Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Orlando Tiki Events/Bar Meets

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha!

So...I am finally getting back into posting and visiting the TC Boards after a long hiatus.

Has anyone started any sort of structured (monthly, for example) Tiki activities in the Orlando, Florida area? If so, can anyone enlighten me?

If not, anyone else in the Orlando area interested in starting a monthly activity like visiting a bar, trip to the WDW Tiki Room (even though it's depressing), or something?

Mahalo Plenty!
TikiTackett

Absolutely! I'm always up for a meeting of the local ohana, especially if it involves rum. :wink: We do have a good group of people in the Orlando area, but I wouldn't exactly call us "structured". All it usually takes is someone setting the time and place for a get together and people will come. It would be tough, I think, to have a first-Friday-of-every-month sort of thing work, unless we had a regular spot to meet up. Since there's no Trader Vic's, Tiki Ti's or Mai-Kai's in town, that makes it tough for a tiki group. Waitiki downtown just doesn't cut it. There is Tchoup Chop at Universal. It's good, drinks are pretty good. It's just a bit pricey.

Has anyone tried Jinja Bar & Bistro in Lake Mary? From their ad: "... inventive Asian menu and a bar that will transport you to the tropics with vintage drinks of the 1930s and 1940s". Sounds promising.

Or we could also do the rotating home bar thing, if there's enough interest from everyone. We'd make our home bar available for it.

P

WHAT?!?

It is your solemn duty to get there asap, you mid-state slackers.

I thought Jinja went out of business. I was there back in Oct; last I heard tho, they canceled their music, then shut their doors a month later.

Still looking forward to my visit down there in January to St. Pete. Not sure what Pablus and the Bay area ohana are cooking up for the 11th or 12th but I am sure it'll be fun, Rusty Key?

I know it may be "taboo" (lol), but what about the Tambu Lounge at Disney's Polynesian? It's free parking, and the drinks are "reasonably priced".

Just a thought. I have to see if my discount applies to alcohol...

(^_^)
TiKi

G

Bummer. Apparently this slacker slacked off for too long. I guess Tim is right. The phone # for Jinja just gets a busy signal all the time and the web site doesn't list a Florida location anymore. Odd since the ad I quoted was in a mailer that I received just last month. I guess they plan those adverts way in advance.

On 2007-12-11 18:26, Tikitackett wrote:
I know it may be "taboo" (lol), but what about the Tambu Lounge at Disney's Polynesian? It's free parking, and the drinks are "reasonably priced".

Just a thought. I have to see if my discount applies to alcohol...

If your discount applies to your guests then I'll go anywhere. :) Seriously, I like Disney. Epcot especially. Spent a minor fortune there over the last 15 years. But as many times as I've walked through the Poly resort, I've never eaten there or seen the luau. I'd be up for dinner and drinks at least. I know TikiBree wanted to get a group of us to the luau sometime.

And by the way, Tikitackett, check your PMs.

i am down for meet up this weekend... friday.. Waitiki Downtown... anyone in??? i know they are not the best but its a central local???? whos in

N

OK, this is a month or so behind, but I'm newly (back!) in Orlando, and I'm seriously Jonesing for a Tiki fix. Keep me posted, please! My wife and I spent a little time at Tchoup Chop, and (??)Rick's American Bar(??) or whatever the name of the aviation themed place at the Royal Pacific Hotel at Universal.

Also, the Tambu lounge at the Poly is OK---not as cool since it was rehabbed a few years back, but the drinks (except for the Mai Tai) are decent.

I really can't understand with all the Theme-y places in Orlando why there isn't some sort of Poly palace somewhere. The Mai-Kai thrives in Lauderdale, for cryin' out loud!

Scott

I am totally down for hangin' with tiki Ohana in the area. My wife and I live in Ocala, bout' an hour north of you guys in Orlando. The Polynesian resort in Disney has some pretty good drinks, and the food is good upstairs in the restaurant next to bar. They have some pretty cool tikis as well. Other than that, I have been to Wai Tiki on Wall street, it's OK, but nothing amazing. I mostly hang out in my home bar, and I am currently building a room on the backside of the house which will be all tiki/Hawaiian themed as well as my backyard. I am getting a brand new Basement Kahuna bar built along with some other great tiki art and will definitely have a luau when room is complete. Aaron

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 1:36 PM

I'll be in Orlando March 19 - 25 (kids = Disney). If anyone is interested in a meet-up at the Polynesian send me a PM!

N

OK---

GatorRob, and others.....

We're meeting at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly at 7:30 next Thursday, March 20th...Any chance anyone else can make it? Love to meet some other TC'ers.....

Scott

TB

On 2008-03-13 19:56, new2tiki wrote:
OK---

GatorRob, and others.....

We're meeting at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly at 7:30 next Thursday, March 20th...Any chance anyone else can make it? Love to meet some other TC'ers.....

Scott

Hi Scott,
Sure wish I could, I'm booked that evening.
Have a wonderful time at the Polynesian and drink a Mai Tai for me:)

Are you coming to Hukilau?

G

Thursdays are no good. (Kids and work, you know.) Sorry! Have a great time and look for the little Marquesan brackets that are holding up the various clubs on the wall in the restaurant. They're quite nice and I do covet them. :)

J

While we're on the subject ... I'll be in Orlando April 30th-May 4th. Not sure which night(s) will be free yet (I have to attend some work things), but would love to meet up with folks at the Polynesian one night. I'll have a better idea of my schedule around April 20th and will let you all know then.
Cheers!

N

JT:

We'll be in if it fits with work....keep us posted.

Scott

PI

My husband and I are up for whatever. We go to the Poly every few months for drinks and watching the fireworks on the beach.

We live by Universal (and he works there) so we go to Rick Cafe American @ Royal Pacific a lot.

J

Well folks, it looks like the only night that we can do a meet-up will be Wednesday, April 30, around 8:30 or 9:00. The powers-that-be have booked up most of our evenings with mandatory events (but one of those is a private concert by Cindi Lauper, so I'm not complaining). We really want to see the Polynesian Resort, so is the Tambu Lounge a good place to do a meet-up?

Please let me know if this will work for any of you.

Mahalo!
Jen

G

Yikes, week nights are no good for me, I'm afraid. Especially since Disney is about an hour away. We should see you at Ben's on Sunday though! Tell Cyndi I said "hi". We go WAAAaaaaayyy back. She was going to name the song "Girls Just Wanna Have Guns" and I told her "no, no, wait a sec..." :wink:

J

Okay gang, I've received a couple of PMs and will be seeing some of you at the Tambu Lounge tomorrow night around 8:30 or 9:00. I'll check PMs once more tonight, then will be on a plane most of tomorrow, so if you don't make up your mind until tomorrow, just show up. There are pics of me in many of the California Events threads, and it's likely that I'll be wearing a black & ivory Forbidden Island shirt, and I'll be with my handsome best friend, so I shouldn't be too hard to find. See ya tomorrow!
Jen

Pages: 1 19 replies