Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Process and Materials

Pages: 1 3 replies

J

I want to build a Tiki room for my kids. Well, almost. I’m trying to create the illusion that you are outside of a Polynesian hut. You are a lookout outpost radio operator. Stationed in the south pacific you are hanging out in a peacful paradise either alone with your thoughts or playing XBox with your friends. One wall of the kids rec room has two windows. We were going to bolt a reclaimed door between the windows. Then we would frame the windows in bamboo and build a faux thatch eave to simulate the roof. The room is fairly large at 22’x17’ with 9' ceilings. Two questions:

1.Materials: We live in the Seattle area. I’m trying to find a local supplier of say woven mat, thatch material, bamboo, or reed fencing. Any thoughts on how to acquire the materials to build such an simulated wall. I can travel to Portland or Vancouver, BC.

1. Process: I’ve never worked with bamboo. I’m not even sure I need to. I don’t know how pull it off such that it looks authentic. Woven mat? What works best?

I apologize if these have been covered in other post. I’m sure it’s covered in a thread some place. However, I was unsuccessful locating it.
Any help on these items would helpful. Or if there are other ideas on decorating a rec room/study lounge would be greatly appreciated. However, the Tiki theme is a must. We have not found anything at the home improvemtn sotres that would be of much use.

John ...

D

bamboo hardwoods is in seattle. they'll have all the materials you need! i'm not a handy person, so we hired someone to make our homebar.

so a bit of searching around, and you'll find handy tips for cutting/sanding/sealing bamboo.

good luck! post plenty of before and after pictures!!

elicia (also in the Jet City)

J

We'll be sure to post Before and After images. We are very excited to get started.

Thanks for the pointer!

when you're ready to decorate the walls, Ken Pleasant is local and has great carvings. and dont forget Seamus. make sure to look in "Other Crafts" for ideas.

we're having a home bar tour on December 15th in Seattle ~ join us (adults only, please)

Pages: 1 3 replies