Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Is anyone else on strike around here...?

Pages: 1 24 replies

Just curious if there are any other Guild members among the Ohana. Post or PM me, and maybe we can discuss back-to-it strageties over the holidays.
SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-01-31 15:34 ]

I am in the Graphics Arts Guild and I am showing my solidarity by not creating any original works of art.

It's not much, but any support is good support. (right?)

Of course I'm pleased to hear that certain GAG artists are willing to express their show of support to the WGA. (After all, when one is formally forbidden to carry on with one's professional activities, it's good to hear from others who wish to convey their goodwill.)

However, this thread was meant to inquire if there are other WGA members among the Ohana (not GAG artists), who might like to exchange PMs during the current strike.

Meanwhile, C & A, by all means please carry on with your creative activities. A show of Solidarity doesn't mean you should deprive the community, or yourselves, of continued creative expression. In fact, it's rather distressing to hear that the strike has had this effect on you.

Please keep up your creative work, especially your 'original' creative work, as this in no way would do harm to the WGA's efforts, and indeed helps keep the creative spark alive for all of us in general. I'm still writing, and indeed many if not most WGA members are, we just can't pitch anything, or accept any payment for deals we may have labored to put in place, virtually anywhere in the industry. Yet hopefully the literary work we continue to do will someday be justly compensated in the New Media age (right now, Nothing-At-All for full downloads is a bit low for what goes into the work, and a bleak future prospect as well).

In any case, as you are GAG artists, you're not under the same professional restrictions that some of the literary artists I had hoped to reach out to on this forum may be, and so, while I thank you with all the sincerity you merit for your kind reply, I'll hope you won't let this time of difficulty further interfere with your creative life.

SOK

For those among the community who may be genuinely interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jCxk

"Don't let it be forgot,

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-12-04 12:22 ]

P
pablus posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2007 7:06 PM

My business partner is in The Guild.
Sheesh.

The restrictions on even discussing projects are truly counterproductive to a cat like me who is used to flinging ideas around like lime peels on luau night.

No wonder he split Hollywood for Ohio.

I get the drift of the strike but the additional restrictions are kind of "studio-esque" if you ask me.
But you didn't - so I have to stop typing now.

Hey, P, tell your partner we could use him back here in The Lines. Spent yesterday picketing Paramount in the rain. Brrrr. At least nobody turned the firehoses on us (they didn't have to).

As for "studio-esque", well, that's the name of the game here, man. Join the league, play by the rules.

But the DGA deal could offer a ray of hope. The AMPTP has come back to informally talk about coming back to the table to formally talk, so, we're all hoping. They better get jiggy, though, 'cause the SAG contract talks are looming too, and the Actors are even more militant than we are.

Any Ohana interested, visit http://www.wga.org for the latest.

Onion!

SOK

P

Should be a nice settlement.
Also, my partner tells me they (the studios) cleared the shelves of a lot of old projects and will be re-upping when the strike ends.

Hey - get one of our songs in a movie and I'll cut you in for a percentage.
Just write it into the script. Everybody loves a fat man with a uke. :wink:

On 2008-01-24 11:02, pablus wrote:
Everybody loves a fat man with a uke. :wink:

I've lost sleep over your performances.

Yikes.

Well, okay, but you uke'ee players are trouble. (Last time I saw Bill Tapia, a bar fight broke out while he was blithly playing "Crazy".)

I'm working on adapting the mighty unbelievable epic, "Odin Hyebahl's FABU-FABU" into a film project (from its present narrative at YoYo Island*), and have been thinking of putting a musical number somewhere in the middle of it. Hope and Crosby still haven't returned any calls, so there's a fair chance we can get you in. Maybe you've got something on YouTube? (and if so, let's get it on YoYo's Tiki-Tube in the meanwhile, yes?)

Can you do bird sounds too? **

SOK

(* http://www.yoyoisland.com/fabufabu.htm DSL-or-+, see Viewing Guide)
(** If so, we should definitely get The Crazed Mugs a shout-out at YoYo's Links Lagoon...)

"Don't let it be forgot,

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-01-24 11:50 ]

.... but any support is good support. (right?)

...tell that to the engineers that used metal support plates that were 1/2 the thickness they were supposed to be causing 13 deaths on the bridge that collapsed last year in minneapolis....

(psssst!!! ..i'm trying to be humorous....it's the best i can do right now as my writers are on strike and i have no new material to work with)

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-01-24 15:10 ]

TIPSY make a deal with your writers. make it fast ,make it now . you need'm

'Pretty much says it right there, doesn't it?

The Guild just announced more interim deals yesterday, with Lionsgate and Marvel Studios, so Tipsy, I'm sure they'll be happy to accomodate you. More of this spirit, and maybe we won't need to wait for the AMPTP to come back to the table at all... :)

(Meanwhile, for those who are topped-off on Rerunality TV, and may be looking for a courageous alternative to traditional forms of brain liquification, YoYo Island should rise on time today as usual, servers permitting. Oooo.)

