Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Trailer / RV / Park / Camper Luvliness

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

C

Builtiki,

That's great! There are a couple other motorhomes in progess, Von Tiki comes to mind, I wonder how his is going

Send "before" pictures so we can dream with you, or dribble them out as you go, this can be a fine cheer leading squad for that effort.

Don't be a stranger with the questions if you need or are looking for anything in particular, have a list of live links for resources.

The "Trailer Trash" Hukilau starting to sound better and better.

I'll have to start working on a mug for that and Tacky Tiki will time to save up for a pull vehicle.

Joshua Tree Thanksgiving and Tiki Rally?

Bon Voyage on your adventure pimping out the Tiki ride!

Coruscate

C

Tack Tiki,

Hey, I'm pretty sure your Starliner weighs between 2,000 and 2,500 pounds.
So a little over a ton.
This makes it a fairly easy pull for a v8 anything.
You can quickly ruin a V6 not geared or engined to pull.
Are you getting a 1972 vehicle to match?
See a few links back for the "truck" of that vintage.

Coruscate

I originally thoght I would get a Ford F150 from the 70's to pull it. But gas is so expensive and it would get about 8mpg. That sucks! So, I will probably get a newer of the same, and just get a white one. It won't have the same effect, but I will get rid of my car and ride the Vespa in the dry weather and drive the truck in the wet. So I need something that doesn't guzzle gas like we all guzzle mai tais!

:drink:

Tacky

C

I understand completely.

I was considering the 1967 Ford F-150.

Here is my "dream car" for pulling my trailer.

A 1965 short wheelbase International Metro AM-150

Some day....some day... I will own one, glorify it, and it will pull Tiki.

Here is one of the most amazing restorations of one by n2wheelies:

That is awesome!!! Room for a Vespa in back!!! I can picture that totally tikified!!! Even a bar back there!!!

Or it could go stock, with hidden tiki interior....

Or it could be painted with a fictional tiki business a la Tikiyaki Egg Roll Co.!

Tacky

C

Tacky Tiki,

You are sooo on it.

I like the way you think.

Funny you should mention those details.

Here is the interior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottryder/602727023/in/photostream/

I saw a bigger trailer this week that would make a better Tiki trailer than any I've ever seen.

Must....resist.....buying.......driveway full......

Coruscate

Here are some pictures of the Tiki Den. Not quite done yet, but we're getting there.

Welcome to the subculture of a subculture!

So glad to see another Tiki Trailer fan/creator.

I love how that model is designed with big windows all around.

Marvelous job shifting it to trailer with pizazz.

The Huila Kahua Hukilau (wheeled camp potluck, if someone has better skills at Hawaiian, please improve this name)as a possible Tiki Trailer Trash Camp-O-ree.

So far I think there are 5 or 6 Tiki Trailer owners on Tiki Central and about a dozen in California.

Mendocino coast in October is rather nice, any interest?

Still waiting to see what Builtiki, MakeDaMug (aka Wilma's owner) and VonTiki have in store for us.

Coruscate

[ Edited by: coruscate 2009-09-14 16:53 ]

[ Edited by: coruscate 2009-09-15 22:37 ]

The Tiki Den....1971 Aristocrat Lowliner??? When the top picture started loading I thought somehow someone was posting a picture of my trailer!! I have the adhesive aluminum tiles too, but just as a backsplash. I also have yellow walls in the kitchen..the original wallpaper was damaged. Loud stripes...very retro, but two areas were damaged and I really couldn't save it and make it look right. So it's still in the cabinets.

My Starliner has the newer tailights. There is another Aristocrat down the street-I think it's also a lowliner. Wait....the blue and gold plates started in 72. Did the Lowliners keep the pre-72 tailights? Or is yours an early 72 model? Mine is an October 72 model. Blue and gold plate. Anyway, there used to be 3 Aristocrats within about 3 blocks here. Kinda strange....

I love the exterior paint job on the Tiki Den....I added a wider gold stripe on the side of mine. The woodgrain strip was really peeling, so I removed it and painted a more retro style wider stripe. If I could get the pictures off the dang camera, I'd post them so you could see it! You may have to settle for some BlackBerry photos!

Tacky

I'd love to see pictures! Our Aristocrat is a 1968. The original plate was lost by the second owner, so it has a 70's replacement. The cabinet kitchen area was trashed and I replaced it with, what else? Teak. Someone had replaced the wedding cake lights, so we just got that done. We have the foam for the dinette, but haven't covered them yet. My father in law just took it out but before he went, he put in an inverter so he can make coffee on battery power.

On 2009-09-03 14:00, coruscate wrote:
I understand completely.

I was considering the 1967 Ford F-150.

Here is my "dream car" for pulling my trailer.

A 1965 short wheelbase International Metro AM-150

Some day....some day... I will own one, glorify it, and it will pull Tiki.

