet? What's that crap all over them? Has he been walking around in the mud?

It's freakin' interesting, Ku.

HOK

Mahalo Cammo! This is one solid piece, just about 5 lbs and about 22" tall. The sellers had no ideas as to the age and I'm not sure how long it was in the weather to get this withered. Another view of the base/feet.

He does have a big ol' butt

The only thing I do know is I Likee and he seems to be smiling more :) Aloha, Freddie

T

Almost looks like he is carrying a coconut. And that truly would be Poly. (I know, its his belly)

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Nov 15, 2007 6:45 PM

Do you think it's the Outer Space Alien Tiki on which all other Tikis are based? Is it an exact portrait of the Off-Worlders who brought Tiki to Earth?

• Is this in fact the MISSING LINK Tiki? -
HOK

Funny you should make that alien connection, Cammo. As soon as I brought the Mystery Tiki home, Smokey the WonderCat,started discussing the Time-Space continuum with him as seen here...

Howzit Teakey, mahalo for checking in. Actually its a storage vessel for sustenance, coconut looking for that Polynesian flair and useful for those long intergalactic journeys. :lol:
Aloha, Freddie

Pages: 1 8 replies