"Don't let it be forgot,

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-01-25 09:20 ]

B

Hope it all works out for ya SOK.

And I think its funny you called Chip a Gag Artist. must be some performance art stuff..... lol

Isn't "GAG" a proper acronym for the "Graphic Arts Guild"...?

Mahalo for the solidarnosc, BG! Hopeful murmurs abound around the current (blacked-out) proto-talks. The latest is, RKO has signed an interim deal too (Woo-Hoo!), which makes over a dozen production entities going around the AMPTP to get their people back to work.

Meanwhile, it's on-with-the-show here at Cosmic Studios in the heart of Beautiful Mid-Town NOHO, where we're still showrunnin' YoYo Island (among our other New Media forays), so Interested Parties are welcome to send their ukulele (and bird call) mp3's right along! (unless they've already dropped a net over you...) We'll run the paperwork through the DealMemo-0-Matic, and who knows what heights we'll hit?

:wink:

O

Is this a gag?

About the "uke and bird calls mp3's"? Heck no, Timo! I build new sound-beds for each of YoYo's enviroments, and have new projects in the pipeline for '08, so when Pablus made the pitch I'm open to the notion. Still no word back, though, about the bird calls(*), but I didn't intend to wander too far off topic here.

As for post-strike activities (and I'm pretty sure we're coming to an end of The Troubles fairly soon), well, I'm very excited that the whole issue has dramatically focused attention on the fact that the web is where entertainment is gonna be at in the fast-approaching future, and that's why I'm up to what I'm up to there, uh, here, uh..., where I'm doing my thing on it.

Also, Hope and Crosby still haven't returned any calls, so this year's new 'musical project' is still pretty much wide open... :wink:

(* How's your Kookaburra call, mate?)

Sean Young showed you writers some support in her own way last night at the DGA awards. She started heckling and yelling and ended up being forcibly removed by security. Still spunky all these years after Blade Runner. Hope the strike is over for you soon SOK. We're all rooting for you.
"Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

"Is it artificial?"

"Of course."

Ah, Sean Young... Talk about Beauty and the Beast...

"You ever take that test yourself, Mr. Deckard?"

Thanks Timo :wink:

On 2008-01-28 13:12, Bargoyle wrote:
...And I think its funny you called Chip a Gag Artist. must be some performance art stuff..... lol

Goober!

TL

On 2008-01-29 15:12, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
"Is it artificial?"

"Of course."

Ah, Sean Young... Talk about Beauty and the Beast...

"You ever take that test yourself, Mr. Deckard?"

Thanks Timo :wink:

...and it took how many days practice trying for "owl" as a single syllable?

P
pablus posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 7:19 PM

I'll send you some stuff next week.

Hey cool, mon! I'll look forward to it. :)

Better hurry, though, 'cause it's lookin' like The Troubles may be coming to an end, and my agent will start needling me to get back to work. (Still, YoYo's a big island, so he'll have to find me first...)

Let's luau!

"Don't let it be forgot,

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-02-04 08:52 ]

I'm glad the strike is over and everyone is back to work but I think I have Stockholm Syndrome and now enjoy reality shows and amature hour programs. But I hope there are some tiki central people on the inside of Hollywood pushing the agenda with mugs strategically place as props.

WICHTOREE...!

Yeah, we're all glad the Strike is history. Rough on everybody, but things wrapped up pretty quickly once the AMPTP came back to the table.

True, the so-called "Reality" shows may be a larger presence now, and perhaps into the future, but I'm pretty confident that good storytelling will always be in demand. A lot of favorite shows will be back in the pipeline this month, and the Oscars will go forward as a celebration rather than a dismal press conference, and that's as good an excuse to fire up the Weber as any!

I fear this is gonna cut into my goof off time at TC though (not to mention my "Hawaii 5.0" re-run watching...), as I'll now have to resume the carrot-n-stick tactics with my agent, and hit the phones to track down those masochistic pitch meetings (yak-yak-yak, and I'm the only one in the room not on the clock). Still, it's been a good opportunity to discover the (lurking) Guild members here at TC, and make some new friends.

It's been one heckuva fight, but this time we won't get skinned so badly when nascent technology becomes the mainstream, and video stores all go the way of Tower Records (and that's coming soon enough...) Even so, I'm saving my picket sign, just in case, until our SAG brothers and sisters win the same considerations this Summer, as we all cross the threshold together into a Brave New Media World...

Mahalo nui to everyone who wished this struggle well, and the itch-of-a-thousand-fleas to that guy who gave me the finger and nearly ran me down at Warner Bros. :)

Cheers out

"Don't let it be forgot,
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-02-13 14:11 ]

Pages: 1 24 replies