Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents: Tiki Taix XXXIX Friday November 30th!!

Pages: 1 10 replies

Friday November 30th, 2007 10PM No Cover

We wish you a Mele Kalikimaka and a Happy New Year at Tiki Taix XXXIX !!

Join Ali Lexa as he returns to Tiki Taix to play his unique style of Bebop Ukulele Jazz. Ali is best known as the host of his own Ukulele Spotlight show on LA radio station KPFK which features interviews of ukulele players from around the world. He's also the creative force behind his group Lexotica and recently produced LA's biggest ukulele showcase of 2007 at the Japanese American National Museum in Downtown LA.

ALSO

King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis will perform tracks from their recently released live CD entitled "The London Luau Presents King Kukulele And The Friki Tikis Live At Trader Vic's". Joining the King, Riki Kon Tiki, and Malahini Marc will be our featured guest of the evening Ali Lexa who will be given a new name for the night: Ala Moana Ali.

AND

Cinematic Tiki Treasure! A rare clip of tiki in an obscure 1974 film that is rarely if ever shown publicly. Take a look at the apartment that strikes fear in the hearts of those that dare enter!

PLUS

Bill "Tappy" Tapia who has performed many times at Tiki Taix in the past was recently honored at the Warner Grand Theatre in San Pedro, California commemorating his upcoming 100th Birthday. To honor Bill at his big Centennial Birthday celebration King Kukulele wrote and performed a personalized birthday song for Tappy and will perform this song again for the friends at Tiki Taix that weren't able to make it to the big birthday bash in San Pedro.

ALSO

For years and years going back to the earliest beginnings of the Tiki Oasis people have been asking about the King Kukulele LOOK. After many years of searching, the original inspiration has been unearthed and can be shared with those present at Tiki Taix. On February 27th, 1967, a television sitcom aired an episode featuring a wood carving which eventually 29 years later influenced the birth of King Kukulele. Let's take a look!

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 12:18 AM

Who is King Kukulele?

Sorry King I cannot make it,
I am going to the SF bay area and leaving early the next morning.
Need to get lots of rest.
:(
so No tiki ti or Pioneer either.
well the ti is closed anyways.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-11-27 09:35 ]

Sounds like fun. Will try to make this one.

Alright GiantRobotTiki, we'll be looking you... we won't be looking for Big Tiki Dude and hopefully Grog will stop by and find out who the King is.

A

In,
Mahalo,
Al

A

Yes yes! I will try to make it, even if I go alone.

Hello everyone!

C
Chub posted on Fri, Nov 30, 2007 12:12 AM

Looks like the girlfriend and I are going to make it.

The rain's clearing up here on the beautiful island of Long Beach! Looks like a trip to Taix this evening is in order!!!

P

I'm in. Maybe I'll even get there a little early and have dinner this time.

I'm starving and the ahi tuna is calling my name. I'm going to get there a bit early to scarf.

Pages: 1 10 replies