Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki's by Rocker ... My first effort in progress.

Pages: 1 7 replies

First a little background on this hunk of wood - essentially it was salvaged from a huge pine tree on the property next to ours. This particular hunk has sat in the rain, snow and all manner of weather for two years before I decided to use it as a test piece. Suffice to say it was soggy and soft in places and rotten in others ... I started carving it wet and learned all kinds of things about tricky wood condition along the way. At this stage it's heading into the stain and finish part of it's incarnation - the block has had quite a bit of time to dry out now and is not cracking to any great degree which is good. I used hand tools for 90% of it.

The size of the wood determined what I wanted to carve ... my take on the well trodden path of the Moai. Thanks for looking, any and all comments most welcome and I'll post more pics when it's finished.

Best, Rocker.

[ Edited by: Tikirocker 2007-11-28 04:30 ]

S

Tikirocker Welcome! Thats a great firt tiki you sould be mighty
proud of it. It looks great!

Thanks Seek!

Your kind words are greatly appreciated - that Tiki had quite a few knots I had to battle with also - you can see the remnants in the grain. Looking forward to finishing and looking to the next project.

B

Excellent stuff TikiRocker, your Moai is Very Respectable. I Love the Mouth, how it nis built up and shaped,,Excellent and the Nose is very proud and strong. Keep up the great work and Welcome to TC!

Hey Benzart!

Coming from you those words are a great encouragement, many thanks! I recently met up with Marcus on the Gold Coast and had a day looking at his recent Tiki Totem etc and chatting all things Tiki and Kustom Kulture. Between yourself and Mr Thorn I have two great wells from which to draw inspiration.

Best regards, Rocker.

[ Edited by: Tikirocker 2007-11-29 01:33 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 29, 2007 4:53 AM

Looks great! Nice and deep, great style, nice size! So when can I come up for lessons? :lol: December is a write off month, but Im looking to have a tiki get together in the new year :D :D

Hey Hewey!

Thanks mate, much appreciated! Actually I'll likely be moving much further down the Mountains so that will make getting together an easier prospect - as long as you are looking to stay in your current area also that is! :)

We may have just found a new pad so the move will likely be in the next couple of weeks, don't ya just love packing, cleaning and moving? :( Hopefully the next Tiki night at yours will be after our shift. Hope your own house hunt goes well too! :)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 29, 2007 4:17 PM

On 2007-11-29 06:57, Tikirocker wrote:
Thanks mate, much appreciated! Actually I'll likely be moving much further down the Mountains so that will make getting together an easier prospect - as long as you are looking to stay in your current area also that is! :)

We may have just found a new pad so the move will likely be in the next couple of weeks, don't ya just love packing, cleaning and moving? :( Hopefully the next Tiki night at yours will be after our shift. Hope your own house hunt goes well too! :)

Good luck with the move. We’ll be doing it in late January ourselves. Already got a place in Cambridge Park – it’s my brothers place (who’s moving to Newcastle to follow work). He wants to finish off the reno work they’ve started, then we’ll move in and rent it from him.

Not sure when the next tiki night will be. We’re booked out for pretty much all of December (multiple family birthdays, Christmas parties etc). And then January we’ll be getting to move…

Pages: 1 7 replies