Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kona Kai - Tarrytown NY anyone got info?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I wasn't sure where to post this I know after speaking to Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts the Kona Kai existed in New York just up the river from NYC in Tarrytown - it still comes up in the yellow pages and if you call its the Marriott number (makes sense). I have stopped by the building twice and have heard there is someone there that has been there for 25 + years and "should" know about the building but I have yet to speak with her. I also have not seen any trinkets or photos of the place. So let me know if anyone has any info or "things" and about it from it.
As of now its a Ruth Chris' Steakhouse and the building has been "updated".
Mahalo in advance!

I grew up in Hartsdale right down the parkway from there.

When the marriott opened in the late 70's, the Kona Kai was there. We went a few times while i was in High School, I even remeber winning a gift certificate from a radio station once, and I took my mom for dinner.

It was not very big, and it had a small facade treatment to the right of the hotel lobby. it was pretty ornate, and i can remember specifically requesting the peacock chair tables. I am sure that some where in the recesses of my parents house there are some artifacts...i will have to ask.

[ Edited by: inkylouise 2007-11-24 13:06 ]

Thanks Inky - I'm pretty close to the building itself but I can say theres nothing Ornate about it now. I plan to go visit again soon, just hoping to go armed with more than questions!

boink

Pages: 1 3 replies