Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Casting a big Tiki

Pages: 1 10 replies

Any of TC's sculptors had any success casting/ making a mold of a large, full round Tiki from wood? Can it even be done?

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2007 2:40 AM

Can it be done? Yes. Is it a hell of a lot of work? Yes. I'd suggest google fibreglass molding and see what you turn up. My guess would be make a big ass 2 piece mold,have the seams at the side. It's the kind of thing where'll you want to make a few to recover your time/costs.

W

How big is large ?

[ Edited by: wplugger 2007-11-14 04:27 ]

Hi Hewey, Good idea, found a site called http://www.wyomingnetwork.com/sculpture/store.html
That has a mold making video for $48.00... that's two hours long. Thinking I might get it.... My Idea IS to make quite a few and sell to local garden art stores...
Wplugger, here's some pix... He's about six foot tall and 10 inches diameter made from palm log. Not finished yet....

Yes, it can be done, it's a lot of work, I made a 2 piece mold out of RTV silicone of a 4 foot tall by 12 inch round Tiki, I make the Tiki one half at a time and glass together, depending on if your looking to make a solid casting or hollow will depend on what type of mold you will need, here is a pic of my Tiki I made and the mold, I use it as a speaker cover, Hope this Helps, let me know if you need any other info. Later John

Thanx John!, I'm having computer probs, I'll get with you asap!

[ Edited by: Freddimon 2007-12-13 15:00 ]

Again, Thanx John!
I couldn't see what I was printing on my computer screen for a few.... until after I shut R down. Looks like you've done what I want to do! Hell yes I want more info! (I forgot to click the notify on thread response button, so I would have gotten with you sooner!)

T

On 2007-11-14 07:59, Freddimon wrote:
Hi Hewey, Good idea, found a site called http://www.wyomingnetwork.com/sculpture/store.html
That has a mold making video for $48.00... that's two hours long. Thinking I might get it.... My Idea IS to make quite a few and sell to local garden art stores...
Wplugger, here's some pix... He's about six foot tall and 10 inches diameter made from palm log. Not finished yet....

Hey you 'Bastard' you release that Tiki ... you stinkin freak !!!!

OK, I blame the dangerously low blood-acohol level for this one..... When I read the title of this thread I had visions of Tiki's on the Casting couch saying "anything to get the part Mr Director....."

OK, try and get that vision out of your head without some serious Mai-Tai consumption.

TikiLaLe,
I can't release the big guy, he'll rape and pillage the suburban wasteland that surrounds him! I just wrestled him into the garage to keep him out of the snow. You should see him strapped to the work bench shelves now!
Chip and Andy,
I did try to sign him up with my agency, but they said he was acting a little too stiff at the audition...

T

On 2007-12-14 15:02, Freddimon wrote:
I did try to sign him up with my agency, but they said he was acting a little too stiff at the audition...

Booooo! :lol:

Nice carving, though. :wink:

Pages: 1 10 replies