Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where to buy large stone/ceramic Tiki statues?

Pages: 1 17 replies

I've been asked by someone in Utah where to get hold of large (2-6 foot) Tiki statues. While I know of a couple of places in the UK which sell 'em, the real experts on obtaining such stoneworks in the US must reside on this board.

Can anyone help?

Trader Woody

hi trader woody
as a fellow uk tiki fan, where in the uk can i find these statues? as you know anything tiki is hard to find over here!

cheers
the flying tiki

I found an Easter Island style birdbath at a local nursery. (Very cool.) It was manufactured in Victoria BC., but I don't know the company name. Seems like nurseries often have tiki-like stonework although it usually has an African look rather than polynesian. Birdbath cost $199.00.

[ Edited by: Mrtikibar on 2003-02-15 12:53 ]

I found these a couple of months ago at a nursery in Rosemead, Ca. The store name is in the pics, I forgot what street it was on. The statue was being sold for 3K.

Hey Rock-A-Tiki, thanks for the pics. I'll pass the Rosemead Gardens name on. Yep, mrtikibar, those garden centres are often happy hunting grounds for such things. One of the UK places which sells them is mainly a garden supplies shop.

The other in the UK, flyingtiki, is our own Black Bank Tiki who carves his own, as seen here:
http://www.stonefaces.co.uk

I'm hoping to go up and investigate soon!

Trader Woody

There's a carver just south of the border in Rosarito that you can get a pretty big stone Moai from. I think the going rate was about $400 but you would have to check and be sure. I can't remember this guy's name though. I could find out for you.

Here's an example of one of his moais. This pic is by Winky Tiki:
http://www.winkytiki.com/pinups/jessica/jc1.jpg

[ Edited by: suicide_sam on 2003-02-18 12:31 ]

S

Hey Suicide Sam,

Are you thinking of 'Pepe' from Pepe's Tikis and Sea Shells?

This guy carves tikis made to order for reasonable prices. We have a few of his palm tikis and one small stone.

Very nice guy but he is limited on palm, so it's B.Y.O.P.

I also saw a couple huge stone tikis (Shecky style) just about a 1/4 mile down from Pepe (just outside of Rosarito). They were very cool but I did not have the vehicle or the funds to take them home (about $400 as well).

Anyhoo, I don't know if this helps but there you go.

D

a TikiCentralite's mom made tikis.. they posted pics to this (or the old board) but i've been searching, but cant seem to find who it is!

does this ring a bell with anyone? she lived in lodi/modesto/stockton...

Yeah, Dogbytes, that DOES ring a bell. They were pretty damn cool if I recall. That was a good while back.....hmmmmm.

So, is Pepe a good source? Anywhere they can be ordered online at all?

Cheers for all the info so far, folks.

Trader Woody

K

Yeh, that was my Mom. I think she's retiring from the statuary business, so you may be able to get a quantity deal if you want.

Her website is: http://www.eddiwillson.com/tiki/Tiki_Cove.htm

Sample:

Aloha...

[ Edited by: kingslod on 2003-02-19 18:46 ]

D

On 2003-02-19 18:44, kingslod wrote:
Yeh, that was my mom

YAY i wasnt imagining an entire thread!

AHA! Kingslod, that is your mama? You are the computer whiz they told me about. She only lives about a mile away from me. I bought Max, the Nosey Neighbor, stuck it on my fence. I get a lot of kicks out of that guy. People think someone is staring at them. I also put a link to her site on mine.
Sorry, when I read this thread it just didn't register that she was the one Dogbytes was talking about. Duh! Your mom and dad are good people, it was a pleasure to meet them.

On 2003-02-19 21:06, jungletrader wrote:
Sorry, when I read this thread it just didn't register that she was the one Dogbytes was talking about. Duh! Your mom and dad are good people, it was a pleasure to meet them.

Thanks! I'm happy you're enjoying one of those Fence Fiends! Personally they give me the willies. I'm always doing double takes when I see them out the corner of my eye. My daughter loves the flat cats and dogs, though. Her personal favorite is a squirrel that she has to hug and kiss every morning.

Unfortunately, the economy and years of hard labor (pouring cement, lifting and moving statues, etc.) have caught up with my Mom, and she's getting out of the cement statuary business. Although she may still license her carvings to larger wholesalers.

Everybody here should order a Tiki! They're very solid...durable and heavy. Perfect for your patio, bar or grotto.

Thanks for the kind words.

--kingslod (David)

Hey Sten tiki, yeah I think it must be Pepe, Uncle Artie saw the pic and suggested the same guy so that's probably him.

S-Sam,
Stentiki and Uncle Arty are the same person...

M

For those visiting the San Francisco Bay Area: The Long's Drugs at 5100 Broadway in Oakland, ca (510-654-3460). Has a good selection of cement tikis for sale. Most are between $30 and $100 each. They are outside in the Garden department. Look in BOTH sections of the garden dept. because some are usually hidden in the plants in addition to the official "tiki section". Both the store manager and the Garden manager (Marina) like the look of the tiki's so they are always re-ordering them when one is sold. I am also going to post this in the tiki crawl section for those going to Trader vic's and the Ugh house.
They are open 6am to midnight 7 days a week.

Wow...wish my Long's drug store would stock them....do you need a prescription for them? Is there a Doctor in the house? Can Dr Z can you authorize a purchase?

Tiki rioder 5-0 sez"Wow...wish my Long's drug store would stock them....do you need a
prescription for them? Is there a Doctor in the house? Can Dr Z can you
authorize a purchase?"

I sez"these statues are strictly "over the counter". Unless, of course, someone isn't strong enough to lift them."

Pages: 1 17 replies