Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kona Kai Tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

I thought you guys might get a kick out of these pictures. This winter we finally erected our big tiki in the backyard. He's from the Kona Kai where we were married a couple of years ago and thanks to the diligence of our good friends, we located their whereabouts a year after they had been removed. There were originally four standing in front of the Chicago Kona Kai, one (probably my favorite) unfortunately went the way of the dumpster but the remaining three finally found themselves in loving homes. They were all made by Oceanic Arts I believe. This one was originally 15 feet tall. Now he's only 13 or 14- we had to shave off some of the base as it was uneven and a little worn or rotted. But there was plenty of base below the tiki so I still think he looks good. Thanks to all our friends who helped us install this fella, we couldn't have done it without you!

Here are a few photos of his big move...
http://www.pegboardchicago.com/backyard.html

Verrrrrry Nice! He looks great, especially with a little dusting of snow.
Congratulations on a graet rescue.
Aloha

:tiki:

Very nice, congrats! I have some slides of this guy (and his cronies) in situ at the Kona Kai, with snow, day and night.
He is a brother of the one that OA made for that Hotel in Tahiti, though not quite AS big (BOT, p 245).

Congrats Boutiki! Glad to see another tiki relic saved by one of us TC'ers.

(In my best Colonel Kilgore) "Outstanding, Boutiki...outstanding....get ya a case of beer for that one..."

P

Wow ! What a great score. Congrats !

Pages: 1 5 replies