Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

London - Mugs n' masks

Pages: 1 5 replies

Mimi Fifi at 27 Pembridge Road (Notting Hill Gate) is now selling a variety of Tiki mugs. The selection isn't too great and expensive to boot. 'Trader Dutch' mugs are £12.50 and those cheap mugs you find in 4 packs for about $12 per pack are £10 per mug.
Still, if you're desperate....

Far more interesting is a new shop that has opened up just a couple of shops down which
sells artifacts from around the world. No Tikis, but a decent selection of Sepik masks, carvings and shields. Once again they are expensive, but it's like a little Pitt Rivers Museum with the items for sale.

Trader Woody

this past sunday, i was actually able to purchase a little maori/new zealand tiki souvenir at brick lane for a couple of quid.

& there's tons of mid-century danish/swedish design furniture in that area too.

It wasn't a little mini scoop for bailing out canoe water, was it? I was given a price of £5, but didn't go for it a couple of months ago! He had something else Maori as well, but it looked a little battle-worn. It was a little antique place next to a large warehouse full of little stalls, right?

Trader Woody

On 2003-02-12 09:06, Trader Woody wrote:
It wasn't a little mini scoop for bailing out canoe water, was it? I was given a price of £5 ... It was a little antique place next to a large warehouse full of little stalls, right?

Trader Woody

that's hilarious! YES! the very little mini scoop! i sort of just nonchalantly asked 'how much you want for this thing?' to which the seller responded "3 quid". i pulled 2 & some odd coins (approximately 2.50) out of my pocket, "will you take this?" he took the money.

... i think the stall was on cheshire street.

nice one,
tiki chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-02-12 09:17 ]

That's incredible!
I've only been there about once in the past couple of years, and saw the little scoop sometime before Christmas (November?). I must have paved the way to a cheaper deal for you by rejecting his £5 asking price!

Glad it's gone to a good home!!

Trader Woody

On 2003-02-12 09:35, Trader Woody wrote:
I must have paved the way to a cheaper deal for you by rejecting his £5 asking price!

so it seems! thanks. i don't think i would have paid £5 for it either.

one of our friends that was w/ us on sunday was astounded that i had such a knack for finding tikis. it did sort of seem that i just made a b-line for it w/out even seeing it.

later,
chris

Pages: 1 5 replies