Name:Da Big Kahuna
Type:restaurant
Street:2299 Kuhio Avenue
City:Waikiki
State:HI
Zip:96815
Phone:(808) 923-0033

Description:
Neo-Tiki Restaurant and Bar, located just behind the International Market Place.

It features Tiki, Moai, its own Tiki mug (currently out-of-stock) and Island-themed decor. It does not rival Tiki's Bar & Grill, or Holokai Grill in the amount of the investment or resulting luxury, yet it is a legitimate tiki bar. Purists may object to the sports on the TVs over the bar or the faux tiki torches.

The cuisine is reasonably priced, too.

L

On 2007-11-22 16:24, christiki295 wrote:

Purists may object to the sports on the TVs over the bar or the faux tiki torches.

or the faux tikis.
They are all spraypainted styrofoam.
but talk with most any tourn. they say,
aaah. THIS is what i come to Waikiki for! a REAL tiki bar.

malama ki'i kahiko

[ Edited by: lanikai 2007-12-05 16:12 ]

True, the capital investment was not there, yet a tiki experience was nonetheless created.
I do like the overall trend, however, at least represented by Tikis and Holikai - albeit same owner as well as the Thor Store, of bringing tiki back to Waikiki.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:24 ]

On 2007-12-05 16:10, lanikai wrote:

On 2007-11-22 16:24, christiki295 wrote:

Purists may object to the sports on the TVs over the bar or the faux tiki torches.

or the faux tikis.
They are all spraypainted styrofoam.
but talk with most any tourn. they say,
aaah. THIS is what i come to Waikiki for! a REAL tiki bar.

True, it is neo-tiki in decor. However, there is a large Ku also present.
Even though it might be too kitsch even for me, and that is saying something, I do think it is a legitimate tiki bar - and a bar - and one that some could find more "comfortable" or less intimidating than the others.

I

Is that the place with the large picture windows that are above head level as you are walking on the sidewalk? I'm remembering an impression of a place with dark blue walls.

Pages: 1 5 replies