Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Still seeking new friends

Pages: 1 10 replies

I think I posted a topic here several months ago on this same subject. I'm from the Boston, Massachusetts area and want to connect with any other members of this online community who live nearby or just within a days driving range. Anyone from around my area please respond so we can connect!

Welcome. The New England Ohana should have a December get-together and we can meet up. (says I) Check out the New England events thread to which SB pointed you in t'other thread.

T

Hey Pappy do you live anywhere near Spencer? Chef Sau in "downtown" is listed as a Polynesian restaurant. Haven't had a chance to drive through and see?

Anyway as for new friends as Pappy said check out the New England events thread. I'm also hopeful for a December get together.

Tikisgrl

I used to live IN Spencer. Chef Sau is right next to WHITCO! All I remember about Chef Sau was they'd serve anybody. I don't remember thinking they were especially Polynesian but this was circa 1987 and all I cared about then was girls. As it happens, I am doing Urban Archaeology tomorrow so I might swing by.

Chef Sau = no tiki

T

On 2007-11-14 14:26, pappythesailor wrote:
Chef Sau = no tiki

Awww... Darn... did you at least get a snack? Thanks for checking it out!

Beth

I didn't even make it in the door. You could see right in via the plate glass window--not a tiki place.

Went to the Kahula in Sturbridge. I knew there's no tiki there but I was hoping there was somebody who knew it when. There was. The head hostess lady had been working there since 1978. She might have some pics for me.

Went to the Debbie Wong in Ware, MA. This was the FIRST Chinese restaurant I ever went to and I knew it was tiki once. Debbie Wong was a mini-chain here in MA; five Debbies at one time. The Ware location is run by the nephew of Mr. Wong and the one in W. Springfield is run by his cousin. Still has a formidable Polynesian menu and the standard cocktails but ZERO tiki.

I didn't eat anywhere. I had a wretched drink at the Kahula called the Honi Honi which seems to be sour mix, pineapple and some kind of bourbon. I think it was whiskey, anyway.

I have another day off tomorrow--where to go....

T

Probably a wise decision for your stomach...

I wonder where are all the pack rats? What would help in the search would be old phone books & play bills from theaters... There was a stack of play bills for Boston at an antique store I go to & there were some ads for tiki places in and around Boston. I should have bought them when I saw them! Anyway, I'll keep hunting my side of the state for stuff...

Ooh pictures would be great...

Tomorrow you plan to take over the world?

Beth

pappy, have you been to lalajava?

The coffee place that used to have a big Tiki out front but I think it got stolen.

http://www.lalajava.com

Kalakua24, definitely keep an eye on the thread mentioned, we frequently have something going on lately!

You'll notice the great Waitiki event this week! (I've got two gigs that day so i can't go) but it's sure to be smokin'!

Eventually you'll get to meet everyone, the North East Tiki scene is getting more and more happening every day!

Granite, I think the only tiki at Lalajava was the tiki out front. Now that it's gone, there's no reason to drive down rte. 9 let alone go in there. It's just an overpriced coffee house with even more overpriced muffins far as I can 'member.

Beth, I dunno where the packrats are. I've been questing for stuff for months now. The only lady who was sure she had photos was a white lady. The Chinese who own all these places either a) are very unsentimental about the past or b) don't wanna give their secrets to this haole.

Pages: 1 10 replies