Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotic Sounds of Tiki Gardens CD question...

Pages: 1 8 replies

P

Just wondering if anyone here has listened to the Exotic Sounds of Tiki Gardens CD and if so what they thought about it. Just curious:D

T

No, I have not heard it, PoiBoy, but I think you have the best Tiki Central name I have seen yet!

Its an interesting foray into an audio window of Tiki Gardens. Martin Denny it ain't, but it does help flesh out what Tiki Gardens was all about.

It does have a great piano them, with obligatory seagull calls and waves crashing in the background.

The quaint southern drawl inviting you to the ceremony, and encouraging you to try the terryaki steak is seeminlgy out of place in polynesia, but fits in perfectly in 1960's Florida roadside Americana!

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

F

People seemed to have expected an Exotica album, which its not. (or not a good one at least)

its more of an aural version of the kitschy feast for the senses that was Tiki Gardens.. so much more than mere Exotica.

Opinions on the Tiki Gardens LP are, to say the least, divided.

While some see this as being a work of genius that can only be enjoyed by the chosen few, others see it being a rather dreadful collection of organ riffs whose saving grace is the deadpan narrative.

It's worth a listen for the chuckle value alone, but the seemingly endless organ sound sends most people running for the door. Perhaps if you like this sort of stuff:
you'll appreciate it more than those expecting either an Exotica LP or
(like me) a spoken word album with a few Hawaiian guitars in the background.

Trader Woody

P

Thank you, jab, for the compliment on the name. :) And thanks to everyone else for their opinions...it sounds just odd enough to check out!

[ Edited by: PoiBoy on 2003-02-12 13:59 ]

I'm a local yokel down here in Florida - grew up 15 minutes from Tiki Gardens - and I've got a newly crafted CD of the Tiki Gardens LP.

It's a hoot, for sure. Basically, it's a long commerical on vinyl. For me, the hoot-iest part is the several minutes of well-recorded surf-breaking-on-shore (instereo, no less!) All is tranquil and you're drifting off ... and then the still is shattered by the cry of what can only be one of the damned ubiquitous Florida seagulls. Like I imagine New Yorks pigeons are regarded by New Yorkers, they are annoying and noisy pests to us locals but are, now I realize, a deeply ingrained part of my Florida-bred psyche. Gotta admit is pretty funny to go to the beach and see a tourist feeding the seagulls and then within minutes getting receiving a quite return on their charitable investment. Seagulls' stomachs are always full and if they eat something new ... well ... something's gotta make room, y'see. Watch the Canadians run for cover! Teehee.

Tiki Gardens in general holds a special place in my heart because it is SO quintessentially Floridian, namely (and I say this with affection) like most things Floridian, it happened ten years (or so) after the rest of the nation had moved on and it's a delightfully skewed misinterpretation of Polynesian Pop Culture, which in itself was a misinterpretation of the original Oceanic cultures. Like a conundrum within a puzzle within a riddle ...

"like most things Floridian, it happened ten years (or so) after the rest of the nation had moved on "

HAHA thats a classic- couldn't be more true.

They just built a "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" in Melbourne Beach, and people are acting like it's the latest thing

T

are always full and if they eat something new ... well ... something's gotta make room, y'see. Watch the Canadians run for cover! Teehee.

I dunno what kind of Canadians you have in Dunedin that have never seen seagulls, but they sure aren't from Toronto, where we affectionatley call the birds 'shithawks'...

I recall being in San Francisco when I was about 19 or so, and as we drove out to look at some crazy flooding that had happened, a Canada Goose touched down and started paddling around.. my US friends started taking photos and acting like it was the 2nd coming... and I'm like "JAYSUS CHRIST ITS A FOOKING GOOSE, GET OVER IT!" of course here you cant walk 10 feet without tripping over one or slipping in it's green gosse goo!

Thus endeth the completely off-topic cross cultural bird appreciation converation.

Pages: 1 8 replies