Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Old TRADER VIC'S Emeryville Tikis?

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

Ahoy hoy, all.

In a rare venture out into the realm of "hunting and gathering" Team Midnite came across these a while ago. I'd been meaning to go back, take a few snappies, post them here for all to peruse. They're up here in Frisco on Union St., at a nearby, pay through the nose*, antique & vintage type shop. The pair caught my eye enough to investigate the accompanying info card. Trader Vic's! Emeryville? Old location??

Hmmmm?...not too sure, although I thought I'd post the pics nonetheless:

They're a big couple, the female is on the right. I'd say they're around 6 1/2 feet minimum and quite heavy. Stuck in the corner like that they were near impossible to move out and get better shots, but I did move them a bit and can attest to heir solidness. Heavy and likely older items these, but the provenance is murky. I did not inquire any further about the pieces but could if anyone was that interested.

*My initial interest was quickly, and profoundly, affected by the number of digits used to establish the seller's desired price. Presented with a reliable history of the pieces I'd hazard a guess these could be a valuable pair. That said, even if I were presented with the aforementioned trusted provenance, I wouldn't be a buyer at a price anywhere near:

Cha-ching! I'm having decimal trouble with that number, my pockets ain't that deep.

el midnite in San Fran (same old location)

D

dude.. 'frisco'? ow

valuable pair indeed.

TM

On 2007-12-11 13:43, dogbytes wrote:
dude.. 'frisco'? ow

valuable pair indeed.

I like "San Fran"......Ha! Sorry, back on topic now...

"Old Location?"

I thought the Emeryville location has always been the Emerville location. I wonder if they are trying to say it is the old location because it is older than the newly opened San Francisco location (which is not in the same place as the original San Francisco location)...

And I agree, that decimal placement makes it hard to adopt them.

Could be from there, but why would Emeryville let go of any carvings? And the paint job looks like it was applied later, not done well, looks wrong. I would say this dealer hopes the well-off bay area Pixar Tikiphiles would go for them, who else would pay that. But while those folks do make good money and have created fine Tiki home and work environments, they are no fools.

M

"Could be from there, but why would Emeryville let go of any carvings?"

That's pretty much as I have believed all along. I just don't have any further info. It's the type of consignment joint wherein the sellers are not present, makes it difficult for any info gathering.

Nonetheless, a bit of reason struck the seller and these lovely, if not a bit African-looking, carvings have been reduced to only $1850. If I had concrete provenance on these we could be talking ballpark. I mean think about it, real Trader Vic's stuff is becoming a bit rarer around these parts, cough cough nudge nudge.

Say no more!
midnite

Pages: 1 5 replies