Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What is this??

Pages: 1 21 replies

I got this over a year ago on Ebay and have always wondered what it was. I have tried to go a Google search for "Tildon Ware" and i have had no luck.
I would like to know if any of you know what this is, I was uploading my collection on Ogga-Mooga last night and got stumped when I got to this piece.
thanks!

UT

Nice find! Never heard of the maker before. Maybe a hobby piece or maybe not. I have seen ashtray sets in the same concept but never in the tiki design. You would set it out on the table and folks would grab a small ashtray when needed. Not sure if that's what you have there but that would be my guess.

I had something similar they are coasters to the best of my knowledge. Hope this Helps!!

MN

Dipping sauce dishes? Wasabi? Soy sauce? Hot mustard? Sriracha?

I have a two-faced tiki cup marked Tildon Ware Canada. You can see it on my tiki mug website here (top of the page).

Mine doesn't have any markings, typical of home jobs. Yours was probably for condiments, or used as as trays.

See it here on Ooga-Mooga

Hi~ These are a couple of recent thrift store finds, does anyone know what origin or style of Tiki these might be? The mask is made of heavy dark wood, and the little guy is made of light wood with some sort of a metal holder on top of his head. Thanks! ~Moai_Mama

I don't know where the tiki is from but the top piece(s) are Jamaican tourist carvings. The tiki appears to be a lamp or maybe a table lighter.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-12-30 10:19 ]

On 2007-12-08 14:03, frankensteinsbride1313 wrote:
I got this over a year ago on Ebay and have always wondered what it was. I have tried to go a Google search for "Tildon Ware" and i have had no luck.
I would like to know if any of you know what this is, I was uploading my collection on Ogga-Mooga last night and got stumped when I got to this piece.

I have one of these I picked up last year. Mine's painted in various colors. I think they are ash trays.

Mr. LDT

K

I would guess that they are individual soy sauce dipping trays.

The little guy with the metal head piece looks almost exactly like a nut cracker I once had. You would put the nut of choice on his head and hit it with a little hand carved hammer. He sat in a nice wooden bowl that the nuts and empty shells would go in. Wish I still had it but was purloined many years ago by someone renting one of my digs.

M

Thanks, Bonefishbob! That could very well be what it is. I thought maybe it used to be a lighter, but there isn't any type of storage tank for lighter fuel. Maybe I'll set him in the nut bowl... next to my nude Naughty Nellie Nutcracker! ;->

On 2008-01-03 16:11, Moai_Mama wrote:
Thanks, Bonefishbob! That could very well be what it is. I thought maybe it used to be a lighter, but there isn't any type of storage tank for lighter fuel. Maybe I'll set him in the nut bowl... next to my nude Naughty Nellie Nutcracker! ;->

Well I'll be! I know where one of these nut crackers is sitting in an antique store. Very nutty! I would buy it, but Mrs. Bungalow would not be pleased.

M

Mrs. Bungalow might just like it! I'm a Gal and I think my Girly nutcracker is a mighty nifty conversation starter. Plus, she's nice and chubby compared to today's Hollywood stick-figure ladies.

U

Does anyone know where this type of Tiki comes from? It's made of bone. Thanx

M

Anyone know what this might be and/or it's origin? It's vintage, about 15" diameter including the heavy wood frame, and feels like it might be some sort of embossed leather. I found it at the Salvation Army thrift store today. Thanks!

[ Edited by: Moai_Mama 2008-05-07 18:49 ]

On 2008-05-07 18:48, Moai_Mama wrote:
Anyone know what this might be and/or it's origin?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:31 ]

M

Yup. It's Mayan Crap. Prolly the hide was salvaged from a donkey show in TJ.

Hehehe, maybe I should pull that back off & make sure there's no hidden stash under dat TJ donkey hide?!

[ Edited by: Moai_Mama 2008-05-07 20:04 ]

On 2007-12-08 14:03, frankensteinsbride1313 wrote:
thanks!

it's a home ceramics piece...the little trays are for resting your spoon and tea bag on.....

B

Tipsy - that was my first guess to. Comes from living with Tea People (my folks).

On 2008-05-09 19:44, beadtiki wrote:
Tipsy - that was my first guess to. Comes from living with Tea People (my folks).

cheerio!!!

Pages: 1 21 replies