Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Trader Vic's Vegas

Pages: 1 7 replies

I just visited TV's in Vegas last weekend, and since I don't come on here much I hadn't read any reviews of it and didn't know what to expect. Tikinaut summed it up pretty well, but I will add a couple things....

First, when we showed up the hostess asked if we wanted to sit at the bar or go up to the lounge. I asked, "Which one is more tiki?" and she replied "um neither really" so we decided to check out the lounge. the lounge was nice but there was an annoying DJ playing dance music and it was pretty loud. I too felt like it was a Paris Hilton hangout! the view was outstanding - we overlooked the Strip, the Bellagio fountains, and the Paris. The cocktail servers wore skimpy outfits and were so freezing they were walking around hugging themselves! they were very sweet though. We asked for a menu and I noticed that the drink selection is about 1/2 of what's normally on the menu. Our server said they knew nothing about the drinks because they weren't trained on them....she said in 3 weeks the lounge was going to be bottle service ONLY. For that reason I'm glad we sat up there since I'll never be going back again!

I noticed my glass said "Trader Vic's Las Vegas" on it. (I've attached a pic) I asked the server if I could buy it. She said she didn't know and to check with the hostess downstairs. I asked the hostess and she said to check the glass case. NOTHING! I should have just shoved the damn thing in my bag, not like I haven't done it before!

I'm glad we went to TV's but I probably won't make a point of going back there again. I would maybe go back only if I could sit on the patio....good people watching!

I agree - Cheeseburger has much better food AND Tiki decor!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Tiki Glam 2007-11-10 23:42 ]

I should have just shoved the damn thing in my bag, not like I haven't done it before!

Not cool. One should never partake in the five finger discount. Remember, they're still a business. They have rent, taxes, supplies and employees to pay. Although very tempting, if everyone took one of their glasses, that would definitely add up after awhile.

What they should do is charge a little extra and let the customer keep the glass.

In fact, after asking the bartender, I purchased one of their drink menus for $15. A bit pricey, yes. But I'd rather pay for it in good conscious than take something that isn't mine.

On 2007-11-12 10:14, Tikinaut wrote:

I should have just shoved the damn thing in my bag, not like I haven't done it before!

Not cool. One should never partake in the five finger discount. Remember, they're still a business. They have rent, taxes, supplies and employees to pay. Although very tempting, if everyone took one of their glasses, that would definitely add up after awhile.

What they should do is charge a little extra and let the customer keep the glass.

In fact, after asking the bartender, I purchased one of their drink menus for $15. A bit pricey, yes. But I'd rather pay for it in good conscious than take something that isn't mine.

So what do you think really happened to that fifteen dollars? Do you think the bartender turned that money over to the management to buy another drink menu? Do you think that letting the bartender take some money really clears your conscious? Are you really "more cool" than Tiki Glam by involving the Bartender in your thievery? Perhaps yes.

No need to get your hula skirt in a bunch now Tikinaut.....I was mostly kidding! and hey, I DID TRY very hard to BUY THE DAMN GLASS. I have bought tiki glasses all over the place, so it's not like I am traveling the world shoving mugs in my bag! Nobody there knew what the hell they were doing unfortunately, otherwise they would have charged me extra and let me keep the glass. Perhaps next time I visit Vegas they will have their crap together!

T

Do you think the bartender turned that money over to the management to buy another drink menu?

Actually, I used my credit card (which I always do when I'm on vacation). The cost of the menu was added to our drink tab by the manager.

Do you think that letting the bartender take some money really clears your conscious?

Well, he's an employee at the restaurant/bar. If everyone is stealing their glassware, then obviously he will be affected in the long term. The restaurant will be losing money because they need to purchase more glassware. Lose money = lay people off.

"Are you really "more cool" than Tiki Glam by involving the Bartender in your thievery?"

I never stated that I was "more cool" than Tiki Glam. I just think that people shouldn't take things from restaurants that don't belong to them. You would never pocket a Tiki mug from a friend's home, so why is taking one from a restuarant any different?. And when does paying for something equal thievery??? I'm not following your reasoning.

T

On 2007-11-12 11:44, Tiki Glam wrote:
Nobody there knew what the hell they were doing unfortunately, otherwise they would have charged me extra and let me keep the glass. Perhaps next time I visit Vegas they will have their crap together!

My sentiments exactly Tiki Glam. It seemed like the staff there had no grasp of the history/allure of their restaurant.

I was there 2 weeks ago & the bartender punched a number for each mug/bowl/glass into the computer & came up with a price for each. Personally, I thought $25.00 for a TV mug was a bit steep. I was kind enough to let them keep it & the next night, I bought a mug at Cheeseburger, (Tiki Farm by the way) for a mere $12.00. I then bought a Lucky Tiki mug (once again, Tiki Farm) the next night at Hard Rock for another $12.00. I expect to pay for these things but, I won't be taken advantage of by some corporate knucklehead. I must say, the bartender at TV was very nice & certainly not painful to gaze upon!!!

D
Dood posted on Thu, Nov 29, 2007 10:22 PM

Wayne Curtis recently reviewed Trader Vic's in Scottsdale with similar results.

I think that everyone's going to have to face the fact that TVick's is just using the name because people recognize it, but what it used to be is pretty much gone in any of the new locations.

Pages: 1 7 replies