Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Clementine Paddleford's Menu Collection

Pages: 1 6 replies

Clementine Paddeford was a food critic for a number of New York newspapers.

A collection of menus that she gathered over the years are now in the archives of Kansas State University. Several cool ones are posted online.

There are a couple of Tiki/Hawaiian menus, as well as some other Googie style menus from the 50s/60s.

LT

The Trader Vic's menu is beautiful!

Quite a treasure to have access to these works of art.

On 2007-11-19 23:06, LOL Tiki wrote:

Bare breasts! What happened to our society that today we can't show breasts like they did way back when?

[Self edit: I know what happened to society, and yes it's for the best... darn it! :) ]

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2007-11-20 02:49 ]

Interesting that an Egg Roll still costs $1 today (for the most part), but that $3 New York Steak is funny. Back then, at $3 the menu has to advise the customer that it's just one steak.

That is an impressive collection, especially, considering their pristine condition.

On 2007-11-20 02:47, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Quite a treasure to have access to these works of art.

Bare breasts! What happened to our society that today we can't show breasts like they did way back when?

[Self edit: I know what happened to society, and yes it's for the best... darn it! :) ]

And this same cover was later used for the Pago Pago in Tucson. I didn't know that it had originally been a Trader Vics menu cover.

Chris

Yep. Plus later TV did a colorized remake of the scene.

LT

On 2007-11-21 06:45, The Gnomon wrote:
Yep. Plus later TV did a colorized remake of the scene.

I like the original the best. It looks like a cruise ship or yacht was added to the color version.

Pages: 1 6 replies