Here is one of the most amazing restorations of one by n2wheelies:

im flattered. if i may share the inside

one more from jimmy buffet show

perhaps more on par with this very cool site

Fantastic!
Yep, you're rig is clearly a work of art.
Thanks for sharing the extra interior shots.
Does the "galaxy" still light up in the top?
By the way, be careful of referring to the "he who shall not be named" concert.
It gets some people's sarongs in bunch 'round here.
Glad you are out having a blast in it!
The AM-150 or LM-122 short wheel base are my favorite.
Rob P. (from OldIHC and Binder Planet)down near you has one of the nicest upgrades of the mechanical parts of the Springfield Model with the medium wheel base with modern wheels and transmission and an electric fan, and he adapted seats from a late model Lincoln Navigator (seat belt is built into the seat) to work with the Metro seat post system.
I've seen so many good restore-able Metro Vans lately, but property taxes get paid first in 2 months, so looks like I'll miss out.
Out of them all though, I like the care you took, fantastic.
I remember you "selling" it on EBay, did you get the attention you wanted for it?
I could totally see it pulling an Airstream Bambi with full Retro Atomic-Tiki styling.
Some Metros have the extended bumper in the back, perfect for the Vespa stow and go idea described above.
A complete road trip package.
Thanks for adding your pics to the thread!!
Cheers!

Coruscate

T

A funky, space-age design at the Tokyo Auto Show
that could make an interesting tiki-mobile:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=1101451#5

so this is my rig, not so much tiki per say, but super 60's! the interior is pretty much mint aside of a few minor things. we keep shit o.g. 60's if possible, or we would have gone tiki mad! notice how every shot is almost thee same? just in different spots!

heres some photos that were taken at oasis(not by me) of some models inside my '66 streamline!! dont know these gals, they was there when i gots back from za pool!

and one day i hope to do this!!!!

A
V<
http://www.davewarshaw.com

[ Edited by: sleestak 2009-11-15 10:20 ]

[ Edited by: sleestak 2009-11-15 10:21 ]

[ Edited by: sleestak 2009-11-15 10:22 ]

[ Edited by: sleestak 2009-11-15 10:35 ]

Coruscate,

Really glad you got this post going. Love the work you have done on the awning.

I went through round 2 of the Mo-Tiki remodel.

Got some bamboo paneling and put it in the bedroom to cover more of the brown stuff.

Also got a few more pictures for the bedroom walls

A United Airlines painting from Hawaii

A blueprint from the Trade Winds in Oxnard from Bongo Fury

Upgraded the bathroom with bamboo paneling and trim and put some stuff on the vanity door.

Added this nice shield Tiki from Lake Surfer to the hallway.

Got some Coco Joes frames for pics.

Bamboo trim for the new flatscreen (for Swanky's upcoming dvd showing postcards with music).

A new bamboo rug (these are great, just shake um out)

Even got a new mascot Mr. Mo-Tiki Monkey

A couple more folks for the dashboard.

Not much work on the outside, just a Tiki bottle opener

and some stickers from Tiki Oasis.

The work s NEVER done

DC

C

Dustycajun,

Wow that is coming together nicely!

A mobile machine of good mood I'm sure, very fun, with lots of layers and textures!

It made me think what it would be like to make an overhead lamp out of one of the flourescent RV task lights under the cupboards by hanging a row of jumbo drink umbrellas upside down in a row of say 10x20 to create a cool shade.

Fantastic all the way around.

Sleestak, I think the only thing I could model in my trailer is the need for a pair of suspenders, some nice wahine in da winnebago going on.

Looking forward to seeing more!

coruscate

[ Edited by: coruscate 2009-12-03 13:57 ]

Hey, weren't there 4 or five mobile Tiki mobiles in assembly mode over the past year?
If you have a picture of your motorhome, trailer, camp-thing, etc. I'd love to see it.

Here's a Burning Man mobile, the Shipwreck Tiki Lounge.

I'd post a picture if I can get Ben's permission, until then gaze upon the creativity here: http://www.shipwrecktikilounge.com/index.html

My fave pic is from Sand by the Ton - the bar rules stating, at the very bottom: no republicans! What a HOOT!

We've been working our way through the alphabet of onesie outfits for our new little one. Today was the first day to wear the "T is for Tiki" outfit. So we retired to the luxury of the Tiki-Lander for a little photo showing off the new duds.

Ke nono au, e kala mua mai, i keia manawa ho'i.

[ Edited by: coruscate 2011-03-29 20:34 ]

I'm new here, but we've been tikiphiles for a few years now. My husband is remodeling the bathroom in a tiki theme, and just recently bought a 76 GMC motorhome. So we don't actually have possession of it yet, it needs some frame work, but the inside is in decent 70's shape, but we plan to add tiki elements. Some before images:

Curtains are all mismatched, but the one hawaiian style print is a route 66, so we may move that to the bathroom

This is the print on the walls; this is inside the bar cabinet. It seems like it could go in a tiki theme.

Got a few more great Tiki items from Buzzy to accentuate the Mo Tiki at the ITMP sale.

DC

Here are a few pics of the interior our 1970 VW Camper

C

A South Pacific themed trailer up for sale.
Not mine, don't know the person, but the remodel looks well done.

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/5480242034.html

O

That would be perfect for the Mojave Oasis event. I love it, too bad I don't own a vehicle capable of towing it.

On 2016-03-07 09:05, coruscate wrote:
A South Pacific themed trailer up for sale.
Not mine, don't know the person, but the remodel looks well done.

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/5480242034.html

Pages: 1 2 72 replies