Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What is the collective noun for Tikis?

Pages: 1 15 replies

TL

OK, new thought:

1 Tiki, 2 Tikis (I'm with Sven on this one); however:

What do we call a group (the so-called "collective") of Tikis?

e.g. (and there are also alternates):
Lions: Pride
Whales: Gam
Geese: Gaggle
Crows: Murder
Rhinoceri: Crash
Ravens: Unkindness
Rattlesnakes: Rhumba

Your turns now:

Tikis: ________________________?

Did you forget cattle - herd?

I would call it a "tiki mecca."

A friend of mine says it should be called....

A PARADISE.

On 2007-11-14 22:28, christiki295 wrote:
Did you forget cattle - herd?

I would call it a "tiki mecca."

Hmmm, this suggests a pretty good collection; maybe something like:
"... and along the wall behind the two Mikes at Tiki-Ti may be seen a Mecca of Tikis."

And carrying this to a ridiculous extreme:
Moslem pilgrims who have completed the great ritual pilgrimage may append the term "al-Hajj" to their names:
Is there a prescribed itinerary for tikiphiles that earn the honorific "al-Tiqq" to the end of one's name?

Or perhaps you had in mind the declarative:
"Oceanic Arts is truly a Mecca of Tikis?"

A warehouse.

M'kay, m'kay

Tikis are like trees or bamboo in some ways.
So you could have a grove of tikis, or an orchard.

On 2007-11-15 06:35, The Gnomon wrote:
A warehouse.

. . .
Tikis are like trees or bamboo in some ways.
So you could have a grove of tikis, or an orchard.

A collection of tikis.

A "murder" of crows...

A litter of Tikis? I like a grove of Tikis...that's kinda like my house. How about "A Flock of Tikis", ...at least as a name for an 80s Tiki Devolution Revival Band...(?!)

Every since the 1993 book "An Exaltation of Larks!" I've been a huge fan of terms of venery. (Sometimes referred to tongue-in-cheek as "venereal terms.")

Being s former juggling street performer my favorite was always "A neverthriving of jugglers."

I'm not going to try to coin a new one here — although admittedly a fun parlor game that I have played upon many an occasion — but instead suggest a traditional one that I think works elegantly.

"A stand of tikis." It conveys what tikis do and harkens back to the fact that they are (traditionally) made of wood which links back to "a stand of trees" which has long been in usage.

Also, Stand of Tikis would make a cool name for a band.

• SV

If there are many of them, the proper term is . . .

. . . a Tiki Tsunami.

I found this place Friday night, its called the Tiki Garden.

a gaggle of tikis.

or for the common man, a whole shit load.
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-11-18 08:57, serious voodoo wrote:
"A stand of tikis."

When I coughed up "grove" I had also thought about a "stand" because bamboo is a kind of grass and formations of grass are called stands. But I abandoned that idea onnacounta it sounds like a popsicle stand (stand of popsicles) or a hot dog stand (stand of hot dogs). Of course, if you wanna have a roadside tiki stand, I'm in.

A

Many people are not aware of this, but there already is a proper term, "kohalacharms". Here's an example used correctly in a sentence...

"Holy cow, I was at an estate sale last weekend and the house had a basement bar with a whole kohalacharms of tikis!"

There are also several other colloquial terms used regionally, that are too numerous to list here (for example, Chicago has a few, northern and southern Cal have many, Texas has one, the southeast has a few).

-Randy

J

Home sweet home

I would offer:

"A Show of Tikis"

(Or would fall in line behind Serious Voodoo's "A Stand of Tikis" - both indicitive of pride, power, and impressive presentation...)

SOK

Pages: 1 15 replies