Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TIKI MODERN--The small print

Pages: 1 4 replies

One of the compromises of stuffing as much imagery into this book as possible is that in some cases, the text contained in a piece of paper ephemera is ALMOST too small to read. I herewith want to encourage all Tiki Mod readers to zoom in, (if necessary with a magnifying glass), on some of the texts I find essential to the appreciation of the images:

Page 21: The speech bubble in the blue "Cocktail Party Cliches" really is key to getting the humor of that collage

Page 71: The caption to the Bali Hai photo, damn tightly cut!

Page 79: That text in the Mauna Loa menu really captures the whole make believe mystique of Tiki. What a great piece of Polynesian pop poetry! I am still bummed about the size (too small), and the background texture being too much in focus (same problem on p. 93), but I was tired arguing with the art director about it.

Page 116: The Tiki Tabu Apts brochure text

Page 133: The "EVERYONE has fun..." ad - What does it say under "Hilton Hawaiian Village" ...!? Damn, that is so cool.

Page 178: The Hawaiian Gardens brochure photo captions...so funny...but lost to the average viewer, sigh!

Page 194: That the sign actually says "TIKI" on it!

Page 238: Johnson Products catalog cover text

Page 265: The reader's letter. Damn, they really could have made that bigger, it is the TEXT that is important...but again, I lost the argument.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-11-12 03:11 ]

Will do, with pleasure, thank you, Wendy

I am glad I finally gave in to reading glasses this year so it is not an issue!.

TS

Bought the book, already read it, and now I'm going back as not to miss the fine details....Cheers
-Tom

On 2007-11-13 06:41, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
I am glad I finally gave in to reading glasses this year so it is not an issue!.

Me too... stubbornly. "Why don't we go to my place and I'll show you my collection of primitive sculpture," is very funny. And I'll can read them all except the Tiki Tabu text.

Pages: 1 4 replies