Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

If you could pick only one...

Pages: 1 16 replies

B

Yup, this is one of those, stranded on an island type threads, but about rum instead of music!

I would like to hear what your one favorite bottle of sipping rum would be, since you may not have things to mix this with on the island.... I am looking to learn what I can of the best sipping rums, probably dark in nature with subtle hints of other flavors.

Mahalo!

Man, that's a good question. I would have to say, that special bottle of El Dorado something-or-other, that Scottes had at his rum tasting a while back. To be honest, it was towards the end of the list, which meant that after 3 cocktails and 10 other rums tried, I can't say that I was in my right mind, but this one left quite an impression. I remember asking for seconds, but not whether or not I got any. Probably not. Or maybe I did, and just didn't want to admit it to myself so's to justify asking again. Probably the latter.

S

Tim, I'm pretty sure that was the El Dorado 15-year-old. If you're up Wednesday for the meeting Bargoyle should be bringing it (I left it at the Lono Lounge and didn't notice for 2 months...) You might not have gotten seconds because you were busy behind the bar and forgot. It was on the table all night long...

Only one.... I might also go for the ED 15, since there is so much to explore in that rum.

But then I'd miss my favorite, Ron Zacapa 23-year-old.

And since this is a fantasy, why not the Pyrat Cask 1623?? I could lose myself in that rum discovering new flavors for quite some time...

I would bring my El Dorado 15..no doubt.

On 2007-12-11 14:24, Scottes wrote:
Tim, I'm pretty sure that was the El Dorado 15-year-old. If you're up Wednesday for the meeting Bargoyle should be bringing it (I left it at the Lono Lounge and didn't notice for 2 months...) You might not have gotten seconds because you were busy behind the bar and forgot. It was on the table all night long...

Only one.... I might also go for the ED 15, since there is so much to explore in that rum.

But then I'd miss my favorite, Ron Zacapa 23-year-old.

And since this is a fantasy, why not the Pyrat Cask 1623?? I could lose myself in that rum discovering new flavors for quite some time...

He forgot the rum, didn't he?

S

Easy one for me. Having spent many months on a low carb diet and mixed drinks were out, I was left with just straight alcohol to drink. I worked my way through the rums on hand and in the stores. Barbencourt 5 year, 8 year, 17 year; El Do 12 year, Lemon Hart, Pusser's, Myer's, Brugal, Angastura, Coruba, Mont Gay, Cohiba, Appleton, etc, etc. I tried everything available. Hands down, not even close really, the only rum I drink straight is St. James Royal Amber. Not the H'ors D'age, not the Extra Old. Tried those too! I have not found anything that drinks so smooth and finishes so clean. The aged stuff has a bite to it that I don't like. Some stuff was just awful like the Cohiba. Yetch!

The Swank Pad endorses Saint James Royal Ambre. Ask for it by name!

S

On 2007-12-23 07:20, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:

On 2007-12-11 14:24, Scottes wrote:
Bargoyle should be bringing it

He forgot the rum, didn't he?

Yes, he did...

Only one?

Well, any of these would be my stranded on the island picks:

El Dorado 15
Ron Zacapa 23
Saint James Amber (or Hors d age, I like them both)
Cruzan Single Barrel Estate (guilty pleasure of mine)
Appleton Estate Extra (Black label) or VX (Red Label)

There are others, but they are hard to find down here, so I kept my list to things I might actually have when South Florida finally goes under water.....

Larry's Discount Liquors White Rumme. Bottled right here in Brockton, MA. It's not really white, more violet. But at $7 a bottle you could bring a lot more rum to the island. Ooops, I meant 'rumme', that's like rum, right? and the plastic bottles are shatterproof!

(just wanted to see if I could kill Scott--Scott are you still breathing?)

P

Ron Pampero Anniversario

Only one, huh?

Then for me it would have to be Appleton Estates 21 Year old.

S

On 2007-12-23 11:15, pappythesailor wrote:
Larry's Discount Liquors White Rumme. Bottled right here in Brockton, MA.

You had me going for a second there...

Havana Club 7
nuff said

V

As long as we're fantasizin', I guess I'd go for the HC Maximo. Then after I drank the bottle I could make a raft from the case that it comes in and paddle my way off the island.

P.S. Has anybody ever tried it?

T

Pyrat Planters 1623 ... Gave this as X-mas gifts to some A list clients !!!!

Well, if it's Fantasy Island, I'd go for that bottle of St. James 1937 I tried back in March. That was a religious experience, to say the least! Although, why stop there, and go for the whole thing, the 1885, which was there on display, available for the low low price of 3000 euros. Buy now, while supplies last!

On 2007-12-24 10:42, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Although, why stop there, and go for the whole thing, the 1885, which was there on display, available for the low low price of 3000 euros. Buy now, while supplies last!

I just saw it on EBay italy for 8.200 euro..is that where you saw it too?

Pages: 1 16 replies