Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Need a 4 week Big Island Rental Recomendation Max $4K

Pages: 1 5 replies

G

Please help

Looking to stay on the big island for 4-5 weeks next July and want a recomendation. There are so many rentals its mind boggling. Have three kids and would like to have stuff to do within walking distance

Thanks Ill take any help I can get on this.

Dave

While I can't recommend a particular place, I do recommend the Kona area, particularly if your are going to take a day trip to the Volcano and Place of Refuge.

T

I stayed at the Kona Tiki Hotel in Kailua-Kona for a week a few years ago and loved it. It's reasonably priced, every room has an ocean view, and there's a pool next to a lava rock sea wall where waves sometimes crash over the wall into the pool. The ground floor rooms have little patios while the upper rooms have lanais.

http://www.konatiki.com/

Aloha Dave,
If you could give a tad more info I will be glad to share what I know of the Big Island. For example how old are the kids and what type activities would everyone be interested in. Four to five weeks is a nice long trip and it's not called the Big Island for nothing so a rental car is a must for at least a portion of your trip. You may want to break your stay into two or three areas. For example two weeks in Kona and two in Hilo. Last time there I stayed south of Kona at Club Hokulia. Nice area that is not over run with tourist from the main land which by the way would include me. As for where and how to rent a place I will be happy to share a well known but seldom used resource that has worked great for me. Craigslist. Yep just go to Craigslist Hawaii then Big Island and then vacation rentals or housing for rent. You can get great deals many times directly from the owners and by pass the rental companies which take a cut. Course it will help to know what area you want to be in and how long. Most will take credit cards and most have pix of their places. You can also post what you are looking for and when your dates are, but be very specific as you don't want your email box to be flooded. Come to think of it maybe I should start new thread with the Craigslist tip. Molokai and Kauai are two of my favorite Islands and there are currently some great deals on rentals there.
It is an excellent time to go to the Islands as with a down economy you can really save on your lodging. Two to three thousand for the whole month should get you a very nice place, but you will have to do your homework. Once you have narrowed it down use Trip Adviser for reviews of the places you are considering. The reviewers are not always on agreement but they usually give a fair unbiased assessment. Most importantly, as I assume you are already doing, start planning your trip now! July will be here before you can blink.
Bob.

A

I second the advice of staying in multiple places (Kona side and Hilo side) and looking at the boards on tripadvisor.com. Also try vrbo.com for rentals. I also think that Waimea and Pahoa are cute areas.

I've always wanted to stay at Tiki Dug's place in Kona, but haven't been able to yet.

See:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12787&forum=12

Pages: 1 5 replies